Originally published at Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch for AEW World Title at Revolution
At AEW’s Winter Is Coming special in December, Kenny Omega defeated Jon Moxley to become AEW World Champion. Omega’s reign is still ongoing and his next title defense is scheduled for the Revolution pay-per-view on March 7th. Following Moxley picking up a win for his team in the six-man main event on 2/17, Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson ambushed him and Omega followed suit.
Omega said Moxley does have a rematch clause and the match is taking place at Revolution but in a Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch.
EXPLODING BARBED WIRE DEATHMATCH! pic.twitter.com/V3rMsCEPMs
— All Elite Wrestling (@AEW) February 18, 2021
Moxley and Omega competed in a Unsanctioned Lights Out match at the 2019 Full Gear pay-per-view. It was during that match that the two men fell into a barbed wire bed. Full Gear 2019 took place in Baltimore, Maryland and the Maryland State Athletic Commission confirmed that AEW was fined $10,000 because of the match.
This upcoming bout is the rubber match in the feud between Moxley and Omega as they are 1-1 in singles competition against each other. Here’s the updated AEW Revolution card:
- AEW World Tag Team Championship: The Young Bucks (c) vs. MJF & Chris Jericho (w/ Wardlow)
- Street Fight: Brian Cage & Ricky Starks (w/ Taz) vs. Sting & Darby Allin
- AEW Women’s World Championship Eliminator Tournament Final: Hikaru Shida (c) vs. TBD
- Matt Hardy vs. Hangman Adam Page
- Face Of The Revolution Ladder Match — Winner Gets Shot At TNT Championship: Cody Rhodes vs. Scorpio Sky vs. Penta El Zero M vs. TBA vs. TBA vs. TBA
- AEW World Championship — Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch: Kenny Omega (c) (w/ Don Callis) vs. Jon Moxley