I have not posted an update for a while but I’m in the ICU this week in the Toronto area. We have once again started seeing an exponential increase in cases and to be honest we are very close to a breaking point.
This wave has shown nothing but younger and younger cases that are getting sicker. The variant clearly is more likely to cause serious illness especially in the young. Our vaccination rates in this area are still not high enough to prevent this wave. In the last week alone we had patients the age of 22, 38, 35, and 33 all end up not only on life-support but often on ECMO.
Our ICU is rapidly filling up and currently we are over census and don’t have anywhere to place patients. We’re getting more and more sick calls from nurses as a burn out feeling is real.
We are at a very critical point here.If you can, please do your part and stay home. Do what you can to minimize your risk and ride out the next couple of months until the vaccines are more ubiquitous. Short term pain, will lead to a very long term gain if we can keep cases manageable until we can vaccinate most people. As well, do your part and make sure you and your loved ones get the first vaccine that you can.
A couple of issues I wanted to raise were around the vaccines. I know that the AstraZeneca Vaccines had some bad press, but the rates of blood clots are no higher than the general population. Moreover, it is known to cause 100% of people who receive it to avoid hospitalization. The risk of a blood clot from Covid is much higher, and clearly the risk of hospitalization is much higher. Please get the first vaccine you’re eligible for. The time that you wait could be critical.
In the US we are seeing a gradual opening up of things, as we’ve seen in Israel. We see that they are starting to have large scale events etc. Please be advised that while they have vaccinated more people that’s making this relatively safer than other areas, they still haven’t vaccinated enough. If you are attending these events and you have the vaccine then you I think you’re probably OK. However if you don’t have the vaccine I encourage you to think about maybe waiting for a few months until you do have it before you embark on a large scale indoor gatherings.
We’ve waited this long, why not a few more months to make sure it’s a safe as we can.
There is a light at the end of the tunnel, but we aren’t there yet. At least in our local area things are gonna get worse before they get better, and while I know Covid fatigue is a very real phenomenon, try and do what you can to enjoy the outdoors and remain safe while we wait for this to hopefully pass in the next few months and return to normal.
Wishing everyone the best