This Tuesday March 10th, join me, John and special guest Brent Chittenden for our latest MCU review, Avengers: Infinity War.

Leave your feedback below!

Iron Man, Thor, the Hulk and the rest of the Avengers unite to battle their most powerful enemy yet – the evil Thanos. On a mission to collect all six Infinity Stones, Thanos plans to use the artifacts to inflict his twisted will on reality. The fate of the planet and existence itself has never been more uncertain as everything the Avengers have fought for has led up to this moment.

This was this generation’s Empire Strikes Back. Thanos is the perfect comic book heel. He’s deadly and unstable yet eerily relatable and completely believes he is in the right. That marvel humor acts as great comic relief for the tragedy to come. It starts in the middle of the action and never lets up. It’s a long movie but doesn’t feel it. A masterpiece.l!

Wai and John, how would you rank this movie to the other marvel films and the other avengers films specifically?

1 Like

I considered this one of the very best movies of the last decade. We saw the Avengers prepared for the arrival of Thanos, we saw how, by circumstances and decisions, each group of heroes battle his’ army and eventually, the Mad Titan himself. We saw the struggles of Wanda, who have to choose between keeping the one that she loves and the chance to stop the destruction of the universe.
But most importantly, we saw how and why Thanos becomes the evil that he is. We saw his backstory, we saw the lessons he learned conquering the universe, and how he came to the conclusion of wipe out half of the universe. More than anything, this is a Thanos movie, the one villain that’s behind it all. Thanos is a ruthless conqueror, and one that believes that he’s in the right, which is the best kind of villain. The movie shows how evil he can be from the first minutes, which instilled a feeling of impending doom into the atmosphere. The action, and thus the anticipation keeps building up throughout the movie.
And that ending, man, what an ending it is. How many superhero movie have you seen that ended with the bad guy wins definitely like that? I remember seeing this in theater and there were only silence. Everybody were shocked. The emotional stake has been set, and gives you a reason to go and see Endgame, to seek hope, to see the Avengers trying their best to defeat Thanos. One more time.

Jordan from Kitchener

This by far one of the best superhero movies of all time. Yes, even passing Endgame, in my opinion. Bring it! I went three times in theatres and each time my fandom grew heavily with this. The ending was so perfect with everyone, even I shocked at the events what we would later learn as “the blip”.

10 out of 5 stars

1 Like

Jesse in Taipei

Superheroes generally don’t interest me nor my friends. But in 2018, some friends wanted to see Black Panther as they were curious about a major motion picture with a majority black cast. I went along and it was the first Marvel film I ever saw. I enjoyed it, so when everybody was talking about Infinity War a few months later, I went and watched that, too. And I enjoyed this film even more. I think Thanos is a compelling antagonist with complexities that I did not expect to see in a superhero movie.

But I have a confession to make. When I sat down in the cinema and watched this movie in 2018 . . . I, too, had no idea who Steve Rodgers was. For years I’ve let John take flak for this same ignorance while I never had the courage to stand up in his defense. John, I apologise.

Take Care

2 Likes

Daniel “Thor Ragnarok” in London

The complexities of merging so many stories, styles and characters from multiple films spanning several years makes my brain hurt to think of the planning that went in to this film. Seeing firsthand how this world came together at Marvel / Disney and to see how expertly they managed to present this collective story was to me a shining example of how far ahead Disney are to anyone else. No one in any other medium has managed to craft something of this size with enough payoffs to stories AND make a lot of money in the process. The fact that the film also happens to be incredible as well should be something historical we all look back at many years from now.
Question - do either of you think professional wrestling could ever present storytelling in a similar, multi-part, multi-character setting as the MCU has? I think it could be done but would need a major rethink on approach.

1 Like

By this point in most franchise movie series, the law of diminishing returns has well and truly kicked in. Instead, this film manages to juggle an enormous cast of characters, tie together threads from previous movies, tell a compelling one-shot story, and leave the audience not just wanting more, but needing to find out what happens next.

By any standard, it’s an astonishing feat of film-making.

I love this movie, that said I think it does suffer a bit in hindsight after the films that come after it, Captain Marvel and Endgame. Not to the point where it is a bad outing just that it isn’t as enjoyable as it was on first viewing. Little things bother me like:

• Why does Nick Fury wait until they have lost to call Captain Marvel who could apparently have taken Thanos out alone.

• Scarlett Witch is seen as powerful enough to take down Thanos, so why didn’t she just do this instead of trying to kill Vision.

• The Gamora death is far less impactful knowing she will return.

So great film overall, just not as great as the first time I watched it knowing the eventual resolution.