DOUBLE SHOT: Jon Moxley on Talk is Jericho, Starrcast Panels, Being the Elite

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/05/30/double-shot-jon-moxley-on-talk-is-jericho-starrcast-panels-being-the-elite/

This show is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons – visit Patreon.com/POSTwrestling to download OR check your podcast app if you have subscribed to the RSS feed provided to all members.

John Pollock and Wai Ting present the DOUBLE SHOT:

• A review of Jon Moxley on Talk is Jericho outlining his frustrations with WWE, his decision to leave the company, his heel run after The Shield breakup, joining AEW, and a timeline of events. Plus, a lengthy discussion on the creative environment at WWE, the problem of Vince McMahon and the arguments against changes happening anytime soon.
  • Reviews of several Starrcast panels, including

An Evening with Cody & The Young Bucks

Sharpshooter: Bret Hart in His Own Words w/ Tom Magee

ARN

Crazy Like a Fox: Remembering Brian Pillman

Inside the Ropes: Dustin Rhodes
  • Being the Elite Ep. 154 “Backstage at Double or Nothing” featuring highlights from Saturday’s show in Las Vegas, the debut of Jon Moxley, The Elite at Starrcast-related events, Mike Tyson meets Masa, a cameo by Flip Gordon & more.

The Double Shot is available for all POST Wrestling Café patrons.

Subscribe:
iTunes & iOS | Android | Spotify | Google Play | Stitcher | TuneIn | Mac & PC | RSS

Discuss:
https://forum.postwrestling.com

Support – The POST Wrestling Café:
http://www.patreon.com/POSTwrestling

Merchandise:
https://store.postwrestling.com

Follow:
Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | YouTube

1 Like

Love the in-depth look at Moxley’s interview, but given the fact that he’s a)trying to sell a new company and b)trying to paint himself in the most favorable and sympathetic of lights, I’m curious about your decision to present what he said as if it was fact. Perhaps this is just a nerdy history teacher perspective, but it seems worth considering possible agendas when examining any kind of primary source, and the ways in which those agendas might influence that source’s content. For example, not looking at the new contract WWE offered fits perfectly into the narrative Moxley is presenting, and maybe it’s true. But it also might not be – after all, all we have is his word that it happened. None of this is a big deal, but it just struck me when listening to that segment.

1 Like

Given what we’ve heard over the years and how many people say it when they leave the company, it’s hard to not take what Moxley says as fact when it comes to much of the creative decision making regarding him. Which parts would you even question?

I’m not saying the way he portrays WWE or what he experienced isn’t persuasive, or that it doesn’t echo what others and/or rumors have reported. My only point is that this podcast is coming out right after he reintroduces himself to the wrestling world and that it gives him complete control over a narrative he has every reason to want to craft. In this situation, it seems wise to just remember he’s our only source, that’s all. Not accusing him of lying, just responding to a very controlled situation.

The problem would be a large portion of the examples he cited were actions that went ahead and took place on television - the “inoculation”, the Roman Reigns line about his cancer, his return set up, the Nia Jax segment, the loss to EC3 etc.

His reaction to these scenarios is his perspective and there were not a lot of facts to dispute or corroborate beyond the $500 pay off and the mystery cancer line.

Regarding the line about not looking at his contract, sure you can question it and most would find it hard to believe, but it would be a much bigger story if he announced he turned down “X” amount of a downside to stay. Consider the figure Rhyno threw out he was offered and then imagine what the offer was for Ambrose to stay?

And for the reporting sake, confirming whether or not he looked at the contract could only be disputed if someone actively saw him look over the contract or his wife contradicted that. No one monitored this guy around the clock after he received the offer, so you either take his word or don’t, it doesn’t alter the larger picture the podcast painted of his frustrations and wanting out.

6 Likes

To me not looking at the contract seems like a reasonable choice. If you knew you did not want to go back for artistic or self care reasons, but feared there might be a number they would offer that you might accept why look? I mean if he looks and they offer him $100 million, that would be hard to turn down, but even with the money he might still be unhappy. So why not avoid the temptation.

I like the idea of getting another viewpoint to avoid bias but… this is wwe. No one is allowed to go on podcasts and speak completely openly. Everything is tightly controlled. And it goes back up to Vince. The fact that the company wont comment, controls everyone and is nonsensical (numerous examples of this) add a lot of credibility to Moxley’s comments.

The “other” viewpoint would only further my belief on Moxley. Imagine a rebuttal by Vince where he tries to defend the booking :man_facepalming:

1 Like

In a Vince voice:

This Jon Moxley, he’s wrong. I’ve been doing this since before he was born. I know what my audience wants. I beat Ted Turner and created Wrestlemania! He needs to loosen up and take a joke! Have fun with the skits. Stop trying to get himself over. That’s for me to decide because I know what fans want and I’ve got a great record of making stars and he didn’t have what it takes but we will continue to make superstars.
What, he said we were insensitive about Cancer. We have a partnership with Susan G. and Conor’s Cure.
What, he said I’m 74 years old? I benchpressed 230lb this morning. I’m as sharp as ever. I’m so smart I beat Ted Turner.

The talent loves working here. We travel the globe and they get to experience amazing things. People should have pride in working for the WWE.

Dean is just bitter because he isn’t Roman and Seth. Now those are guys who get it. Roman is a real life hero and Seth is one of our most beloved superstars. Dean just didn’t connect because he didn’t have the passion.

-End imitation