FEEDBACK upNXT Movie Review - Batman: Mask of The Phantasm (1993)

Allo, allo, allo! Davie Portman here requesting all of your feedback for this month’s Batman review and this time we are looking at the animated feature film “Batman: Mask of The Phantasm”. We will be recording on Thursday so make sure you get all of your feedback in!

Also, if you have any feedback for the animated series as a whole we would love to hear them!

When a powerful criminal who is connected to Bruce Wayne’s ex-girlfriend blames the Dark Knight for killing a crime lord, Batman decides to fight against him.

I love this movie. It is way beyond any of the live action movies of the time. You get some background on Batman. While everyone knows the ‘parents shot in alley, dress like bat’ origin, this was the first real look into his pre being ‘THE Batman’ days. The movie also has a love interest that is actually interesting. Oh, and a Joker that is actually creepy, funny, scary and not a waste of time like Jack. (Hate his Joker so much).

The voice cast have become iconic for so many people. Kevin Conroy is my Batman. Mark Hamil is my Joker. Efrem Zimbalist Jr. is my (& the best) Alfred. These are the voices I hear when I read a Batman comic.

What I feel help sets B:TAS apart from pretty much every other cartoon of the era (and beyond) is the art style. By going with backgrounds painted on black paper, the series has such a unique look that still looks amazing. And by going with a retro-noir feel, everything is eternally timeless. It never feels dated, because in a way, it always has been. Going back to say the 90s Spider-Man, it has not aged well.

Bruce Timm & Paul Dini (et al) were able to take Batman and treat it seriously. Yeah, there is inherent silliness in a guy dressing up as a bat, but they never treated it like a kids show. I enjoyed it as a kid, but I think I appreciate it more now as an adult.

10/10

1 Like

PaulPosted my Feedback in the wrong place like an idiot, but you should read it anyway. from New Jersey

i’ve really been enjoying the North American title picture. Cameron Grimes continues to be worth his weight in gold. Candice & Shotzi will make good captains for WARGAMES! Top notch main event as expected. NXT is the most consistent product on television. BRAYD, DPORT, How does it feel to be the best of the best?

This weeks Kona fact: I don’t watch the Mandalorian, but a little birdie told me Kona Reeves has a great ancestor on the show.The Finest brand even extends to space.

By the way that little birdie was John Siino. The man knows stuff about Kona Reeves & the IICONIC’s before I do. Make sure to tune in to review a smackdown on Friday to hear he & Cowboy. Cheers.

ANTHONY!

Hands down the BEST Batman animated film of all time (yes I am looking at you “Batman: Under the Red Hood”). Capturing the essence of the animated series, the crew delivered a captivating noir story while the the backdrops of Gotham where a feast for my eyes.

The Phantasm was a character who most never seem to put on Batman top five of greatest rouges list due to the film bombing in the box office, but I always though that the best villains are somewhat a reflection of that the hero tries not to be.It’s okay because The Phantasm will return in the upcoming DC Comic title, “Catwoman & Batman” as a main villain (of sorts)

10 “Kept Promises” out of 10

Kendell from Ohio

Thanks for reviewing this film. I never seen it prior to this week. I enjoyed the movie. Probably the best love interest out of any Batman films.
The Mark Hamill Joker brought back so many good memories. The animated series was very enjoyable and is a key reason I stayed interested in Batman.

Since this will be the only Animated Batman Movie that you guys will cover do any of you have any recommendations for other Animated Batman films?
I enjoyed 2016’s The Killing Joke.

to answer @Mr_MMA_Wrestling_247 I personally would recommend these as my top 5 after MotP and Killing Joke

1. Dark Knights Returns (2 parter)
  2. Batman Year One
  3. Under the Red Hood
  4. Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker
  5. Gotham By Gaslight

And shout out to the movies Batman vs. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Return of the Caped Crusaders and Batman vs. Two-Face which is an animated take of the 60’s Batman that brings back Adam West and Bruce Ward and even has William Shatner as Two-Face!

On to my feedback…

Mask of the Phantasm is one of the best feature film adaptations of Batman that I have seen, and if anyone is interested there is a stand-alone sequel that went straight to video entitled Batman/Mr. Freeze - Subzero. As far as B:TaS goes, it was iconic to me, and totally was years ahead of the Fox animated block of Spider-Man, X-Men, etc. It was a cartoon that somehow felt like it was meant for adults but I could still understand as a child. Had one of the best Joker, created the phenomenon that is Harley Quinn, and introduced me to unfamiliar villains of the rogues gallery that I fell in love with such as Scarecrow, Killer Croc, Clayface, Mad Hatter, Clock King and Man-Bat.

My FAVORITE episode of B:TaS would have to be ‘Heart of Ice’, the touching and emotional telling of Mr. Freeze’s story that even won the episode an Emmy for Writing! Sad that Arnold made a mockery of the character just 5 years later… but… that’s a story for another day.

Cheers!

1 Like