Corey Graves Issues Apology To Mauro Ranallo During WWE's 'After The Bell' Podcast

Originally published at Corey Graves Issues Apology To Mauro Ranallo During WWE's 'After The Bell' Podcast - POST Wrestling | WWE AEW NXT NJPW Podcasts, News, Reviews

POST Wrestling was able to confirm that NXT commentator Mauro Ranallo will not be calling the November 27th episode of NXT on the USA Network. Ranallo deactivated his Twitter account over the weekend after SmackDown commentator Corey Graves put out two tweets about Ranallo that were not well received. Graves noted that “people wouldn’t know it” but there is also a WWE Hall Of Famer (Beth Phoenix) and a former ROH World Champion (Nigel McGuinness) on commentary and he thinks they have a lot to offer. Graves then responded to a Twitter user and agreed with the sentiments that Ranallo uses too many pop culture references.

To open the newest edition of WWE’s ‘After The Bell’ podcast, Corey Graves issued an apology to Mauro Ranallo although Mauro was not mentioned by name. Graves stated that he was just stirring up something fun to maybe talk about on TV or on the podcast but it was never his intention to place stress onto a fellow co-worker.

“On a personal note, I need to address something. This past Saturday at the NXT TakeOver: WarGames event, I sent out a tweet. It was a unpopular opinion as I often do, with the intention of just stirring up a little controversy. Maybe have something fun to talk about on TV or here on the show. It was maybe not the most professional way to go about things, and it was never meant to offend or disrespect or disparage anybody. That was never my intention. If it was taken as such, I apologize, deeply. That was not my intention. I would never intentionally cause anybody any undo stress, especially a co-worker. So, I apologize.”

Mauro Ranallo’s close friend, Frank Shamrock took to social media and tweeted a quote at Graves which reads, “Social media has made too many of you comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the mouth for it”, which was a quote that Corey Graves posted to his own Twitter just several days prior to his tweet about Mauro.

There has been communication between Ranallo and WWE and the decision was made for him not to be at this week’s show and there is no word on if he’ll be on the December 4th edition of NXT or not.

Still didn’t have the guts to say his name. Coward.

That was a horrible attempt at an apology. This told me more about the kind of person he is, rather than what he actually said.

I do wonder if he was given specific lines to say by WWE PR. Sometimes that happens quite a bit with apologies that sound like this.

Not sure this is gonna put the issue to rest. Sadly.

It’s always “If I offended anyone, I’m truly sorry” in these apologies. There is no question of if. People were offended. That’s why you’re apologizing, right? How about acknowledging that you understand the reasons why people were offended. Talk about what you learned from the situation. Talk about how you will conduct yourself in the future. This is what people who were offended want and need to hear, not some retrospective rationale or your supposed intent. Show that you truly own your behavior. Either that or don’t bother apologizing.

3 Likes

I’m fine with the apology. I’m not going to grade the apology. The guy was acting like an ass and apologized for it. Good enough for me.

1 Like

Yeah, I think you may be right. He apologized and that’s the important part. Good point!

1 Like

It’s good to see people getting second, second chances, again.

1 Like

And apologized like one.

He apologized. It’s time to
Move on. This is why people never want to apologize. Stuff like this always happens. I just hope MR is OK. That’s all.

1 Like

In a company that is about what’s best for business… Corey Graves comments were not best for business!

1 Like

The issue is that his apology was that people misunderstood his intent and were hurt. It wasn’t I screwed up and should not have said what I said.

The difference is that he is apologizing for Mauro being upset, not for what he said/tweeted. And that is the big thing.
It’s like apologizing by saying “I’m sorry your nose hurts” when you should be saying "I’m sorry I punched you. It was uncalled for "

3 Likes

Yeah

It just doesn’t count as an apology. We don’t need to keep discussing this but I wouldn’t accept that shit apology if it was me.

Exactly. Exactly. Exactly!

Maybe you guys can tweet Corey about it.

It’s a forum discussion

I do understand your point but you can also skip these threads if you feel this issue is over.

It was a joke, also I never told you to shut your mouth. You are free to continue discussing this all you want. By all means

Didn’t think you were telling me to shut up

And it was a decent joke for the record

1 Like

Everyone is up in arms about this and Jim cornette, as they should be, however no seems to care at all about Jim Ross and his calling the Joshi wrestlers last night oriental.

1 Like

Is the term “oriental” offensive? We never hear it in the UK used in any way so I have no idea if there’s a debate on it in North America or if it’s general consensus that it’s offensive.