Era Clashes That Blow Your Mind

While in quarantine, I went down a Youtube rabbit hole of old WWF/WWE dark matches and found one from early 2002 that was Brock Lesnar vs. Mr. Perfect. This was such a clash of two different eras that it blew my mind to see those two in the ring together. Brock was at the very beginning of his career, and Curt was sadly near the end of his life. Does anyone have any other examples or videos of odd combinations of guys from two completely different eras fighting against each other?

Here’s a link to the Brock Lesnar/Mr Perfect match if anyone is curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3E7n_fBnnI

2 Likes

Great find. Even in 2002, if you want make a younger guy look good, you put him in the ring with Mr. Perfect.

And I thought the only match they had was on an airplane, and almost killing the whole roster in the process!

Not a full match, but soon-to-be main event Shawn Michaels bumps like a boss for soon-to-be dead Dick Murdoch during the 1995 Royal Rumble.

2 Likes

2002 is a great year for this as it was the transition out of the Attitude era and the WCW contracts preventing some bigger names from appearing sooner expired.
I took a break from wrestling around this time so have had the same reaction upon seeing Mr. Perfect and DDP.

In WCW’s dying days AJ Styles (and Air Paris) faced Alex Wright & Disco Inferno.

1 Like

Don’t think its on YouTube anymore but I recall a young Bryan Danielson vs Kamala match

2 Likes

Scott Hall vs Hiroshi Tanahashi in NJPW, September 2001:

1 Like

Not a match, but I’m a big fan of Undertaker chokeslamming Muhammad Hassan’s “personal attorney” Thomas Whitney (Tommaso Ciampa);

2 Likes

If you were to give me 10 guesses on which current wrestler that attorney was, I wouldn’t have guessed Ciampa.