Allo, allo, allo! Davie Portman here. This month we are replacing the free Star Wars review with a review of the Pilot episode of Lost (2004).

Lost, is my favourite TV show of all time and this month celebrates 10 years since it’s finale. I thought it would be fun to go back and have a look at the Pilot (directed by JJ Abrams), which aired all the way back in 2014.

I would love to hear all of your thoughts on the Pilot. We will be looking more in depth at the rest of the series on our Patreon, so please keep this thread specific to the Pilot and spoiler-free for the rest of the show as I know some listeners are planning on starting the show for this podcast.

I will be recording with some of our listeners next Tuesday and would love to hear your feedback.

Ahoy!

Lost is the best, non hbo type drama, America has ever produced. The opening scene of the pilot is beyond anything else on television.

Aside from the pilot, the words, “not penny’s boat” choke me up every time.

Was hoping for a full series review, but will take what I can get, looking forward to it. Thanks.

Chris from Pennsylvania,

I was a freshman in college when LOST came out and I remember someone on my hall telling me about it. A show where people crash on a remote island, except there are polar bears and maybe also a dinosaur? I thought it sounded really dumb, until I actually gave the show a chance and it instantly became one of my favorites.

The pilot is arguably one of the best episodes of the entire series. It sets the tone immediately with the chaotic opening scene on the beach. After that, it does a great job of establishing a lot of different characters while also introducing the mysterious aspects of the show. I thought the scene where they find Pilot Greg Grunberg was great, and the end where they discover the French transmission was an excellent WTF moment to end things on. The flashbacks, which are probably overdone as a storytelling device today, did a great job of adding context to who these characters were before Flight 815 crashed.

Overall, you couldn’t ask for a better start to LOST, a show I’d argue was the most influential American show of this century, but that could be a discussion for a later podcast.

Hi Tony! Thanks for the feedback. We’re going to be covering the rest of the show spread over two podcasts on the Patreon for all Patrons including the Cruiserweight tier.

1 Like