CM Punk claims Jon Moxley said he wouldn't lose to him, calls Chris Jericho a 'liar and a stooge'

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/03/23/cm-punk-claims-jon-moxley-said-he-wouldnt-lose-to-him-calls-chris-jericho-a-liar-and-a-stooge/

In a now-deleted post, CM Punk makes several claims relating to AEW and his colleagues. 

Since the fallout from All Out 2022 involving CM Punk, Ace Steel and The Elite (Kenny Omega, Matt & Nick Jackson), Omega was the first to speak publicly on the matter when he appeared on The Sessions with Renée Paquette. The Elite returned to AEW at the 2022 Full Gear pay-per-view.

CM Punk commented on matters relating to AEW in a now-deleted Instagram post that was screenshotted. He noted that the plan was for him to wrestle at the pay-per-view and he listened to an idea from Jon Moxley. 

Punk felt the idea was not good but was willing to do it if that’s what AEW President Tony Khan wanted. Punk claims that Moxley said he would not lose to him and he laughed at that. He went on to ask Tony if that’s what he wanted and claims that Khan said yes. 

The former AEW World Champion added that he needed to be cleared first, but noted that the idea of it being a squash match was suggested so he wouldn’t have to get cleared. He said is health is more important and went on to call Chris Jericho a liar and a stooge. Punk noted that there were plans but plans change and he’ll never put a company over his health again. 

SIGH. I wasn’t cleared to come back to wrestle yet. Then plan was to wrestle at the ppv. I sat and listened to moxleys Rocky three idea. I explained how I’d never seen a Rocky movie.I and thought the idea sucked but if the boss wanted to do it whatever. He said he wouldn’t lose to me. I’d never experienced someone refusing to lose to me. I just laughed. I asked Tony if this was what he wanted. He said yes. He’s the boss so I said okay but I’d need to be cleared first. They kept saying it could just be a squash se l didn’t need to be cleared. I scoffed at that. My health i more important. Dave Meltzer is a liar. Jericho is a liar and a stooge. There were plans but plans always change but I’ll never put a company above my health ever again.

Posted and deleted.

Interesting… pic.twitter.com/CzAIkduh1Q

— WrestlePurists (@WrestlePurists) March 23, 2023

POST Wrestling spoke about the Punk-AEW situation in late 2022 and to listen to that clip, head over to our YouTube channel.

Lost a lot of respect for Punk when he said he’s never seen a Rocky movie

5 Likes

Punk and burning bridges. Name a more iconic duo.

1 Like

Absolutely incredible. Calls out Dave Meltzer and puts Jericho in his place.

I agree with him - Mox winning and then losing helped no one but Mox. Punk should have won it at the PPV without the match happening two weeks earlier. Mox went into business for himself trying to protect his brand and Punk was in the right IMO. The build was stupid with him losing first. One time at the PPV and Mox bleeds (makes Mox happy) and jobs (make Punk happy). Win win.

I mean, that’s my main takeaway.

I take everything he says with a grain of salt, as much as anybody else.

It’s all silly bullshit that will work itself out.

Also, Punk is claiming Moxley pitched himself in a Rocky 3 angle playing the Clubber Lang role - who loses the rematch to Rocky. Yet Punk is claiming Moxley also says he refused to lose? Doesn’t exactly add up.

1 Like

This is all so dumb. All sides just need to shut up. Nobody looks good in this.

Only thing I do agree with, is the flip flopping of the titles was dumb. I didnt like it at the time either.

1 Like

I assume by “Rocky III” he’s referring to Punk getting squashed then coming back to win. But in my heart of hearts, I want that to mean he pitched a Thunderlips cameo.

2 Likes

The problem is Mox probably be bled too many pints of blood to have enough oxygen go to his brain to realize that Rocky 3 he didn’t fight him two weeks later. He took a long time off and then trained differently with Apollo to have that quickness and change in style to combat that. He was also dealing with a mental trauma of his Coach dying.

That build was dumb. They should have done one PPV match with him getting the win. Could have easily done a storyline in that match where he was battling ring rust and doubt or a promo to that extent. Not having him be squashed one week and winning the title 2 weeks later WITH NO CHANGE IN ROUTINE/PRACTICE.

