On Rewind-A-Wai #128 - John & Wai look back at CM Punk’s appearance on the Art of Wrestling podcast with Colt Cabana.

Ep. 226 of the show from November 2014 was Punk’s first public interview since exiting WWE earlier in the year and going through his various issues and problems with the company in a now famous discussion.

John & Wai will isolate the key points and look back at them in context - over eight years later.

Post any questions or thoughts on the Punk interview for this week’s show.

Rewind-A-Wai #128 will be released on Thursday for all POST Wrestling Café members.

Chris from Scotland :scotland:

Hindsight is 20/20. This podcast hits differently all these years later. When I first listened to this, I was on Punk’s side. I felt for him, I sympathised, and I believed every word he said. 2023, not so much.

I know there are three sides to every story, and the whole truth will likely never come out ultimately, but I am curious to see if you know the answer to this.

Between the two podcasts, there was an episode of RAW that emanated from Chicago. The week heading up to the show, Meltzer said numerous times that Punk was 100% showing up at this event. He didn’t (I believe this was the #HiJackRaw episode).

Dave gets things wrong sometimes. We all do, but was there ever a chance that Punk was showing up?

Also, congrats on all the work and coverage with the sale and everything. You’ve shown the world who the heavy hitters are in Wrestling News.

BG from England.

I remember being so excited when this Podcast came out. I even remember listening to it in my kitchen through Bluetooth speakers whilst making dinner, then continuing to listen as I ate. Madness.

I was at Wrestlemania 30 and had bought tickets whilst Punk was still with the company. When he left after the Rumble, I was sad I wouldn’t get to see him wrestle live. Still pissed about that.

I am still, and will always be, Team Punk. There’s something about his ‘fuck you guys’ energy that resonates with me.

Question: How have your attitudes towards Punk changed from this Podcast up until the recent All Out presser?

Sal from California

I was an avid Art of Wrestling listener when this episode came out. Here on the west coast, I would download each new episode around midnight right when it dropped and listen to it during my commute the next morning. When I saw that Punk was the guest for this episode, I could hardly believe it. I wound up staying up way too late and listening to the entire episode while chatting with friends on Twitter throughout. So much has changed in those 9 years but at the time, hearing a wrestler airing out his grievances publicly was mind-blowing for me.

My question out of curiosity: Have you two ever interviewed Punk and what was your experience like?

Brian in New Jersey.

I echo Sal’s sentiments. I listened to Art of Wrestling every week, I was quite surprised to see this episode pop up, and I think I just listened to it right then and soaked it all in. A wild ride of a podcast that would have repercussions years later, with Cabana unfairly roped into the legal battle, in my opinion.

1 Like