Rewind-A-Wai #104 will cover WrestleMania 27 from the Georgia Dome in Atlanta, Georgia featuring The Rock hosting the show.

This event was selected by Espresso Executive Producer @Mahmood_Al_Mardi.

The full event can be viewed on the WWE Network. (Account required)

Leave us your feedback and questions related to the event in the thread below.

The show will be released on Tuesday, February 22nd for all members of the POST Wrestling Café.

WrestleMania 27
Sunday, April 3, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia at Georgia Dome
*WWE Heavyweight Championship, No Disqualification: The Miz (c) vs. John Cena
*John Morrison, Trish Stratus & Snooki vs. Dolph Ziggler, Layla & Michelle McCool
*No Holds Barred: The Undertaker vs. Triple H
*Michael Cole vs. Jerry Lawler (Special Referee: Steve Austin)
*Randy Orton vs. CM Punk
*Ezekiel Jackson, Heath Slater, Wade Barrett & Justin Gabriel vs. Big Show, Kane, Kofi Kingston & Santino Marella
*Rey Mysterio vs. Cody Rhodes
*World Heavyweight Championship: Edge (c) vs. Alberto Del Rio

A few random thoughts - based on memory (as I doubt I’ll ever go back to rewatch this.)

• Triple H vs. Taker was a very fun brawl. Obviously not on the level of Taker’s previous two Mania matches, but definitely a highlight of the show. And basically right in the stretch of ho-hum Mania’s highlighted by awesome Taker matches.

• The main event entrances! The MIz’s / Nas pre-match video and entrance was something I remember absolutely loving. Probably a career highlight for him. An all time great entrance / promo video. Which was followed up by another great mash-up video with DMX into the / Gospel choir Cena entrance. A really great Mania big match feel set-up. Wish the match lived up.

• Unfortunately the rest of the card ranged from average (Edge / Del Rio, Cody / Mysterio, Punk / Orton), to TREMENDOUSLY AWFUL (Lawler vs. Cole).

• The main event really shone a light on all that was negative about WWE during this stretch of time - and something which would go on to be a bigger issue in the year’s to come. While Miz and Cena were the guy’s who would be there every week, it was all backdrop to The Rock, and an angle to set up a match a year later. (And continuing on that and following that set of dominos, entirely undercut The Summer of Punk to come, and the idea the company could get behind anybody beyond Cena as The Guy.)

• Overall, this show is one of those bottom of the barrel Mania’s that again, was highlighted by one match. I think a fair assessment of basically Mania’s 25 through 29. A few big stars, a very weak undercard filled with FCW call-ups, and no urgency to build for the future.

It’s crazy to realize this was 11 years ago, and so many of the roster who are still there today (Miz, Dolph, Orton, Mysterio, Edge, and to a lesser extent Kofi) all feel in the exact same roles they were all those years ago, today.

I will give credit to the major surprise in the build-up to this show, with the return of The Rock, as it felt truly unexpected. I seem to recall a major rumour around that time was that Justin Beiber was going to be coming in for the hosting gig / some other involvement. It was a major relief to many of us watching that it was not.

Looking forward to the review guys! Keep up the great work.

I remember this Mania very fondly. In fact, it sparked a resurgence in my fandom as The Rock returned on that Raw episode and cut one of the all time promos. I remember showing it to friends in college at the time and even they were getting Electrified. I had a few folks over to watch the PPV which I ordered in my college apartment. It wasn’t just the one or two friends I usually got together with, people wanted to see The Rock. Hunter and Taker.

However, they lost interest quickly and I remember being disappointed in WWE to not be able to hold attention. However, I’ll always remember this Main Event, Miz, who did very little, had the awesome bit on Raw as he dressed like the Rock. I do think this period elevated him to people like those guys at college who tuned in. the Nas video, and his Real World history made him feel bigger than WWE had presented him at the time.

1 Like