Mox went into business for himself with a dumb idea. Punk knew it was dumb but like a pro did what his boss wanted.

How did Mox allegedly go into business for himself by pitching an angle to his boss and opponent?
That’s the exact opposite of that phrase.

Also, it’s funny that Punk claims the whole refusing to lose to somebody - yet - it’s come out that he did the same thing to Hangman a couple months earlier. Also allegedly.

Again, this thing is stupid.

All of this went on between our favourites in the 80’s and 90’s, but thankfully they didn’t have social media platforms to address it and stir drama.

Another IG update from Punk… Things are getting suuuuper spicy.

4 Likes

I mean went into business by proposing a more convoluted angle than the simple one to make himself look better.

You are very smart guy and a promoter so I’m sure you know better than me but I would assume that if a talent came to you saying that he doesn’t want to lose at a big show but two weeks earlier wants to squash that guy and then he’ll drop the title back two weeks later - it’s probably because that talent wants to save face with a squash win and not because he thinks they’re gonna draw more money for a rematch after a squash versus a first run

1 Like

If Mox really wanted to build the match more, he should’ve beaten Punk and have the rematch two months later. Give punk time to come out and say he wasn’t ready but he’s gonna go away and become more violent. Have him trained and come back and then you have a rocky three type story and maybe punk comes into that match and shows us a new style of offence, maybe you show some more brutal side to him self and he’s more violent in a gimmick death match. There’s a story there. This was just dumb for the sake of being dumb simply to protect Mox that was proposed by Mox.

1 Like

I think given the timeframe - AEW wanted Punk’s big win in Chicago. So due to the simple logistics of it all, timing wise, the booking only could work in a condensed fashion.

I don’t think Moxley was out of line for looking for a small victory in the overall story. As viewers, we all know Punk was getting that title back at some point.

The story wasn’t perfect, but I’d say that Moxley win vs. Punk put the slightest seed of doubt in the eventual Punk win. The lose Punk took didn’t hurt him in the slightest at that time, and again, it was all in building to a couple weeks later to put the title on him in his hometown.

The job of a booker comes down greatly to a balancing a variety of personalities, egos, and emotions, all in the hopes of putting on the best show you can for an audience.

If at an independent level, somebody is refusing to do the job and wants to squash their opponent - there are a variety factors you have to look at. One, being trust. Is there any reason to believe they will or won’t change their mind in the future and pull this again. Another is the fact playing hardball and politics at an indie level can backfire on a talent quickly. Word spreads and gets around. People don’t want to work with assholes.

And extending that to a company like AEW or WWE or Impact… People don’t like working with assholes. Reputation matters.

Ask yourself how many people have ever come out and publicly bashed Jon Moxley? He’s been called a company man through and through. Ask yourself the same about Punk (not necessarily AEW, but throughout his career).

I also think in this specific story, it’s entirely possible that Moxley was working on a handshake deal. If you’re working on securing him to something long term (as they announced in the fall they did), you’ve gotta give a little and compromise. So that was definitely at play.

I think again, overall this story coming out now - and I rarely put the blame on him - but is completely Meltzer stirring shit up (as this happened due to a message board post he made the other day). This is unnecessary drama that serves nobody.

2 Likes

What exactly did Dave say? Yeah, I’ve heard a lot of people saying that he stirring the pot here.

Yes, I really haven’t heard much about Mox other than the WWE stuff he didn’t like the bad creative but I guess that’s totally understandable. And the SCSA pod.

1 Like

Ahhh. If that isn’t true then it probably shouldn’t haven been said. Probably is what set off Punk

1 Like

And look - I want to see Punk and AEW mend fences more than anything in wrestling right now. But at some point, if everybody is an asshole except Punk in every story… Maybe he’s the asshole?

1 Like

Absolutely.

Like it really felt things seemed resolved or that this issue was getting cleared up. And then… Dave posted that and stirred the pot.

I am a Dave defender. But yeah.

Oh, I have no doubt he’s an asshole – he is extremely egotistical , quite antisocial, and obviously has issues getting along with others, especially those that he did not listen to him.

I mean look at what he did to his best friend

2 Likes

Oh boy. Haha