Cody Rhodes details exchange with John Cena on WWE Raw, told Cena he would like to wrestle him

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/03/19/cody-rhodes-details-exchange-with-john-cena-on-wwe-raw-told-cena-he-would-like-to-wrestle-him/

Cody also explained why he feels Dusty Rhodes would not want to be in his corner at WrestleMania. 

With WrestleMania 39 being a week away, the talents of WWE are making the media rounds to promote the forthcoming event. 

On night two of WrestleMania, Cody Rhodes is challenging Roman Reigns for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship. On the lead up to that match, there was a moment with Rhodes and the returning John Cena on Monday Night Raw. 

Afterwards, Cody tweeted, ‘Reward their noise every time’ which was thought to be what Cena said to Rhodes during their on-screen moment. Rhodes shared in an interview with ‘Stadium Astro’ that what he tweeted was what Cena said to him during a car ride in the early 2000s. What Rhodes said to Cena was if he were to do another match, he would like it to be with him and Cena said he cannot promise that. 

So, actually, that was something he told me in the car when I was driving him around in 2008? 2009? (Rhodes referring to his ‘reward their noise’ tweet)… What he said to me on Raw was I was telling him if he ever does another match, I would like it to be with (me) and I think you could hear him pretty well, he says, ‘I can’t promise that.’ But I also didn’t want to make it about myself in that moment so I just endlessly thanked him and then he was at the Nightmare Factory a week later talking to our students.

Elsewhere during the conversation, Cody explained why he feels Dusty Rhodes would not have wanted to be in his corner for WrestleMania 39 and would have rather watched from somewhere private. 

That’s a great question (what advice Dusty Rhodes would have given me heading into WrestleMania 39). I know that a lot of people in the industry have kind of their opinions on — of course their opinions and their anecdotes and their stories on my father and one thing I can tell people is nobody knew him as well as me or my sister. No one knew him as well as we did and knowing that, I don’t think he would have wanted to be in my corner. I think he would have wanted to be somewhere private, where he could just enjoy it. He really had a great appreciation for what he did already and any time I tried to drag him out to do something, he would do it for me because he loved me but also, he wanted to say goodbye at the right time and I think that’s why he liked being behind the scenes with NXT and working with someone like a Roman Reigns. So I think he’d be hiding somewhere watching this and I think if he could tell me anything as far as advice, the thing he always used to say when it came to a great TV match, a great moment that you were gonna have on Raw or SmackDown, he’d always say, ‘Hit your finish. Hit your finish.’ It’s just an old school mentality of consistently reminding your audience this is the thing that puts this match away, this is the thing. He had the ‘Bionic Elbow’, I have ‘Cross Rhodes’ and ‘hit your finish’ sounds awfully a lot like ‘finish the story’ in my case and I think they would go hand in hand.

John Cena weighed in on the sexual misconduct allegations against Vince McMahon and POST Wrestling recapped those comments at this link

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Stadium Astro with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.