Cody to face Dustin Rhodes at Double or Nothing in Las Vegas

Other than Bret/Owen…when has a brother vs brother storyline in pro wrestling worked?

And why are people labelling those with legit questions as “wanting them to fail?”…this place is littered with questioning everything the major companies have been doing…but somehow when someone does the same for an unproven company it’s all…“whatever hater”.

1 Like

There are people that are dead set on complaining about every last thing the majors do as well. I don’t find it exclusive to AEW, and it’s equally as annoying.

1 Like

So you’d prefer Cody debut a world title and wrestle in the main event for that instead? No…you’d definitely whine about that.

You whine about a middle of the card match with a 50 year old man.

So unless you want him in the battle royal, it doesn’t seem like Cody can win with you.

2 Likes

Exactly.

But hey HHH can be in the longest and most boring match every year at Mania, Shane can jump off structures and have long matches at Mania, Vince and Stephanie can be involved every week - thats fine.

And brother feuds can work - if booked correctly.

2 Likes

Funny how it’s labbelled “whining” when you don’t like the topic at hand.

It just reinforces my observation on how there’s a totally different set of rules and standards when it comes to certain wrestling companies…

Nice use of putting words into people’s mouths that were never said…total deflection tactic.

And brother vs brother feuds can work… except there’s only one real example of it actually working.

If booked correctly…lmao…yeah anything can work IF BOOKED CORRECTLY. Hot take.

Yeah, WWE doesn’t know how to book them. We know that.

Maybe AEW will be more successful. Seeing as it’s Cody and Dustin probably putting it together and not a 75-year-old man, I think it may have a chance.

People are free to be critical as they see fit. I have a tendency to be very critical of WWE, especially in comparison of AEW. This is because I desperately want any kind of viable alternative in the US market and this the best chance for that since TNA’s heydey.

I’m not even saying competition. WWE is their own thing. But an alternative for both fans and workers. History has also shown that if WWE feels any kind of threat they tend to get better. So yeah, I’m personally rooting for AEW at pretty much every turn.

Name another company that booked brother vs brother successfully? I like how you seemingly like to equate all of pro wrestling to just WWE.

Look at this guy already saying something’s a success before we even see it…same guy who in other threads has already deemed people who just debuted as busts and shit on anything just starting on TV without giving it time…shocker.

The Steiners in WCW helped build Scott into a main eventer, I enjoyed that.

TNA booked the Hardys better than WWE ever did (maybe because the performers had more of a say than a crazy 78-year-old man).

Never said anything was a success, just have more faith that the Rhodes brothers themselves will tell a better story than Vince.

Oh yeah…Steiners really helped them win ratings battles and is looked back on fondly…oh wait.

Lmao booked the Hardy’s better…naw that delete shit was terrible no matter where it was.

More faith in a company that hasn’t done one tv taping and only do ten minute videos on YouTube over that 38472 year old man who has driven their stock to over $100?

Ok pal…enjoy your delusion.

Actually it is. WWE brought back the exact character that came out of the turn.

If it’s so terrible why did the genius Vince and WWE bring back that exact same character (to pathetic results).

You mean the same company that sold out Vegas faster than WWE ever did?

Hahwhahahahahhaha equating a show to a stock price that is worth more than a ticket price.

I don’t think anyone should be surprised by “The Elite” being extremely self serving. They named the whole promotion after themselves!

1 Like

100 percent right. How can you compare a few ticket sales to a parabolic rise in stock price ?

This.

Regardless of whether the Impact/Hardy saga was your personal cup of tea or not, there’s no denying it was done better than their Fed fued. It was a fairly fresh take on storytelling that (by Impact’s extremely low standards) actually improved business for a short time until the story ran it’s course.

The trick isn’t launching the feud between brothers, almost anyone can do that successfully (WCW even managed to do it w/Harlem Heat for a week or two in ‘00 before the angle went sideways), it’s turning that initial shock into a compelling story. Not an easy task, but I tend to give the Rhodes’ boys the benefit of the doubt on this one.

I’m still not drinking the AEW Kool-Aid until I see their TV product, but nothing they’ve done so far signals that Double Or Nothing will be a bust creatively or financially. We shall see. :100:

2 Likes

Comparing WWE success and AEW success is any way, shape or form is remarkably silly for so many different reasons.

2 Likes

I watch this match as a way to attract some of the casual fans to sample their product. They already have the IWC in their pocket. That’s their main crowd and will remained their main crowd for a while. Now they need to attract fans like me that don’T watch that much wrestling outside WWE or barely watch wrestling anymore. That’S the match that will intrigue that crowd because we know who cody rhodes is and who dustin rhodes is. We are intrigue by the match to see who will win the battle between the rhodes brothers. That’s the hook for us.

If i look at the AEW roster right now, the only people that i considered top stars in the company are cody, dustin and chris jericho because that the only three that i’m familiar with. The only thing i know about kenny omega is that he wrestled in deep south wrestling since it’s the only time i saw him wrestled, and wasn’t really impress with him at the time, so To me, Jericho is wrestling a lower card guy because that’s all i know about him. Same with the third big match with the lucha bros vs the young bucks. I know who the lucha bros are thanks to IMPACT which i watch on occasion. But again to me, the only thing i know about the bucks is what i saw from them during their TNA run a few years back and back then, i thought they were just a poor man’s version of the hardy’s so again, not really interested in a match between a team i considered as one of the best in modern wrestling vs a team that i considered hardy boys ripoff. And as far as the rest of the guy, i’m not familiar with any of those wrestlers so why should a care about them. So that why the cody vs dustin match is on the card. to hopefully get fan like me to pay money to see the event live and make us discover the others talents they have in the company and let’s face it, they did pick my curiosity with this match so i might actually buy the event just to see that match and maybe enjoyed the rest of the show.

It must suck to be wrong about almost everything all the time

1 Like

Yeah, why?

Cody is marginal and his brother is like 50 :joy:

1 Like