CM Punk not interested in wrestling KENTA, says his AEW run has exceeded expectations

Originally published at CM Punk not interested in wrestling KENTA, says his AEW run has exceeded expectations

A match with KENTA is not on CM Punk’s radar.

With AEW and NJPW’s Forbidden Door show coming in June, multiple talents from both companies have been asked about the event and who they would be interested in sharing the ring with from the opposite company.

CM Punk is heading into an AEW World Title match at Double or Nothing against the champion Hangman Adam Page, but while being interviewed by Comicbook.com, he was asked if a match with KENTA interests him. Here was Punk’s response to the idea of him taking on KENTA:

No.

As far as his run in AEW goes, Punk said it has exceeded expectations. He went on to address those who criticize pro wrestling based off television ratings.

This run has been more than what I expected. I had expectations. They were pretty high. So far, they’ve pretty much shattered all that, and that’s just based on analytics and numbers of how well we’re doing. I’ve long said that I’m there for the fans in the building. Nowadays everybody is still focused on ratings numbers when cable is absolutely — I canceled DirecTV months ago. I just, I couldn’t do it anymore. It’s too convoluted. It’s too expensive. Streaming services are, I feel like, are the future. So when people look at ratings and say that wrestling is dying, I say, ‘Well look at our buildings. We’re selling out and we’re doing our first million-dollar gate.’ So I don’t attribute that just to me. I attribute that to the spirit of AEW and everybody behind the scenes that makes it all work and makes it all click.

But the run, my run specifically, my stuff as a whole, I’ve never been happier in a wrestling ring. I’ve never, to me, been telling more fluid, better, reality-based stories. It’s been a real treat.

Along with Punk versus Hangman, here’s the updated lineup for Double or Nothing:

• BUY-IN: Hook & Danhausen vs. Tony Nese & ‘Smart’ Mark Sterling
  • Men’s Owen Hart Foundation Tournament Final: TBD vs. TBD
  • Women’s Owen Hart Foundation Tournament Final: TBD vs. TBD
  • AEW Women’s World Championship: Thunder Rosa (c) vs. Serena Deeb
  • AEW World Championship: Hangman Adam Page (c) vs. CM Punk
1 Like