FEEDBACK (MCU L8R): She-Hulk

Bump for She-Hulk! Primer drops tomorrow.

2 Likes

For those of you who haven’t had the privilege of watching Tatiana Maslany, let me tell you that you are in for a treat. She used to star in a show called Orphan Black where she pulled off an amazing performance playing a wide range of character (it was a show about clones), she even earned herself an under the radar Emmy. I’m sure she will kill it in this show, once I catch up years down the road I will give it a shot. I just watched the 2008 version of the Hulk on the weekend lol.

2 Likes

Dan Slott’s She Hulk run was phenomenal. That is the best comic recommendation for this series. I know she is sort of synonymous with John Byrne but I think Slott’s run is very contemporary and ever green.

1 Like

Magan from Ottawa, ON

Much has been said about She-Hulk for months (especially the discourse about the CGI). Well, to hell with all that noise. The first episode gets off to a strong, self-aware start. Tatiana Maslany nails it as Jen Walters. She captures her charm, self-awareness and go-getter attitude with such aplomb. Her chemistry with Ruffalo is terrific and I loved how they differ on how to channel anger in how it took Bruce a long time to master his whereas Jen mastered hers from childhood. In addition, the tone is reminiscent of John Byrne’s work with a bit of the modern stuff of Dan Slott and Charles Soule. It’s such light, breezy fun.

2 Likes

That brief bit about how she has to hide her frustrations/anger in a work environment the way men don’t have to makes me hope we’ll get a (not cliche) comparison of men vs women standards not just of male/female hulk but expectations of men/women in society or professional settings. A little social commentary in shows can be nice and we still have a way to go in that respect.

The alien ship and all the Steve discussion makes me think there will be a lot more connections to the wider universe.

Did it bother anyone anyone else that Jen cgi’s mouth was out of sync with dialogue but Bruce’s cgi mouth was better matched?

And finally, that hulk transformation also gives glorious, glorious, volume in her hair. Jen Walters better be approached for a shampoo commercial in one of these episodes. Can you imagine if they distilled Bruce’s blood to replace rogaine and male pattern baldness is solved in the multiverse?

Mannie from Pacoima

Pretty great opener. As someone who doesn’t know much about the character I enjoyed this introduction to Jen Walters, seeing everything come so natural to her as a new hulk while Bruce’s jealousy kept growing was a nice touch of family rivalry. Bruce mentioning tony on more than one occasion makes me wonder if later on we’ll see how his loss has really affected him or maybe Bruce was just a one off for the show. I’m looking forward to the rest of the episodes and getting to know more about Jen Walters: attorney at law. Also W.H. did tony change the punk-moxley match to next week because he heard you’re going to be in chicago?

1 Like

Great pointing that out! They did the grief theme with spiderman but a more mature version of that might be neat to see.

1 Like

Robbie from London, Ontario

Definitely loved this debut, made even better by how much my partner loved it as well, since She Hulk (along with Spider Woman) is one of her absolute favourite fictional characters. This was a TON of fun, and a great way to set the stage. Can’t wait for more!

1 Like

Jay from Colorado

Excellent first episode, I love the direction and the tone of the series.

One thing I always look forward to with these Marvel shows ever since Wandavision is the end credits as they are always as fun and unique and reward you for paying attention to details. As a fan of law and crime podcasts, and “lawyer shows” I thought it was the perfect touch that they were done in the style of court room sketches. Looking forward to having MCU Later back on the menu for a bit!

1 Like

I purposely went out to buy some knockoff cheetos to use chopsticks with. Son of a bitch, it works.

2 Likes

The show is getting severely review-bombed on Rotten Tomato, iMDB and Metacritic. A bunch of angry, feckless man-children that can’t fathom the concept of a strong woman decided this show is their enemy.

The first episode did a lot of cool tone setting for the character and her own choice to serve people and justice in her own ways. She is a badass, I think this show is gonna be good. And Banner’s trauma being challenged is great and essential.

Mannie from pacoima

I am really enjoying she hulk, this episode felt to short which for me is a good thing because it left me wanting more. The ending was a great tie in to shang chi and I expect we see wong in the next episode. It was great to see josh segarra who played prometheus in Arrow, I wonder if his character will play a bit of a role in the show.

Seeing the hesitation on Jen’s face upon finding out she was only hired as she-hulk must have caused quite a bit of conflict in herself, as well as being rejected job after job because all the other law firms chose to focus more on the she-hulk image rather than Jen Walters herself. I can’t wait to see what happens in the next episode and I hope we never see that scum dennis again

1 Like

Magan from Ottawa, ON

Two episodes into the story and She-Hulk is fitting into the tapestry smoothly. Jen’s new normal after that courtroom scrap with Titania has shut her out of any firms. Tatiana conveys Jen’s struggle to love the green skin she now finds herself in. The supporting cast got more of a spotlight in her new superhuman law firm. (Josh Segarra from Arrow stands out) and Tim Roth’s Blonsky being Jen’s first case does stir up some emotions that might make keeping her new gig tougher

Easter eggs found:
• “Man fight with metal claws in a bar brawl” sounds like Wolverine (SNIKT!)

• Bruce is flying god knows where (Is this gonna lead to World War Hulks?)

• Ally McBeal playing in a bar was a nice touch. It drives home how much of an influence it has on the show.

• Abomination’s escape ties right into his Shang-Chi cameo brilliantly.

Overall, another strong outing.

1 Like

It’s kind of weird. Lots of industries and jobs encourage applications from underrepresented groups (gender, sexuality, ethnicity, etc.). People can end up feeling like they got the job for the wrong reason and feel terrible about it. Interesting to see using powers instead of the gender identity in this case, while pointing out a board of old white guys during her complaint to the viewer.

PS. The green tinge in her hair’s sheen, instead of the usual more violet/brown is really nice.

PPS I love that Bruce Banner and Jen Walters’ dad are no perfect strangers…

This is what I’m most curious about. Think he meets up with Fury?

My favorite part is when Bruce said him and Abomination have settled there issues and he was a different person then. Literally. As it was Ed Norton then.

2 Likes

Jay from Colorado

Just gotta point out that they were playing Ally McBeal on the TV at the bar Jennifer was at when she got the job offer. Its the little things like that that make this show so special.

But now I have to wonder if Robert Downey Jr also exists in the MCU as well.

1 Like

In my head, that character was played by Jeffrey Dean Morgan. He looks so much like RDJ at all life stages.

1 Like

I always felt Jeffery Dean Morgan looked like Javier Bardem, but I can see RD Jr.

1 Like

That’s who plays negan on the walking dead an John Winchester on supernatural in the MCU.

1 Like