This Friday, it’s Rewind-A-Wai #30 and we are reviewing WWE King of the Ring 2002.

This event was chosen by Espresso Executive Producer @matthewwwinter.

We will be taking your feedback, questions, and memories from this show during the feedback section of the show.

WWE King of the Ring
Sunday, June 23rd, 2002
Columbus, Ohio at the Nationwide Arena
*The Undertaker vs. Triple H for the Undisputed title
*Hulk Hogan vs. Kurt Angle
*Ric Flair vs. Eddie Guerrero
*Trish Stratus vs. Molly Holly for the Women’s title
*The Hurricane vs. Jamie Noble for the Cruiserweight title
*Chris Jericho vs. Rob Van Dam in the KOTR semi-finals
*Brock Lesnar vs. Test in the KOTR semi-finals
*King of the Ring finals

Looking back at this time and I have to say it just feels like a weird era in WWE. It was post invasion and it felt like the company wasn’t completely sure who they were getting behind. They were throwing the Undisputed title around a lot, they just had Eddie & Chris return while having Austin walk out. This was the year that I started to lose interest in WWE (think every fan has a period of that at one time or another). I will say though, I enjoyed the building up of Brock and thought Hogan was adding a lot to the guys he worked at this time, it was probably the most giving he ever was in his career.

As someone that mostly preferred WCW during the Monday Night Wars and thought the Attitude Era was overrated in many ways, i must say that this period of WWE once the Invasion angle ended was actually one of my favourites.

There was incredible talent on the roster and the rise of Brock Lesnar was booked almost perfectly.

Never been much of a Hogan fan but thought his 2002 WWE run was good because while Hogan continued to politic, he knew that he had to work hard for a guy his age and put people over given the talent on the roster at the time.

My question is, what do you think Lesnar could’ve been if he had stayed with WWE beyond Wrestlemania 20, or do you think his UFC run was essential in making the wrestler he is today?

Thanks!

Charly from Maryland

I remember listening you guys review it on the Law I really enjoyed the review on it last time

RVD and Jericho pulled a really good opening match I remember people criticizing the match and Jericho himself on his website saying to anyone that didn’t like it “pompous jackoffs” and to stop watching wwe if they didn’t like it

Test and Brock did an okay job for a semi final

The cruiserweight championship match was a weird build but nothing special

Eddie and Ric Flair was a good match and damn how tan was Ric Flair and with white hair he could pull it off

The women’s title match was boring and I couldn’t stand Jerry Lawler’s commentary

Hulk hogan felt super popular and those you suck chants are funny to this day when I watched it I didn’t think Kurt would make Hogan tap

RVD and Brock was a good final not memorable like their vengeance match

And the main event was weird the promo package was good but the match wasn’t the undertaker and triple h would have better matches this one wasn’t seeing undertaker with a motorcycle and short hair was weird what did you think of his theme song it wasn’t bad but definitely not my favorite and having the rock interfere didn’t make me like the match even more I know it was to set up for next month triple threat match with Kurt angle at vengeance but other than that this isn’t a main event I’m looking back it and saying that was really good