Cody Rhodes wants Matt Cardona back in WWE

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/03/12/cody-rhodes-wants-matt-cardona-back-in-wwe/

Matt Cardona becomes the topic of conversation during Cody Rhodes’ interview. 

Weeks away from challenging Roman Reigns for the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship at WrestleMania 39, Cody Rhodes is continuing to make the media rounds to promote the match and show(s). 

He was welcomed onto the Good Karma Wrestling podcast and one of the topics discussed was Matt Cardona. Rhodes expressed how proud he is of the former NWA Worlds Heavyweight Champion. 

Cardona is a free agent and while Rhodes thinks it’d be cool for him to land in AEW, he wants Cardona in WWE and thinks it’d be ‘off the charts’ to see him back in the company. 

I’m really proud of him. He’s out there, he’s doing the ‘Indie God’ thing with the Indiana Jones hats. Everything Matt’s doing, Matt has been the king of the indies now, this is going on year two. You only usually get one run in that role, you know? He’s going on year two. What Matt does next is gonna be huge. If he goes to AEW, that’d be cool but if he comes back to WWE, that’s what I want, it would be off the charts. I think he’s a huge get, a huge free agent, he’s the best he’s ever been but he’s really pissed me off. I have no good karma with Matt Cardona at the moment.

He continued to speak about Cardona and told the story of when he set up a meeting for Cardona with someone in management ‘somewhere’. 

Rhodes shared that during the meeting, Cardona stated that he would not be wearing Nightmare Family apparel or associating himself with Rhodes on-screen. 

I have this story about Matt (Cardona) which I’m gonna tell eventually about watching his first meeting with a certain member of management somewhere, how he tanked this meeting right in front of me and then one big line he hit in the meeting that I’ll never forget, this is one of my real life friends. He said, ‘I just wanna make it clear, I’m never putting on a Nightmare Family jacket or associating myself with him on-screen.’ I got you the meeting! Why!? Why did you just — under the bus right away so and then he said some other things that I’ll save for the story in a more longform setting but, I love Matt Cardona, I’m greatly irritated with him at the moment.

In February, Cardona challenged for the NWA Worlds Title at ‘Nuff Said’. He most recently wrestled for IMPACT Wrestling at their January tapings and challenged for the Digital Media Title

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Good Karma Wrestling with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions. 

With all the talent WWE has on its roster, I have a hard time seeing someone like Cardona slotting in, and I have an even harder time seeing the WWE fans accepting him as anything more then what he was. Its like Dolph, they are conditioned to not care about him. Maybe enough time has passed, but I just dont see it working.

You can get a good return pop and maybe squeeze out an angle where he is Cody’s boy who gets beatdown. But otherwise, there’s no value in Matt Cardona in WWE. He’s not a draw, he’s not a good enough worker or over enough that he can elevate guys… maybe he’s good for morale in the locker room, but that’s about it.

1 Like