Davey Boy Smith Jr. departs MLW

Originally published at Davey Boy Smith Jr. departs MLW

MLW kicked off the opening round of the 2020 Opera Cup on the 12/2 episode of their FUSION show. One of the tournament matches saw Low Ki defeat Davey Boy Smith Jr. On the first episode of MLW’s ‘Restart’, Smith Jr. was defeated by Jacob Fatu in a MLW World Heavyweight Title match.

Following the 12/2 episode of FUSION, highlights from a media call with MLW CEO Court Bauer were uploaded to MLW’s website. One of the first questions asked of Bauer was about Davey Boy’s status with MLW and he said that Smith has finished up with MLW. He thanked Davey for what he has done for the organization over the past two years and wished him well on his next move.

“Davey Boy’s exit in the opening round of the Opera Cup marks the end of this chapter for DBS in MLW. I have immense gratitude for (Davey) and his contributions inside the MLW ring over the past 2 ½ years. The MLW system was a great fit for him. Winning the 2019 Opera Cup as well as his run as a World Tag Team Champion. A certified beast. Davey Boy Smith Jr. is the real deal and I wish him luck with whatever comes next.”

Throughout his time in MLW, Smith Jr. won the 2019 Opera Cup and he was an MLW World Tag Team Champion with Brian Pillman Jr. and Teddy Hart.

Over the past several months, Smith Jr. has done a number of interviews and entertained the idea of a move to WWE and is on the record saying that it’s a place he’s open to making the move to. Smith Jr., along with his sister Georgia Smith were supposed to be present at the 2020 WWE Hall Of Fame ceremony in Tampa where their father “British Bulldog” Davey Boy Smith was scheduled to be inducted into the Hall.

Smith Jr. was also slotted to compete in All Japan’s Champion Carnival tournament prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.

1 Like

Assuming he’s heading to WWE and this isn’t a deal to prop up NXT UK, I think it would be a pretty big waste of a return if he doesn’t go straight to the WWE roster. He should be taken as seriously as McIntyre’s return to the main roster was and it’s a great opportunity for WWE to start someone returning off at a strong, high level who definitely fits the bill, which they ultimately didn’t do well with John Morrison.

Hope he gets a chance. Great talent and seems to tick off all the boxes Vince would like

I havent watched him in MLW, has he gotten better on the mic? If not, I feel like that will be held against him on the main roster.