Darby Allin initially thought he was going to main event AEW All Out 2021 with CM Punk

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2023/05/26/darby-allin-initially-thought-he-was-going-to-main-event-aew-all-out-2021-with-cm-punk/

In addition to looking back at All Out 2021, Allin has film projects in the works that he discussed. 

The main event of AEW Double or Nothing on May 28th is going to see MJF defending his AEW World Championship in a four-way against Darby Allin, Jungle Boy and Sammy Guevara. 

On the lead up to the pay-per-view, Darby Allin joined the Drinks With Johnny podcast and reflected on having CM Punk’s first match in AEW

Initially, Allin thought he was going to headline the show with Punk but figured there had to be a catch to the situation and those catches were revealed to be Bryan Danielson and Adam Cole who debuted at the event. 

You’re correct (Allin re-confirmed to the podcast host that he was not the main event of All Out 2021). I think it’s because (Bryan) Danielson and Adam Cole debuted that night, because I was for sure we were gonna be main eventing and then I was like, there’s gotta be a catch here (Allin smiled). Lo and behold, there it was.

He provided an update on the full-length film that he has the script written for. He stated that he’s thinking about filming it in September. Darby joked that his four months of film school has to pay off one way or another. 

I finished writing the script (for my feature-length film). I’m just trying to find a good chunk of time to actually film it and I was thinking of doing it in September once all the big shows get out and stuff like that. You know, over the summer and everything like that. Start filming it there but yeah, I’ve written the script and everything like that and I just wanna really, really make it count because this is my first full-length film I’ll be directing and I really want it to be special and entering festivals and do it the right way. Like put the real work into it and stuff like that and not just make a sh*tty cell phone video. I want an actual production company where I’m gonna have to, you know, so, I’m excited about that. That’s like a big, big thing I wanna do and that’s another extension of just — I gotta have that four months of film school pay off one way or another.

In addition to that, Allin is going to be featured in a Thrasher x Volcom film. It was shot in Texas and he shared that it’s being shopped around to networks. 

Darby brought his dad with him to replace a friend in the film and said the crew was very impressed with his father’s acting skills. 

You know, I’m not too sure to be honest what it’s promoting (film he’s a part of). They just sent me a script and I said sure, and then yeah, I just love being involved with anything skateboarding and sh*t like that so, you know, I know they’re trying to shop it around to a few networks and stuff like that so, you know, whatever dude… It was a few days (of filming). It was fun. I did it in Texas and like I said, I flew my dad out there without them knowing. They didn’t even know. They picked us up and just like we did to you (podcast host), I was like, ‘Hey yo, my friend couldn’t make it so, called an old friend from Jersey’ and my dad, he had the sunglasses on from Ross and the gold chain necklace and he was in full character at one in the morning. He’s like, ‘Hello. My name’s Nikki Deuce’ and then the guy’s like, ‘Who the f*ck is this guy that Darby brought?’ 

He did a good job. They were actually like, ‘Damn. You guys should get your acting, whatever. Your actor’s (card)… And do more of this’ and I was like, ‘You know, perhaps.’ They were really pleased with my dad’s performance.

Allin is planning to climb Mount Everest in 2024 and said he is creating his will in June in case he does not survive it. 

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit Drinks With Johnny with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.