Allo, allo, allo! Davie Portman here requesting all of your feedback for this month’s FREE upNXT Movie Review! We went to a Galaxy far, far away and now it’s time to head the dark underbelly of Gotham City as we talk all things - Batman.

Over the next several months we will be reviewing every Batman film on the free upNXT feed and we will be starting with Tim Burton’s “Batman” (1989) starring Michael Keaton and Jack Nicholson.

The Dark Knight of Gotham City begins his war on crime with his first major enemy being Jack Napier, a criminal who becomes the clownishly homicidal Joker.

Braden and I will be recording on Wednesday.

Movie changed my life. I still.have the cards with the really bad gum inside the package. Amazing soundtrack. Amazing performances, especially by Keaton and Nicholson. The GOAT for pre-Nolan batman movies.

And goddamn the NES Batman game was hard AF. But it came out like this film before either of you were even born!

Quick question for Bray D: have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

I got really obsessed with this movie as a pre-teen. I got all the toys, it introduced me to the world of funky music via Prince and I must have watched it 20 times. First movie that was awarded a 12 certificate in the UK (not that my dad cared who got me into the cinema when I was 10). An all-time classic.

1 Like

Ahoy!

[ ** Edit: apparently you did review the '66 movie! ** Starting with 1989 is understandable, but hopefully you’ll do the 1966 version also (after all you did the Star Wars Christmas Special!) ]

It was the 1966 movie I remember going to the theatre as a kid. It was showing in a town not far from us so I was taken with some others to see it.

And most importantly, that movie was showing with one of the black replica Batmobile outside the theatre! (The studio used to send those around the US.)

About the1989 movie: Love the traditional cinema feel that Burton achieved with the cinematography and music. Also, this version of Batman is less dressed up with special effects than later versions. I appreciate this as the 1989 Batman feels more human.

But parts of the movie I found a bit boring. Wrestling analogy: like a Randy Orton match, no matter how much talent, parts of a match bores me.

Jack Nicholson’s Joker vs. Heath’s Joker: I’m sure you’ll discuss this much in the future, but I find Nicholson’s Joker to be modeled more after Cesar Romero’s Joker as far as mannerisms, etc.

Overall recommendation: 1989 Batman is ok, but I would not have sought it out for rewatching if you guys hadn’t started this series.

Ahoy!

Kendell from Ohio
(Don’t use my username please its too long lol)

Similar to Faulty Rob Batman became a huge childhood obsession. I seen the film more times than a 3 year old me should of been allowed to. I was lucky enough to get a sega genesis copy of the Batman game along with the toys,bicycle and Halloween costume.

Onto my thoughts of the film. I loved the 1st appearance of Batman when he got back up from the gunshots to beat up the muggers then ending the scene with the iconic "I’m Batman " line

Jack Nicholson played a good Joker. He was charismatic, psychotic and entertaining villain.
My favorite parts of the movie were the Batmobile escape with Vicki Vale, the Bat Wing flying in front of the moon and the final act in the cathedral.

I’m looking forward to the reviews of other Batman films. I enjoyed the Star Wars reviews despite not knowing much about Star Wars. Keep up the good work!

1 Like

They did review the 66 batman. But it was on their patreon. Excellent review btw I do recommend it.

3 Likes

They did review the 66 batman.

Thx.