Rewind-A-Wai returns next Tuesday with a review of All Japan Women’s Dream Slam event from April 1993.

We will be reviewing the last five matches of the card:
*Cuty Suzuki and Mayumi Ozaki vs. Takako Inoue and Kyoko Inoue
*Aja Kong and Bull Nakano vs. Eagle Sawai and Harley Saito
*Dynamite Kansai vs. Yumiko Hotta
*Akira Hokuto vs. Shinobu Kandori
*WWWA World Tag Team Championship: Manami Toyota and Yamada vs. Kudo and Combat Toyota

The full show can be viewed below and you can leave feedback on any & all matches.

1 Like

Bruce from Vancouver,

What a show! I’d seen the main event before but the rest of the card was new to me, so thanks for the impetus to sit down with it, Chase. Pretty much everything here is hard-hitting and intense from start to finish, even the comedy-accented trios match in the middle. While I only knew a handful of names going into the show, the inter-promotion concept made it easier to jump in without context. Undercard highlights included the crazy suplex sequence in the opener, Bat Yoshinaga spin-kicking everyone, and Bull Nakano just being Bull mother-fucking Nakano. As for the top two matches, their reputation proceeds them. Full-throttle, violent dashes with incredible storytelling, they’re two of the best tag matches I’ve ever seen, full stop. Legends like Manami Toyota and Akira Hokuto are respected even by folks with only a passing knowledge of joshi like me for a reason, and this card shows exactly why that is. And to think: according to Cagematch, 12 year old me was probably watching Friar Ferguson and Giant Gonzalez squashes on Raw the week this show happened!

10/10.

Akira Hokuto vs. Shinobu Kandori was the first Joshi match I ever watched back in the early 2000s on a stream using Real Player with less than ideal video quality. Despite some grainy video, this match immediately became one of my favourites of all time, and to this day Hokuto is my favourite women’s wrestler.

Ir you’ve never watched Joshi before, this match is a perfect one to start with.