Cody to WWE?

I mean, the amount of programs that should be no-brainers and “write themselves” in WWE over the last 20+ years is countless. None of which were allowed to.

Finn Balor is a low card guy, so yeah that could work. Probably would work on Main Event

1 Like

I mean do those write themselves? What is “Finn Balor’s” beef with Cody? Or AJs? If you are incorporating stuff from outside WWE, then WWE isn’t going to tell that story. I mean doesn’t AJ vs Finn have the same story built in and has that happened?

2 Likes

They can always have Cody upset with Finn because he got a shampoo commercial.

2 Likes

WWE loves a triple threat - could have a Too Sweet sign on a pole match.

I know WWE will never tell that story. They had a little 10 second sketch on tv once of " The Club" passing Finn and that’s about all you’re going to get. But we can all fantasy book, and just pretend that WWE are likeminded people and want to do the fans justice…

2 Likes

If that were the case they would do a roster split and headline Raw with Finn, AJ, Walter, KO. Move to the NXT black and gold style, and make Smackdown what it is with your larger guys like Roman, Brock, Lashley. Present 2 different products.

1 Like

Guess we’ll find out Wednesday, but… What if the announcement is that the Khan family has purchased either RoH, IMPACT or the NWA and Cody Rhodes is set to run it? And, this is why he didn’t renew an AEW contract.

And they’re quiet on it because obviously everyone predicted he’s going back to WWE :stuck_out_tongue:

I would bet more on this than re-signing with WWE.

You never know, but I highly doubt it regarding the Cody part. All reports indicate he was at the performance center last week, so I really cant see all of it being a ruse.

I think its just Tony buying ROH.

1 Like

Agreed. He wants the tape library especially All In. Then sells the lot and AEW content to streaming

3 Likes

I’m surprised people think it is something regarding buying ROH or the tape library. I dont think buying the library itself is an announcement worthy of being on Dynamite. It would seem like an odd announcement to make on the actual show. Buying the actual company is bigger, but then I dont think they’d be holding another show and Tony Khan doesnt usually appear to make these announcements, so I cant see Tony Schivone announcing something like that.

With Tony Khan bringing up the First Dance, it makes me think its going to be a supershow of some sort, which is something they can have a video package for or have someone other than Khan announce.

2 Likes

I watched Raw for the last 2 weeks. I don’t think we are getting Cody in WWE before Mania, or maybe at all.

March 14th, Raw is in Jacksonville…

I even turned in for the last 20 mins to see if he came out to challenge Edge - turned it off when it wasn’t him.

Sort of weird in that I would’ve expected the fans to chanted for Cody but I didn’t hear that. In fact they seemed very happy having AJ, maybe even happier than Cody.

The opposite would’ve been true I think for AEW. If a big name star had just left, for instance imagine someone like Roman or Seth, and there was an open challenge by CM punk the fans would be chanting for those two guys almost incessantly. Like they did for Daniel Bryan.

However it seems the opposite isn’t quite true. I don’t know if most WWE fans aren’t aware or don’t care about Cody but I was genuinely surprised not to hear his name not being chanted.

1 Like

Friendly Wager. I say No Chance, No Chance in Hell.

I think this speak to the star power of performers in WWE. You’re 100% right, every single AEW fan will know who every single WWE performer is. It does not work the other way around.

I think Cody will be greeted as a star depending on where his debut is. You have him debut in a city that is not really known for being a “smart” city, I think he comes out to a mild reaction. You have him debut in a city where he is sure to be known, I think the perception of everyone watching is 'wow, this guy is popular now". I didnt realize Raw was in Jacksonville in a couple weeks, seems perfect.

I’ve always said him facing Seth makes the most sense. My guess is they tie up the tag stuff with Owens/Rollins first which will be next week, then they split off and thats when Cody makes his debut.

If any of this is true, then Tony has only one person to blame. The booker.

I do think that at this point WWE has basically run-off the vocal minority of people who would attend their live tapings to “hijack” the show. There’s no more Cody chants, CM Punk chants, etc. Its very rare that the babyfaces get booed on mass or the heels cheered. At this point is solely hard-core WWE fans and families attending.

Those that had been going for years to eagerly voice their displeasure are probably just waiting now to buy AEW tickets.

I also think most people are pretty happy with AJ vs Edge. I am. It’s my preferred match and the one they seemed to be hinting at more than Cody vs Edge.

2 Likes

Just curious if you were surprised that this was what the announcement ended up being?

1 Like

Leading up to it and hearing all the rumors, it became more obvious that this was the announcement. Tony Khan ended up announcing it, which was good, because i wouldnt have thought that a week ago.

1 Like