This Friday, the MCU reviews are back with a review of “Guardians of the Galaxy 2” from 2017.

Wai Ting and I will share our thoughts on the sequel and want to hear your feedback and/or questions related to the film.

Leave your comments below and tune in this Friday on the POST Wrestling Café.

I think I am in the minority when I say I preferred this movie to the first one. I watched it on a dreary sunday, a few hours after having watched the Justice League. There is no match between the MCU and DC Movies. One is long term booking the other one is just on the fly. That reminds me of something…

I loved everything about this movie, the story, the setting, the characters, the music. The death of Yondu at the end is beautifully done.

This movie is glorious.

The introduction of Mantis in the MCU could be the key to bring the Silver Surfer later on.

1 Like

Eric Marcotte,

When Guardians of the Galaxy 1 came out, I had low expectations. Even as a comic book fan, I was unfamiliar with the Guardians, and I expected that movie to bomb both critically and financially. I was very wrong, and I think Guardians of the Galaxy still holds up as one of Marvels strongest offerings.

I wish I felt the same way about Guardians of the Galaxy 2. This movie tries to be about family, but I don’t think it works very well here. The main story (regarding the relationship between Quill and Ego) separates Quill from his companions, and he stands around doing nothing for half of the movie. Drax, Rocket and Groot are just there to be funny, and don’t get me wrong; this movie is funny, but it lacks the weight and emotion of the first. It feels like you’re just waiting for the next joke to come, as opposed to being engaged in the story being told.

The cast is still great (especially Michael Rooker) and this is still a fun movie, but I don’t consider Guardians 2 to be among the upper echelon of MCU films.

I saw this movie shortly after I had lost my father, and the concept of fatherhood was a huge plot point in this movie, which reduced me to tears. Perhaps that clouded my judgment of this movie, but it was a movie I needed, but cannot revisit. It wasn’t as entertaining as the first one, but (possibly) better. Plus, Kurt fucking Russell!!
3.75 out of 5

2 Likes

Burak from Saint Albans, UK here.

Really enjoyable movie, although having rewatched it recently, I am not sure about Yondu being heralded as a hero after his sacrifice to save Quill, as he was quite literally a Child Trafficker and an accessory to the murder of thousands.

Anyway, Rocket remains my favourite character and Trash Panda is still something I call my good friends to this day. I do want to see more of his backstory though and how he met Groot. He’s a loveable rogue.

I felt Drax was more parts comic relief this film than some parts badass, which he was in the first film. I have no issue with this, but would have liked to have seen him kick some more ass.

Mantis is a great addition to the cast and also provided some great comedy alongside Drax. They are both quite literal but Mantis is a lot more innocent.Brilliant portrayal by Pom Klementieff.

Question for you both, would you like to see Stallone have a more prominent role in the next movie/s so we can get him do a Boxing scene with Batista?