0 voters

Allo, allo, allo! Davie Portman here requesting all of your feedback for tonight’s episode of NXT featuring Rhea Ripley vs Dakota Kai, Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan vs Killian Dain & Drake Maverick and A Very Gargano Christmas!!

Join Braden and I LIVE at 10:15pm for a brand new edition of “upNXT” on our Twitch channel!

Happy Festivus, boys! Poor No Way Jose. That Gargano Christmas-thing was weird especially since Christmas is on Friday.

During Rhea’s match, it was tough to not think about where she was exactly 52 weeks ago; winning the title to end the year while the Dark Order was missing their target over on TNT. At least she’s back in a feud everyone wants to see.

Tonight, Mercedes Martinez showed that it will take no time whatsoever for fans to move on from Retribution.

Wouldn’t it be great if Kross went to the main roster and the Finn/Kyle feud just continued forever?

MJ
I enjoy these odd nights I watch NXT first. Assorted thoughts

• Great beat down of Io. She is a wonderful champion with a multitude of worthy challengers in a stacked division
  • Ciampa doing a Fight Pit that I will want to see. NXT should have explored this more as the Underground (instead of Raw nonsense).
  • Two well produced video packages that make the Kross Priest feud feel like something I want now. Kinda digging it and Kross’s rode back to the inevitable story. Actually imagine that match at a proper Takeover with arena style entrances for a crowd.
  • Roderick Strong is an incredible hype man. Everyone needs a hype man like that. I really want and Adam Cole v Adam Page story where Cole tells Page he was an understudy who took his role. I don’t want to see Adam Cole stuck wrestling Velvateen Dream on NXT TV anymore. How do we free Adam Cole? And don’t say main roster.
  • Velvateen Dream has gone full Dennis Rodman. Never go full Dennis Rodman. Next think you know your an ambassador of North Korea.

Merry Christmas UpNXT Friends

Andrew from Cape Breton

If there’s one thing I like about street fights, it’s following the rules of tags and holding that tag rope. The show was ok tonight, I’ll probably end up watching AEW tomorrow. They did a good job establishing the talent on the show, which was great as I don’t normally watch NXT and just listen to you guys. It’s one thing I hate about Raw, where everything feels like it’s a repeat. The worst part of the night though was the return of the Velveteen Dream. He must have something on management, like he knows some dirty secret of theirs. Him and Austin Theory make NXT a tough watch sometimes. 6 out of 10 show. Question. If the Living Dead Girl Abadon was christened with the Gargano name, would she be called British Wrestling?

Hiya and Happy Holidays!

NXT tonight was fine (outside of Dream).

• Rhea vs Raquel should be a fun match, but I’m pretty certain Raquel is winning.

• Toni calling out Io is a nice touch, but she’s likely not getting the next title shot.

• Retaliation Mercedes returning to NXT was a nice touch, and she made a statement by having Io stretchered out of the arena. However, I feel like she’s just a filler challenger as WWE doesn’t know if they want to have Raquel or Toni face Io for the title at the next major event (I doubt its gonna be NYE).

• God damnit, keep Velveteen Dream away from the product. I was hoping he was gone forever, and I hope he is again after tonight. He’s a waste of space. No one wanted him back.

Question of the Week: Did either of you listen/watch Kairi’s podcast? It was pretty interesting as she talked about her life in the US, and who she got along with the most backstage (Asuka, Becky, Sasha, and Bayley were the women who she got along with the most). She also talked about how she got really depressed when she moved back to Japan, because she has an addiction to five hour energy drinks now, and they aren’t easy to find over there. Worth a listen if you can find it, or want to buy it.

As an aside:

Tonight’s episode didn’t lean too hard into the Christmas theme and I’m glad it didn’t.

• The promo package for the Balor/O’Reilly rematch in two weeks was so effective in putting over their Takeover 31 match.

• Atlas/Swerve was a fun match and i’m interested in this new direction for Swerve Scott (where are all the good babyfaces gone?)

• Mercedes Martinez escaped the Retribution hellhole and she thrust herself into a big match with Io Shirai. There’s always a way out.

• The tag title street fight was chaotic.

• It boggles my mind that it was only a year ago when Rhea Ripley won the women’s title and how 2020 pulled the rug out from under her. That said, her and Dakota Kai put on a good show and the LWS at NYE vs Raquel Gonzalez promises to be violent.

• Nice to see Bronson Reed again. Claws up!

• The Gargano Xmas party was hilarious stuff and Adam Cole/TVD was a solid main event that leaves me wondering where Cole goes next with Kyle gunning for the NXT championship.

Onwards to New Year’s Evil

Happy Holidays to the BDE and Support Indi Wrestling!

Vic Joseph is driving me mad. He doesn’t sell moves correctly and he doesn’t know half of the moves. I’m shouting at my screen “call it call it !” All it takes is a bit of research on the wrestlers, I don’t think he does that.