Covid update: a sobering reminder

You’re speaking a lot of nonsense. Complete and utter nonsense.

However one factor I agreed with is that the lockdowns and the economic destruction is not level with the damage caused by covid.

That was until i spoke to a doctor who explained to me - the measures are not in place to prevent anyone dying. The lockdowns are not here to stop people dying. The virus transmits fast, people become unwell fast, and hospitals get over run. As a result a doctor then needs to decide who does or does not get treatment.

Cancer will kill more people than covid. Heart attacks and strokes will kill more people than covid. No ones arguing that. But if the hospital is over run with covid patients because people wouldn’t wear a mask, take a vaccine, or stay home when told - how can the hospital help you with something else.

Stop being selfish. Get off the conspiracy forums. And spare a thought for the health care workers who have battled idiot comments like yours for a year

5 Likes

I was going to write out a long response but honestly I’m not going to change your mind.

So I’ll leave you with this

We admitted 6 people to ICU yesterday and sent 4 people out over 100km. These 6 people were healthy a week ago and working and range in age from 32-65. They are all facing a mortality of 40-70 percent now.

I started medical school in 2001. I have colleagues who are 70. No one has ever seen anything even remotely like this.

I talked to a women last night whose husband got it at a factory where two workers came in sick. They don’t have paid sick leave. She told me her husband was worried the factory wasn’t safe and talked to his boss who said he would be fired if he didn’t come to work.

Now this poor man will likely die.

We have shut down surgeries and other essential care bc all we have is covid. We can’t care effectively for other diseases anymore.

If you chose to believe this is the same as any other disease then I wish you the best and hope you don’t get it.

For everyone else please stay safe and get the vaccine.

9 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/29/politics/kamala-harris-covid-vaccine/index.html

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/biden-trump-coronavirus-vaccine/2020/09/16/2ffbea6a-f831-11ea-a275-1a2c2d36e1f1_story.html

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/21/politics/bidens-coronavirus-vaccination/index.html

https://twitter.com/abc/status/1318165775354560513?s=21

I don’t think anyone would confuse these sources with conspiracy forums (maybe Twitter, but that’s just the platform the ABC news story was posted in).

The idiot comments made by these politicians on national platforms while using this virus and the vaccine as a tool for political gains caused more grief for health care workers over the year than anything I’ve said. If they were more concerned about creating unity and getting everyone on board with the vaccination before the 2020 election, we wouldn’t need a star studded event to encourage the masses to take the vaccine we were told not to trust months earlier. The demand would be much higher and there wouldn’t be hardly any wasted vaccine

Oh I almost forgot, more “nonsense”

Enough with politicians and politics. We are talking about people who are dying because hospitals are overrun. When that happens doctors have to choose who lives and dies. This affects everyone.

4 Likes

To your point we just had our first meeting about triage. Basically as an ICU doctor this decision is going to come down to me and my colleagues in terms of who we decide gets treatment. In the event that all people are equivocal essentially flip a coin.

If you find that frightening imagine how scary it is being the person flipping the coin

5 Likes

No, you’re not and I appreciate your realizing that. Last weekend I watched my 34 year old neighbor and good friend be taken to the hospital in an ambulance due to pneumonia brought on by Covid. Halfway across the country, a friend of mine’s son-in-law, an young African American, was also admitted to the hospital for Covid. We worried and prayed for their recovery. They’re both back at their homes now, a little weak, but getting better everyday. My younger brother got it 6 months ago, close friends had it over Christmas…I’m well aware it’s real.

My point? No amount of government intrusion or being told I must wear a mask because of concern for my health at a fast food restaurant that serves triple bacon cheeseburgers slathered in mayonnaise on top of white bread, is going to prevent me from getting Covid. It’s probably not going to kill me and I’m not going to live my life in fear that it will. It’s more selfish to expect the vast majority of those that will survive to drastically adjust their lives to accommodate the less than one percent that won’t. I’m not going to inject my 12 year old with an unproven, rushed to market vaccine to “protect” an 88 year old dementia patient that might be wandering around Walmart at the same time.

No vaccine is even approved for under 18 and hundreds of millions got the vaccines now, maybe a billion people. It’s clinically proven. This is after all of the trials to get the vaccines approved.

And you realize that 88 year old at Walmart is someones grandparent? Maybe also someone who sacrificed everything for their family? Maybe a vetteran? Maybe a retired doctor? Try and put yourself in their shoes.

From the above article no one will read, but will happily comment uninformed opinions about:

What vaccine will my teen receive?

At this time, the Pfizer vaccine is the only vaccine authorized for use in people ages 16 years and older to prevent COVID-19. It is administered in two doses three weeks apart, injected into the arm muscle.

And? Do you realize that they’ve already lived their lives. I’m not curtailing my kids life experiences to accommodate those with maybe 2 or 3 years left. He lost over half a school year and a whole summer. That’s all they get from him.

Ok bro. If and when you’ve got advanced heart disease from triple bacon cheeseburgers and the prognosis is you probably won’t make it, then I expect you’ll voluntarily just die. You wouldn’t want to burden healthy people, or the medical system, with your shitty eating decisions.

1 Like

Fuck you. Seriously, fuck you, you selfish asshole.

My year has sucked. My children have lost life experiences. I’ve lost loved ones. I am seriously at a mental breaking point. I’ve lost a lot of things I’ve worked for, for years, due to this.

But, if I can help my community and help those weaker than me, than sacrifices like this are worth it.

Fuck you, you selfish piece of shit.

“I got mine! Who cares bout the weak!”.

5 Likes

You. You are the reason this is going on. Your attitude. Your lack of empathy. You fucking asshole.

It’s called empathy for your fellow human.

And how fucking dare you talk like this around somebody like @Alex_Patel, who is risking his life to help people. People who got sick because of people like you. People who ar dying because of people like you. Who for the last year has been trying to communicate with fucking selfish assholes like you.

3 Likes

Oh, I order the Chicken Cashew salad with raspberry vinaigrette. That triple bacon cheeseburger just happens to be on the menu. I’m not eating that, it’s not good for me. But, I find it hypocritical of the restaurant to force masks for health reasons when they serve food like that.

I’m not sure if this person is being serious or trolling but I am not engaging in a discussion about the value of human life

I think at this point I’m just going to say I’m glad not everyone thinks like this. We have some docs from Sudbury flying in to help us next week because they feel they can do more good here. They will be leaving their families and working in a high acuity covid ICU simply to help. Sometimes it’s not just about what’s best for you but I appreciate that’s your opinion.

@wai0937 this seems to have derailed into dangerous territory and is upsetting to a lot of people. Maybe we should not keep this going

14 Likes