Being in a match with Michael Nakazawa.

Tessa. And for Tessa to beat the shit out of Shida!

Such a terrible Idea. Tessa buries their whole division…yay.

I had to look up who Matt Cardona was. Can’t believe they have signed that jobber.

It is funny with Cornette saying tacks have no place because they don’t lead to a pi fall. Does the sharpshooter have no place either. I’m pretty sure tacks could lead to a submission.

Issues of racism with Japanese wrestlers.

Specifically Riho and Hikaru Shida, the Japanese school girls that Kenny Omega supposed has a fetish for, according to him. For awhile, I justified at least Riho because of her size, but Hikaru Shida is a 31 year old woman. The last episode of the Jim Cornette Experience I listened to was the episode talking about how they shouldn’t push the Japanese women over the American women (and funnily enough, he was referring to Bea Pristley as an American). I listened to old episodes of Grillin’ Jr and he was talking about the Great Muta and how he really wanted to push him as a babyface but was shut down as people wouldn’t buy a top Japanese babyface.

That comment was back in October or November I believe. It was also very Vince Russo-esque comment which is also surprising. I don’t think Cornette is a racist as in, I hate group x and they shouldn’t have rights, but more subtle racism. Not all racists are KKK members spouting racial slurs.

His dislike of Riho has nothing to do with her nationality. And I don’t recall him specifically criticising Shida. His issue is pushing females who can’t cut a promo in English (although he hasn’t really commented on Shida the last two weeks because he skips their segments).

It’s not funny. His point is it is garbage CZW style wrestling.

In regards to skipping the segments, at least we have the justification to call him sexist. I never liked that either when I listened to his show either. I appreciate Cornette taking guys to task for bad wrestling or bad form, or whatever. If he watched a woman’s match and gut and quartered them as he would say, that’s a lot more respectable than just ignoring the match. He did the same apparently with Io and Sasha Banks a few weeks ago as well. This is why I don’t consider him to be a good wrestling mind anymore. Another fun thing is realizing how much better of a booker Gedo is, because Cornette wouldn’t have used Kenny Omega due to his goofy facial expressions, weird promos and theatrics, but Gedo helped make him a mega star and booked Omega better than Tony Khan or Omega himself could. Accentuate the positives, hide the negatives.

But yes, he brought up her nationality with the Japanese school girl thing and again, wanting to push the American women over the Japanese women. And with promos, again, this issue came up in 1990 when Muta was over, JR wanted to push him (Cornette did too maybe, but I’m not sure) but you can’t have an over Japanese babyface. Sometimes you can think outside the box when pushing talent.

Corny is racist and sexist the same way JR and Jerry Lawler are. They’re all old white guys from the south who grew up in the 60’s and the racism is literally baked into their genes at this point. I’m not excusing it, but this is who these people are to some extent.

I know Cornette made some comments about there being “too many” Female Japanese wrestlers and he can’t tell them apart. Obviously this is a Jim problem and not an industry problem. Honestly he says a lot of shit that makes me cringe but I give his co-host credit for continuously confronting Jim about this issue and forcing him to address it. I hope eventually he changes his mind on these things.

However, one thing I can definitely say in his defence is that he’s a very vocal supporter of left wing politics and many initiatives that aim to help people of colour. He loves to shit all over Trump, Republicans, and right wing politics in general. So I’ll pose a hypothetical:

Who’s more racist?

A) the guy who makes off-colour remarks from time to time and puts his foot in his mouth with some borderline racist commentary, but openly supports initiatives to help people of colour and encourages the community at large to do the same, or

B) the guy who never says a bad word about anyone, but at the end of the day quietly votes republican and supports right wing politics. He’d rather have his tax dollars stay in his own pockets than help poor black kids go to college, and frankly he would prefer the Mexicans stay in Mexico. He’s just smart enough to never admit it on the record.

I know it doesn’t have to be one way or another I’m just saying. People’s actions should count as much as their words and from what I can see Corny’s actions don’t expose him as a real racist, though his words sometimes do.

It is only funny if he says it is never going to end with a pin fall so it doesn’t belong. I have no problem with him thinking it shouldn’t be there because he doesn’t like it, or it ruins the”sport” feel. But if his reasoning is it won’t knock a guy out and pin him then he is an idiot.

