Post your feedback to Guardians of the Galaxy, which will be the subject of our MCU review this Friday for members of the POST Wrestling Café.

Brandon from Oshawa

I cant blame Triple H and Stephanie for feeling the way they did going into this movie. I was just a casual viewer of the MCU at the time this came out, only having watched a couple of the movies that came before this. I remember thinking, that this was going to be the first dud for Marvel. I was sure of it. I had never heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy before. I questioned the casting choices. Batista, really? Pretty big names like Bradley Cooper & Vin Diesel, only providing voice casting? And I knew nothing of Chris Pratt.

Then the movie came out and I fucking loved it. The cast was perfect. It was fun and hilarious and action packed and had a great soundtrack and I ate my words. This was the movie that really got me into the MCU as more than just a casual viewer after this.

1 Like

Mj

I watched this movie for a girl who was very into the MCU universe. She was impressed I watched it (she said this would be the easiest to understand with no prior knowledge). Then she moved. I recently sent her a note saying you guys are doing an MCU review series…Doubt it’ll go anywhere but if I marry her I’ll name my first kid “John Wai from NJ”.

(It’s definitely not going anywhere)

1 Like

Eric from Sudbury,

I absolutely loved this movie. 2014 was the year that really reinvigorated my love of the superhero genre, with films like Guardians, Winter Solider and Days of Future Past coming out. This movie worked on almost every level. The comedy hit, the drama worked and the actors all gave solid performances. One actor who often gets overlooked is Michael Rooker, who is always a joy to watch on screen, and thankfully got a bigger role in Guardians 2. The villain was weak (a common MCU problem), but ultimately this movie wasn’t about him, it was about the Guardians, and I don’t think they could of done a better job of introducing them.

Question: Do you think that Marvel has overly relied on it’s use of mainstream music since this movies release? It works for Guardians of course, but it’s just a thought that’s occurred to me while typing this up. It’s been used quite often in Phase Three, and I think it’s sort of lost the effect it had here.

1 Like

When I was going to watch the film back in 2014, I didn’t have huge expectations as I only knew about the Guardians from Marvel vs. Capcom 3. But, after the film I left the cinema loving it and it still holds up for me as my favourite Marvel film ever.

The music was fantastic and it added so much to the film, all 5 of the Guardians were played fantastically and were just fun and loveable. It made me care about a tree who only says 5 words, thats how good this film is. Batista is great as Drax and he has some of the best lines throughout all the Marvel films.

Even though Ronin wasn’t that interesting of a villain, which was a huge issue for the MCU films at the time, it doesn’t matter as all other aspects of the film was so good that you forget this.

It’s totally worth the watch and I’m so glad James Gunn is coming back for the 3rd film.
If you ever see one MCU besides the Avengers, this is the one!

Question: What is your favourite Drax line?

This was the one. This was the one cynics thought would do poorly athe box office, wouldn’t connect with audiences and wouldn’t stand up to critics’ reviews. Boy, were people wrong!

Marvel was successful in every film up to this point. While Iron Man never had the comic book popularity his movie counterpart had, he was still a major part of marvel comics as was captain America, Thor etc. But the Guardians were a largely unsuccessful property most knew nothing about. They were relaunched in the early 2000s by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning. The early 2000s? While most marvel properties were created in the 1960’s and popularized in the 80s or 90s the Guardians were largely a fringe and niche property.

I had never read a single guardians book before 2014. I knew some of the characters from 1990s Jim Starlin books like Infinity Gauntlet but James Gunn clearly saw this as a passion project. He put his heart and soul into this. Guardians with its heart, humour and music brought non-marvel fans into it and comic nerds like me learned about a whole crop of new stories and rich characters. Gunn cast his brother and best friend in key roles and was very hands on. He also earned the love and respect of his cast, including a very loyal Dave Bautista (spelled the legal way).

Thanks to Gunn and thanks to Guardians I have complete faith in every marvel project hereafter. Even if I never heard of the characters before I know Marvel means quality and passion!

Imran from Huddersfield

This is, in my opinion, the best MCU movie. From the actors, to the characters, to the soundtrack, to the space setting, to the comedy, everything just works.

The highlight for me is the opening credits. With no dialogue and Starlord being, well, Starlord… it completely grabs your attention and lets you know straight away that this probably isn’t the movie you thought it was going to be and definitely your typical MCU movie… and it just goes from strength to strength from there. Also, the use of “Redbone - Come and get your love” in that scene is also note perfect, as is the soundtrack throughout the film.

The fact that this movie, against the odds, became the biggest box office movie of the summer - despite the fact that at the time it didn’t have big star as the lead actor, was one of the lesser known Marvel properties in wider culture, and had a director who’s resume was basically two great B-movies Super and Slither - is a testament to just how good it is.

My question if you haven’t already answered it - whats your favourite song from the soundtrack?

I went to an IMAX preview of this movie (The whole intro scene in the Kyln) and that was what hooked me onto this movie. As a fan of the old school Guardians as a kid (Charlie 27 forever!) I had some misgivings about the adaptation of the reboot of the series from 03. But when I walked out of that theatre on opening night, I knew…

1. This was fucking awesome.
  2. I wanted the soundtrack. (That never happens with these movies)
  3. Who knew the best actors in this movie were the shlubby guy from Parks and Recreation, Uhura from JJ’s Star Trek, a very heavily made up former wrestler, and a CGI raccoon and talking tree.
    Guardians though perfectly encapsulates what the MCU is, a comic book movie full of heart, humour, and gratuitous violence that appeals to the whole family.
    Rich in Winnipeg.