Dana White reacts to UFC exec's comment about every WWE fan becoming a UFC fan & vice versa

Originally published at Dana White reacts to UFC exec's comment about every WWE fan becoming a UFC fan & vice versa

White calls it one of the dumbest statements. 

Following the UFC-WWE transaction being finalized to form TKO Group Holdings, executives from both companies and Endeavor made the media rounds to promote the new venture. 

ESPN published a feature story with comments from WWE CEO Nick Khan and UFC S.V.P. and C.O.O. Lawrence Epstein. In the piece, Epstein stated that they’re aiming to get to a point where every UFC fan is a WWE fan and every WWE fan is a UFC fan. 

Newly promoted UFC CEO, Dana White, reacted to those comments at a press conference for his Contender Series on ESPN+. White called it one of the dumbest statements of all-time. 

Lawrence (Epstein), I love you. One of the dumbest statements of all-time (he made about getting to a point where every UFC fan is a WWE fan & vice versa). Yeah, I don’t know why he said that. I don’t even know what to say to that. No. There’s some crossover. Some people like WWE, some people like UFC, some people like both. I don’t think there’s ever gonna be a day where we turn every UFC fan into a WWE fan or every WWE fan — what’s beautiful about the synergy between these two fan bases is they are very completely opposite. There’s very little crossover and again, maybe he was misquoted. I hope that’s the case because I could not disagree with him more.

John Pollock & Brandon Thurston are going to be sharing their thoughts on the transaction being completed at this link

If the quote in this article is used, please credit the original source with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcription.

At least Dana keeps it real here, Nick Khan or HHH would probably say the same corporate speak. :joy:

1 Like

Really? I’m sure Dana probably has seen the data but I think there is a lot more fan overlap than he seems to indicate. Or at least possible crossover between the two companies.

Maybe not every hardcore WWE fan can be turned into a UFC fan. But with the right promotion they could order a PPV every now and again. In a lot of markets ESPN is airing both WWE & UFC to a similar audience.

Dana playing “good cop” to his partners being the out of touch “bad cops”.

“Don’t worry guys, I totally get what you all want”.

He’s saying what he knows his audience wants to hear.

2 Likes

Yup just ask his wife. He keeps it real

I’d rather have Nick Khan or HHH anyday

What’s with the outrage about “corporate speak” all of a sudden? It’s not Don Owen and the Portland territory, it’s a billion dollar business. And the guys who are actually in charge are acting like it.

1 Like

Also… what were people expecting these guys to be saying after this merger?

Of course they want to assure investors that they’ll be trying to sell things to the biggest audience possible.

1 Like

Dana getting a call this morning to either shape up or ship out. SYNERGY, DANA. THAT’S THE GAME.

2 Likes

Dear @RocketKing,

Don Owen catching strays in a thread about UFC executive thoughts on fan overlap/integration with WWE was not on my Post Wrestling bingo card this morning. Or any day ever.

Bravo, sir. Incredible. Keep up the stellar work. :laughing: :laughing: :blush: LOL.

@Alex_Patel: I think you’d agree Nick Khan is perfect at what he does and would likely be that for any company in any industry, given time to build a depth of knowledge in that industry. While not comparable, the same can’t be said for Paul, and most certainly not for Dana. We agree on the “corporate agent” ranking here. LOL.

I’d argue Khan’s been WWE’s best talent acquisition in some time.

100%. Everyone’s saying exactly what they should be saying.

4 Likes