I think its quite dangerous and divisive to be this concrete with your thinking of politics.

Speaking for myself, I live in Canada and I am a liberal. With that said here in Canada we have 3 main political parties, Conservatives, Liberal, and NDP. Conservative is closest to Republican (though they are farther left then Rep), Liberals is similar to Democrats, NDP is closest to very progressive Democrats.

With that said, I have come across many conservatives who don’t have a racist bone in their bodies, and I have come across NDP’s who have been incredibly racist that I want nothing to do with.
Now I would agree that there are probably a larger amount of right leaning individuals who are racist then left, but I don’t think its fair to say (Republican = Racist) while (Democrat = Not Racist). I think the majority of the problems we have in this world are because people base concrete opinions of others based on Race, Gender, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, Religion, Political leanings, Nationality etc. We are all people, and every one of these identities has good people and bad people.

Jesus. You need to look at his intent rather than the verbiage he uses. Him saying there are too many female Japanese wrestlers in AEW was and is not racist. He was making a general observation/giving his opinion using hyperbolic language to be more entertainIng that their size made them not credible wrestlers and that a US audience would have little interest in unknown Japanese women wrestlers who can’t cut promos. And he wasn’t and isn’t wrong.

Yes I’m also Canadian and am well aware of the differences between the two political systems. Cornette however is an American, so I am referencing their political system when I speak of “conservatives.” I doubt he really cares about or understands the nuances of the Canadian system.

When Cornette bashes conservatives or right wing politics, he’s bashing the American right, not the Canadian right. And this is just my opinion, but anyone who can openly support the Trump regime at this point may as well just accept that they are openly supporting an oppressive, racist regime. Spare me your “not all conservatives” trope.

The crimes perpetrated along the southern border by ICE are well-documented. The federal troops that have been unleashed on protestors (who are protesting police brutality and racism specifically aimed at minorities) across the USA are well-documented. Trump’s “grab her by the pussy” comments and support of Supreme Court judges who espouse similar rhetoric are well-documented.

There is no excuse anymore. Either you support the racist, sexist, homophobic Piece of Human Garbage In Chief, or you do not. And I give Cornette credit for openly opposing him.

1 Like

I dunno man you’re welcome to your opinion, but when he refuses to watch Sasha vs Io Shirai, because there’s “just too damn many of em” (referring time Japanese female wrestlers), it just doesn’t sit well with me. Jim is very smart and can come up with a million clever witticisms seemingly at will. But that particular line really wasn’t very funny and toes the line of racism and/or sexism in my book. I know I’m not the only one who feels this way because they’ve had to address this every week since then as people keep calling him out on this.

2 Likes

Dont disagree with the majority of what you said, however what I said is not a trope its reality. Not all conservatives are bad, not all democrats are good. You are entitled to your options, but I just believe its problematic to label any type of people as blank and when you do so it creates divide which then makes things worse. The only way to push democratic policy through (which I am for) is by uniting sides, not by shaming people. This is actually why I loved Obama so much, he was very good at speaking to people in a way that brings people together, Trump is literally the opposite. This type of shaming is why I fear Trump may win in November which I am praying doesn’t happen.

Regardless, I have no interest in talking politics. Discussions about politics and religion bring out the worst in people.

Again, I just want to reiterate, I’m referring to American conservatives. If you’re a card carrying member of the Conservative Party here in Canada, then you’re about as far on the right of the political spectrum as Barack Obama or Joe Biden. Canadian conservatives are still left-leaning. They are FISCALLY conservative (not necessarily a bad thing) but are still usually socially very liberal. Abortion, gay marriage, trans rights, etc. aren’t even worthy of a debate here in Canada. You really can’t compare American Republicans to Canadian “conservatives.”

That’s fair, no argument form me regarding that.

So I thought I would give Dynamite another chance tonight. After the first match I am already regretting it. It was possibly one of the worst matches I have seen in a long time. Everything about it was so obviously fake. From Jericho’s embarrassingly weak kicks to that orange knob to the stagey awkwardly standing about in groups waiting for someone to do a (yawn) “spot” that was never really impressive the first time it was done 15 years ago never mind for the zillionth time. Total amateur hour stuff. Embarrassing.

So frustrating. They have the tools but just can’t help themselves.