Rewind-A-Wai #116 will cover WCW Starrcade 1995 featuring a Best-of-Seven series between WCW and NJPW.

This was selected by Espresso Executive Producer @Kishan.

WCW Starrcade 1995 is available on the WWE Network (account required).

This show will be released for all POST Wrestling Café members on Tuesday, September 20th.

Leave us your feedback and any questions related to this event and era for WCW.

WCW Starrcade
Wednesday, December 27, 1995
Nashville, TN at Municipal Auditorium
*WCW World Heavyweight Title: Randy Savage (c) vs. Winner of Triangle Match
*Ric Flair vs. Lex Luger vs. Sting
*Sting vs. Kensuke Sasaki
*Randy Savage vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan
*Eddy Guerrero vs. Shinjiro Otani
*Johnny B. Badd vs. Masa Saito
*Lex Luger vs. Masahiro Chono
*Alex Wright vs. Koji Kanemoto
*Chris Benoit vs. Jushin Thunder Liger

Check out the Rewind-A-Wai archives for all patrons.

Brandon from Oshawa

If I was an Espresso Executive Producer, this is the show I would have chosen. Up until AEW, this show has always been my all tie favorite PPV and it still might be. As a 9 year old at the time, I was always intrigued by the Japanese wrestlers, with Muta and Chono being 2 of my all time favorites. So this was such a cool concept to see these 2 companies going at it in a Best of 7.

I also grew up a huge Ric Flair fan and I can remember going crazy when he won the triple threat match and then went on to win the WCW Title. It was truly one of my first mark out moments as a kid.

If you havent done so already, can you maybe talk about how this event came to be and the Best of 7 concept. It was something I would have loved to have seen at Forbidden Door, but they didnt go that route. Do you think if AEW and WWE ever have a crossover event, will it be more like this or more like Forbidden Door?

Well, this wasn’t Forbidden Door in terms of match quality, but the World Cup concept was clearly over with the crowd, to the point that Benoit and even Alex Wright were apparently honorary Americans for the night. I can normally enjoy Heenan’s shtick on commentary, but two hours of him and Dusty making rickshaw jokes was excruciating. Guerrero/Otani was the best of the World Cup matches by a long shot, and it was nice to see that pairing be given the most time of the seven. The same can’t be said for the triangle match, though. I can respect the subtlety of the long-term Sting/Luger story WCW was working at the time, but that was a very plodding half hour.

A quick question: there was a lot of hand-wringing about how much AEW had or hadn’t done to introduce New Japan talent to US audiences before Forbidden Door. Do you know if there was similar discussion leading to this card, or was the fact that Liger, Chono, and Sasaki had already done WCW stints considered enough of an entryway for the other four New Japan wrestlers?

Six German Suplex calls with which to bewilder Dusty out of ten.