On Rewind-A-Wai #69, Wai Ting and I will be reviewing WCW Halloween Havoc 1991 as selected by Espresso Executive Producer Justin Killian.

On this show, we will go back to October 1991 and look at the state WCW was in and all the major news from this week in history.

Leave us your feedback and questions for the show.

This edition of Rewind-A-Wai will be released on Tuesday, September 1st for all members of the POST Wrestling Café.

WCW Halloween Havoc
Sunday, October 27, 1991
Chattanooga, TN at the UTC Arena
*WCW World Title 2-of-3 Falls Match: Lex Luger (champion) vs. Ron Simmons
*WCW Tag Team Titles: Arn Anderson & Larry Zbyszko (champions) vs. Todd Champion & Fire Breaker Chip
*The Z-Man vs. The WCW Halloween Phantom
*WCW Light Heavyweight Title Final: Richard Morton vs. Flyin’ Brian
*Van Hammer vs. Doug Somers
*Oz vs. Bill Kazmaier
*WCW Television Title: Steve Austin (champion) vs. Dustin Rhodes
*Jimmy Garvin vs. Johnny B. Badd
*Bobby Eaton vs. Terrence Taylor
*P.N. News & Big Josh vs. The Creatures
*Chamber of Horrors Match: Sting, The Steiner Brothers & El Gigante vs. Abdullah the Butcher, Cactus Jack, Big Van Vader & The Diamond Studd

Bruce from Vancouver,

What can be said about the Chamber of Horrors? It combines the workrate of the sloppiest battle royales with the realism of a cinematic Fiend match, and the visibility and camera work of a Punjabi Prison match. Good on Abdullah for selling the lasting effects of electrocution by immediately going after the orderlies, by the way.

The rest of the card is also pretty corny from a modern perspective, with the exception of the rather enjoyable Rhodes/Austin match and a passable main event. But, as is usually the case with WCW cards from this period, the crowd is just eating it all up. Well, except for the Oz/Kazmaier dud.

In case it hasn’t yet been discussed, how would you guys evaluate the decision to have Ricky Morton turn on Robert Gibson? I know WCW released both of them shortly after their feud. It’s weird in retrospect to think of such an enduring team being split up, but Morton was wearing a York Foundation shirt on Dynamite a few weeks back, so I guess he must have some good memories.

1 Like

Brandon from Oshawa

I can never hate on a different concept. Was the Chamber of Horrors great? No. But it was something unique for the time and I found it enjoyable. As for the rest of the show, as much as I love WCW, it will make for a better review from you guys, than an actual good show.

My one standout moment was hearing Terrence Taylors nickname, “The Computerized Man of the 1990’s.” If there was a Computerized Man of the 2020’s in the wrestling business, who do you think it is?

How could you guys forget the Chamber of Horrors?? Of course you’ve reviewed this show before. Way back in October 2012. I wonder if today, as then:

• You will discuss a mysterious charge on John’s credit card bill from an adult entertainment website.

• You will discuss a viral video of an infamous Halloween-weekend fight at a Vietnamese restaurant in Toronto’s Chinatown

• Wai will incorrectly identify PN News’s style as “old school” hip hop, when he is, in fact, more exemplary of the new school or golden age of hip hop (1983-1989-ish)

• Wai will correctly point out that Big Josh’s finisher really should be termed “Southern Exposure”, followed by a conversation about the old Canadian television program Northern Exposure.

• You will discuss Atlanta’s World Series run and whether or not Tennesseans support the Braves.

• Firebreaker Chip will repeat as the Putski Winner or if Van Hammer will avenge his narrow loss via Rock-Paper-Scissors.

Question: We all know this era of WCW was characterized by a Ric Flair-shaped void, but do you know how much Flair’s departure hurt the promotion financially? Was business way down in '91 compared to '90? If I recall correctly, it’s not like the WWF’s business increased significantly with Flair on their roster, even if the match quality of the main events did.

Yo baby, yo baby, yo!

1 Like

The Chamber is in the ‘so bad it’s good’ category. The botched ending where Cactus has to wait so long that it appears that he electrocuted Abby on purpose and not by mistake, and Abby shoot kicking the crew member at the end are the highlights. Then its downhill from there!