Wai Ting and I will be back with a bonus show on Sunday reviewing both New Beginning in Sapporo cards from this weekend.

Leave us your feedback & questions to answer at the end of the show. The show will up Sunday night for Café members.

RATE NIGHT ONE IN SAPPORO

0 voters

RATE NIGHT TWO IN SAPPORO

0 voters

Night One
*Hirooki Goto vs. Shingo Takagi for the NEVER Openweight title
*Tomohiro Ishii vs. EVIL
*Kazuchika Okada & Jon Moxley vs. Minoru Suzuki & Taichi
*Tetsuya Naito & Sanada vs. KENTA & Jay White
*Hiromu Takahashi & Bushi vs. Ryu Lee & Robbie Eagles
*Zack Sabre Jr., El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Douki vs. Will Ospreay, Roppongi 3K & Ryusuke Taguchi
*Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Toa Henare vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi & Yota Tsuji
*Taiji Ishimori & El Phantasmo vs. Tiger Mask & Yuya Uemura

Night Two
*Toa Henare vs. Yota Tsuji
*Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Manabu Nakanishi & Tiger Mask vs. Togi Makabe, Tomoaki Honma & Yuya Uemura
*El Phantasmo vs. Gabriel Kidd
*Hirooki Goto, Tomohiro Ishii & Robbie Eagles vs. Shingo Takagi, EVIL & Bushi
*Jon Moxley, Roppongi 3K & Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Minoru Suzuki, El Desperado, Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Douki
*Tetsuya Naito, Sanada & Hiromu Takahashi vs. KENTA, Jay White & Taiji Ishimori
*Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre Jr. for the British heavyweight title
*Kazuchika Okada vs. Taichi

Brandon from Oshawa

Only watched the last 3 matches of night one and thought they were all excellent, but would have been even better, if the crowd was better. This may have been the quietest New Japan crowd, I’ve ever heard. My favorite match was the Moxley tag match. All his interactions with Suzuki were excellent and make me look forward to their singles match even more.

The Taichi beat down of Okada was great and gives an excuse for Okada, if he does lose, which I don’t expect. Do you think with Shingo saying that the NEVER title is number 1, they’ll eventually break him away from LIJ to feud with Naito? Could they potentially want Naito 3 Belts?

Bruce from Vancouver,

These were both enjoyable and easy to watch shows, if not exactly earth shattering. The easy highlights were Shingo/Goto and Ospreay/Sabre. Given his style, there’s something eerie about the prominent Suicidal Tendencies artwork on Hiromu’s punk jacket. Moxley/Suzuki is coming together wonderfully, with Moxley coming across as the only person in the company crazy enough or stupid enough to not really fear Suzuki. While it was better than most of his singles matches, I still can’t accept Taichi as a credible headliner. Yes, he’s improved in ring and some crowds do get behind him, but I feel like some people are rushing to throw roses at his feet far too prematurely.

A question: what does the future hold for Evil? While it seems obvious that Sanada is being set up for a prominent 2020 run, Evil looks to be treading water. Though he had plenty of solid enough matches last year, I don’t see much impetus for him to be moved up the card. Would you push for him to break from LIJ or reinvent himself in some other way, or just accept him at the spot on the card he’s settled into for the past couple of years?

Mj
Watching the last few matches of Night 1 so I’ll keep this simple:

The Jericho Moxley eye stabbing could have been silly pro wrestling shit - but Jon Moxley wearing an eyepatch around the world to sell it is simply incredible and sells the angle so well. Also this picture should be framed

Also Hiromu is on another level with his sequences - first with Will and now Ryu.

1 Like

When I saw that Mox was still sporting the Beric Dondarrion look even in NJPW I was impressed. “Commit to the bit” as they say. Mox seems to be trying to resurrect kayfabe where it makes sense to do so, and I am not upset by that.

In my opinion he is been a breath of fresh air to wrestling in the west. It is cool to see the Bucks and Kenny mainline in the US now but I don’t see much new from them.

They have a company to run, and I wonder if deep down they (including Cody) are worried about putting themselves on top w/ the belts and how that could be perceived amongst the locker room and the fans.

I’d say someone else I think is really committing would be Adam Page…

Two very good shows, with Night 2 being the standout.

Best matches were Shingo vs. Goto, ZSJ vs. Ospreay, and Okada vs. Taichi.

Thought Ishii vs. EVIL did not measure up to their match last year.

And yes, Ioved Okada vs. Taichi. I can stand Taichi’s cheating but hate his stalling. In this match, I thought he kept his stalling to a minimum and I really dug the match and they story they told.

Why is every Okada match always the same