Did Forbidden Door cost Kingston a Title Run?

With CM Punk going down AEW needed to crown an interim champion. But with Forbidden Door on the horizon they needed a big name to headline for the strap. Enter Moxley.
If there was no PPV until Labor Day, AEW could have put the belt on Jericho and had Eddie chase for a few months until ultimately challenging at Battle of the Belts 3 or maybe a special edition of Dynamite. I think Eddie would make a great World Champ and is hotter now than he’s ever been.
I am just a big fan of Kingston, so maybe I’m wearing rose colored glasses. Either way I’m sure Tony will be happy once the Forbidden Door PPV is finally in the rear view.

I would say you should dream about that scenerio, if you ever hope for it to happen. Eddie Kingston is not World Championship material for a major television promotion. Maybe he can hold the title for your local flea market indie, but it will never happen in AEW.

1 Like

Could Eddie be TNT champion? Absolutely, but AEW World Champion? I doubt it. Which is a shame because he is without a doubt a main event worker and talker. Should he be given the chance? I think so, I just doubt it will happen

1 Like

I can definitely see Eddie getting a short reign that is cut off by an emerging heel. The guy is just so over with the live audience that it would be a great feel good moment. Long term champ - I would like to see it but I doubt it. A short run - absolutely

1 Like

You’ve got to admit it would be fun. But you’re probably right….:sob::sob::sob:

I dont think it would be that fun. Sure, he can cut a good promo and hes a decent wrestler, but he just isnt at that level. So many people think that just because a guy is over, he should be a world champion.

Take a look at Kofi Kingston. The fans thought they were smart and decided to get behind the guy a little more than they had been the previous 11 years. He didnt cut it when he was champ. WWE has a hard enough time making anyone anymore, but he also just isnt main event level.

Some people just belong chasing and there is nothing wrong with that.

2 Likes

Agreed. I love Eddy, he’s a great promo but ultimately I don’t know if this is the guy you want being your world champion. I could see it may be for a short run where he wins in and gives it up just to shake things up, but ultimately you want the title on your big names or someone you’re really looking to elevate like punk, MJF, Moxley, etc.

1 Like

It would just be a “feel-good story”. Ultimately I don’t think Eddie needs a belt. He seems to be doing all right without one so far.

2 Likes

Based on AEW’s past booking when looking for new contenders if Forbidden Door wasn’t happening and they needed an Interim title TK would have 100% done a tournament.

But then the tournament would have inexplicably left off high ranking contenders that are in separate storylines like Jericho, Kingston, Mox, etc. Which would have led to some bitching online about the “rankings” and maybe even some snide comments about in on Dynamite. But really was obviously done because they had other plans for the BPC and JAS.

Instead the tournament probably would have revolved around Hangman Page and Adam Cole. Maybe Miro or Wardlow making strong runs as well. But likely might have ended with either Page winning setting up a rematch with Punk. Or Cole winning to set up further Elite drama. Although if fantasy booking follows reality and Cole gets injured in the tournament then Page would likely be guaranteed to win.

Eddie Kingston is like this generations Mick Foley. In terms of his connection with the audience, storytelling, and “everyman” demeanor. And like Mick, doesn’t need a long title run. A brief, “thank you for all the work” run with the belt would be great. But, nothing longer than a few weeks.
And, i did say “Like this generations Mick Foley”, not saying that he is the second coming of Mankind. Eddie is his own beast. And, thankfully, doesnt need to get thrown off of Hell in a Cell

3 Likes

Yeah. He’s also a bit like Sandman - just looking for a fight and does whatever he wants. A short run would be a decent idea for him.

He’s also a unique face in that he has beef with other faces and likes certain heels etc. like he’s all about his own loyalties and screw the heel and face system

2 Likes

I see Kingston as the Tommy Dreamer of AEW.
He doesn’t need a championship, but maybe one day will get that short little reign.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was going to say. Both guys are cult favourites, great on the mic, incredible sellers and always over. He definitely deserves a short run that creates more heat for a heel

2 Likes