Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch for AEW World Title official for Revolution

Originally published at Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch for AEW World Title at Revolution

At AEW’s Winter Is Coming special in December, Kenny Omega defeated Jon Moxley to become AEW World Champion. Omega’s reign is still ongoing and his next title defense is scheduled for the Revolution pay-per-view on March 7th. Following Moxley picking up a win for his team in the six-man main event on 2/17, Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson ambushed him and Omega followed suit.

Omega said Moxley does have a rematch clause and the match is taking place at Revolution but in a Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch.

EXPLODING BARBED WIRE DEATHMATCH! pic.twitter.com/V3rMsCEPMs

— All Elite Wrestling (@AEW) February 18, 2021

Moxley and Omega competed in a Unsanctioned Lights Out match at the 2019 Full Gear pay-per-view. It was during that match that the two men fell into a barbed wire bed. Full Gear 2019 took place in Baltimore, Maryland and the Maryland State Athletic Commission confirmed that AEW was fined $10,000 because of the match.

This upcoming bout is the rubber match in the feud between Moxley and Omega as they are 1-1 in singles competition against each other. Here’s the updated AEW Revolution card:

• AEW World Tag Team Championship: The Young Bucks (c) vs. MJF & Chris Jericho (w/ Wardlow)
  • Street Fight: Brian Cage & Ricky Starks (w/ Taz) vs. Sting & Darby Allin
  • AEW Women’s World Championship Eliminator Tournament Final: Hikaru Shida (c) vs. TBD
  • Matt Hardy vs. Hangman Adam Page
  • Face Of The Revolution Ladder Match — Winner Gets Shot At TNT Championship: Cody Rhodes vs. Scorpio Sky vs. Penta El Zero M vs. TBA vs. TBA vs. TBA
  • AEW World Championship — Exploding Barbed Wire Deathmatch: Kenny Omega (c) (w/ Don Callis) vs. Jon Moxley

Wow! Not sure what to think about this…

2 Likes

I know what to think. Mudshow garbage wrestling. CZW style.

1 Like

Yeah, because CZW is known for their great history of Explosion matches. They attempted them, and couldn’t afford to do them properly.

Get out of here… FMW was doing these in front of 40000+ people in stadiums over 20 years ago. Hell, NEW JAPAN hosted one on front of nearly 50K, in 1999. Real mudshow, right?

I think as the third match in their trilogy, this extremely unique stipulation is a perfect blow-off (pardon the pun). They started with an unsanctioned brawl, then a straight up singles match. I think this is a cool attraction that has never been seen on such a large scale, as their capper of a year long rivalry.

We’ve seen AEW’s take on a cage match, ladder match, and street fight. For me, this is an interesting concept match, never done on this scale in North America, that could be a unique gimmick to be used once in a blue moon.

2 Likes

FMW, NJPW, 4 or 4 million fans. I couldn’t give a rat’s ass. It’s still garbage wrestling.

Then don’t watch…

Oh wait, you don’t. Yet here you are complaining, again.

2 Likes

You are not very bright, are you? I responded to the original poster’s statement/question and then your post. I’m not complaining about anything. I’m stating an opinion.

“Oh, here’s a topic on a message board I visit regularly, concerning a subject I have no interest in, insight into, positive feelings about, or even pay attention to… I must post to share my feelings!!”

Yet I’m the one who’s not bright?

You’re sharing a negative uninformed opinion about something you don’t pay attention to. What is the point?

You are admitting to just being a troll?

Not a big fan of this, but I guess assuming Kenny is retaining it isn’t the worst thing ever. To me it comes across as Moxley not being good enough to beat Kenny in a standard wrestling match so he needs the hardcore stuff. I just don’t really see how this comes across great.

I’m wondering where you are getting any of that from. Kenny cheated to win the title and he’s the one that chose the match, because he couldn’t beat Moxley straight up.

1 Like

The goal is to get enough people intrigued to buy the show and I think a stip like that will do the job.

I’m looking forward to it because it’s a logical next step in their story.

1 Like

I didn’t like that Kenny decided the stipulation,it should have been Mox telling Omega he was going to fuck him up royally in a deathmatch by

1 Like

I’m aware, but given that the death match is more up Moxley’s alley that is how it feels to me. Feels either like interference will cost Moxley the title, he will win and it will get blamed on “not being a real match.” If Kenny wins clean it will be ok I guess but I doubt that will happen.

Personally I’m not a fan of any of these lights out barbed wire bullshit matches. If these guys want to impress me with how tough and hardcore they are, try taking some 2x4 shots to the head or something. Not that I recommend that either, but this exploding barbed wire crap is just nonsense to me. Maybe I’m in the minority, but that’s the sort of things that makes me NOT want to watch your show, especially when it’s going to be your main event with your world champion.

Any of you folks ever dealt with barbed wire? That shit will shred your skin. The idea of these guys laying in beds of barbed wire or getting hit in the head with barbed wire baseball bats and walking away with a couple of little Knicks on their back has about as much basis in reality as the Fiend teleporting around the arena and mind-controlling Alexa Bliss. If you think one of these things sounds like hokey BS but not the other, I don’t think you are fairly evaluating the stories being told.

2 Likes

They both sound equally fun. I’d actually like to see The Fiend teleport onto the pirate ship at Wrestlemania.

Yup it works both ways. If you enjoy the Fiend/Alexa stuff on RAW then it totally makes sense to me why the exploding barbed wire match is also appealing. And that’s fine too.

2 Likes

Looking forward to this.

I hope so. I know I’m in the minority, but I hated Moxley’s run as champion, I’m just not into his boring plundering style being in the main event. Kenny has been on fire since winning the title and the worst thing AEW could do is put it back on Moxley.

I’ll say this, I’m definitely interested, but generally speaking I don’t care for these types of matches as they typically either go way to far and are just gross. Or they pretend to go far, and it just comes off as lame. Either way, Ill give it a shot, maybe they surprise me.

You’re 100% right, but the problem for me is that I hate the Fiend/Alexa stuff on RAW, so Ill probably hate this as well lol.