Leave your feedback here for this month’s MCU review, Avengers: Age of Ultron.

Brandon from Oshawa

I had recently started watching The Blacklist at the time and James Spader is incredible on that show. I was really into him at the time, so him voicing the villain, combined with this being an Avengers movie, I thought was a recipe for sure gold. Plus the twist in the trailers of “No Strings On Me” was amazing. I was super hyped going in…and then I fell asleep during the movie and still to this day have not gone back to watch it. I found it incredibly boring and disappointing. Of all the MCU films that I’ve actually gone to the theatre to watch, this one is by far the worst.

1 Like

Scrump from Pro Wrestling Tees

Bang! Bang! What is up you guys?

This review is one I’ve been particularly waiting for as I feel that post Infinity War/Endgame, it’s been getting more love.
Prior to those two, this was considered one of the weaker Marvel movies for the simple fact that it didn’t live up to what people expected to which is hard to do after The Avengers.

I thought this movie did a good job of introducing Vision, Scarlett Witch, and even Quicksilver for the short time he was on screen.
At the time Fox was having success with their version of Quicksilver which I always felt was the reason Joss Whedon decided to kill him off.

I didn’t have a problem with Hawkeye getting more screen time and have always found him to be one of my favorite MCU characters as he always delivers with what they give him.

Weirdly enough, in an interview with IGN Joss Whedon revealed that the ending scene with Cap and his team of Avengers was supposed to feature Captain Marvel and Spider-Man!
This was when Sony had approached Marvel about working something out which ultimately led to his Civil War cameo.

I hope that as time goes on people will look back more fondly on this movie as fans seem to now in a post Endgame world.

8 Bruce Banner mispronouncing “Wakanda”’s out of 10.

1 Like

Hi John & Wai,

First time poster, long time listener.

I remember seeing this in the theater and being somewhat underwhelmed. However, as time has gone on, it’s not quite as underwhelming as it was on initial viewing and it actually is a nice “when they got along” chapter. Given what was built on this and what would come, the team being together is nice to see, even if the movie starts on something that wouldn’t appear to need the Avengers.

Joss Whedon has stated that he didn’t want to waste time regathering the Avengers like the first film, but I think that is almost as important this time around given where Captain America and Iron Man leave their solo movies (IM3 and Winter Soldier).

The visions being decently close to moments that would eventually pay off and Thanos grabbing the Infinity Gaunlet serve as fun moments to look back on, and the tease of “Avengers Assemble” at the end are all good fun.

Even a not-as-great MCU film is worth the price of a ticket and popcorn.

Thanks for all the audio!
-Rich

1 Like

Ventak from Mumbai,

I think this was the third MCU movie I saw in theatres after The Winter Soldier and Guardians of the Galaxy, so Age of Ultron had pretty big shoes to fill. While I didn’t hate the movie, I did feel kinda disappointed after I came out of the theatre. We had already seen the grand unification of the Avengers in the first movie and this did feel like a rehashing of the same story, with the Avengers fighting sentient robots instead of the Chitauri to save the earth.

But going back to watch it now, it’s actually a very good movie, sowing a lot of seeds for the upcoming MCU movies. Not as groundbreaking as the first Avengers movie and not as compelling as Infinity War/Endgame, it clearly was the transitional champion of the Avengers movies, more Ivan Koloff than Vince Russo, clearly. I certainly think it’s a strong follow up to The Avengers, given what this movie set up and what came up after

I don’t want to go into the specifics of the movie as Brother Nate, Brother Pollock and Brother Ting will dissect the movie inside out, but I do want to point out a few things I really liked.

1. LOTR is my favorite franchise ever, so it was really cool to see Andy Serkis play Klaue. (He plays Gollum in LOTR).

2. The fight scene between Hulk and Hulkbuster was probably my favourite fight scene until then in all the MCU movies. The Avengers infighting have always been some of the most compelling scenes and this wasn’t different.

3. When I first saw Vision, I thought he was a superman like figure, but he played a much lesser role in this and the subsequent movies than I figured. So was oddly surprised by that. Even more so, considering he was the only person other than Thor at the time to lift up Mjolnir.

All in all, I really enjoyed this movie with a second viewing. A solid 8 Quicksilver Bullets caught out of 10

Thanks for all the podcasts that the post family puts out!