Leave your feedback below and tune into Rewind-A-Dynamite right after the show.

Dynamite was an okay show tonight. The Danielson vs. Rush match was really violent. Having the Acclaimed chase the Gunns seems like an impulsive move. We’re back to a single women’s segment and poor storytelling with unexplained or contextualized character actions.

Lately, AEW booking doesn’t seem like it’s grounded in the intent of consistent storytelling. It feels like Dynamite is booked for the pay-per-view cycles with some paint-by-numbers storytelling leading in. Don’t get me wrong. I like MJF’s performances, but more Heel making a Babyface endure trials feels a little uninspired at this point. I am happy to get matches like Danielson vs. Rush and, previously, Thatcher. I also realize that we were likely spoiled with one-time runs like Hangman vs. the Elite and CM Punk vs. MJF. But I am finding something missing since Full Gear, and AEW doesn’t really have a true North right now.

Also, Gi Gi Dolan’s head rocking off that door looked so harsh.

And for the Hogan of it all :slight_smile:

A portrait of the artist himself.

Like last week, this was an action-focused Dynamite, keeping the show’s in-ring standard aloft in the new year. It was nice to see AR Fox get a deservedly high profile spot, and while I’ve made a number of comments in the past about Rush’s AEW run not having many memorable matches, I’m more than happy to eat my words tonight. It’ll be great with a few year’s distance to look back at the intensity and range of the matches Danielson’s had on his way to his challenge of MJF.

On another note, the opening match was great, but I feel like AEW needs to capitalize on the connection Takeshita has organically developed with the audience in some manner other than well-received losses like tonight’s. Whether that takes the form of the Don Callis involvement that’s been teased, defeating Cassidy for the Atlantic belt and defending it on both sides of the ocean, or some other means, the fulfillment of Takeshita’s star potential can’t be accomplished through good will alone. Am I worrying too much, or would you guys like to see some tangible elevation of him in the short term?

Fantastic dynamite minus one thing. Loved seeing Takeshita just get more and more over. Rush has been my stand out signing from the past year. Hearing the stories of his ROH run, made me a bit hesitant but he’s been knocking it our of the park. He’s everything I was hoping Andrade would of been. Trios match just stealing match of the night. But that ending, I feel like they were expecting Gunn Club to have massive heat but the crowd didn’t care. They haven’t built Gunn Club to the level of heels where boos were going to happen when they won. Do you think this title change signal that FTR have re-signed, since I think it would be pointless just to have the acclaimed to win it back.

Saeed from Vacouver.

A very fun episode of dynamite, Match of the night for me was MJF vs Takeshita. Really wish we can see MJF wrestle more… I somehow forget how good he is until I see him wrestle again.

Just when I think they cant increase my hype for the iron man match, they some how bring it up every week.

A hot crowd left silent… that’s so rare for AEW to do.

Jordan from the Bronx

I can’t remember a time where Dynamite went off the air with a silent crowd, save for The Dark Order beating down the Elite. Serious balls to put the tag titles on The Gunns without a Billy Gunn heel turn. I suppose it’s a way to get to FTR when they return.

The wrestling on the show was great. Hopefully The Bunny is okay. The MJF promo went a direction I was not ready for. Takeshita continues to be fantastic, and I love how much TV time Rush is getting. The Saraya and the JAS stuff hasn’t clicked with me yet.

Sylvia’s is good, but the better Mac and Cheese place in Harlem is Amy Ruth’s!

Steve Grows Weed

This was a crazy show!! The Elite match was incredible. The main event got awkward at the end. We’ll see where it goes.
Brian Quinn from Impractical Jokers also co hosts a podcast with Kevin Smiths friends called Tell Em Steve Dave.
He mentioned on that show awhile ago that he was potentially going to be training for a wrestling match and hasn’t spoken about it since.
So I’m expecting that this angle on their premiere will lead to a match between him and Jericho in some form.
For a smaller building, it felt like a big show.
Cheers

From a reporting stand point; the last couple of weeks have been MUCH easier to write about as it feels like the pacing was much better and give more room to breathe. Something happened tonight that made that not click. One second The Elite is celebrating, then they had to rush to a Hook video promo for some reason. This show was so busy, Excalibur didn’t even announce any matches for Dynamite. The Saraya/Toni Storm just isn’t working for me. Atleast they didnt put J’s to their foreheads to build to a future tag team match against The Bellas.

With GCW announcing Nick Cage vs. Mike Bailey next week, how about putting the title on Speedball and have him defend it all Mania weekend. He has to fight Ospreay, Ibushi & El Hijo del Vikingo within 24 hours.

1 Like

A passable show despite some bright spots with Takeshita/Friedman, the Trios title match and Rush/Danielson. The tag title match was overbooked to the max. Billy Gunn’s presence signalled a swerve…except there was none. The ending was a dud. This Saraya/Toni heel act is falling flat.
Is it me or does the Starks/Jericho feud appear to hit a brick wall?

Cody From Maine

As per usual, a really strong Dynamite between the ropes that was boosted by a hot crowd in a new market. Still not sold on the “originals” storyline or the decision to extend the Jericho-Starks feud, but those are the only two aspects of the show that aren’t clicking for me.

Might be a less popular take, but I’m perfectly fine with the Gunns winning the tag titles. I get that they’re not the most complete product within the division, but I’m intrigued to see where they go.

1 Like