On tonight’s edition of Rewind-A-Raw, John & Wai will be joined by WH Park to review both WWE Raw and New Year Dash.

If you have feedback, please post below. Try to keep brief as we try to keep this show at a reasonable length.

RATE TONIGHT’S WWE RAW

0 voters

RATE NEW YEAR DASH 2020

0 voters

Brandon from Oshawa

Best part of New Year Dash was the LIJ vs Chaos tag, as well as the Moxley/Suzuki stuff. I really want to give a spotlight to the commentary on all 3 nights. I was a little weary of a 4 person team, but they were awesome and had great chemistry. Chris and Gino really shined for me.

Raw was decent. I’m intrigued by Brock being in the Rumble and I think it opens up a lot of cool possibilities for showdowns in the match. I like the show long story of the 3rd man, but was disappointed in Big Show. I was expecting a heel turn.

With the big fist fight next week, have any of you ever been in one and what are the rules?

Andrew from Cape Breton

I’ll be honest. Raw was on in the background while I organized my living room, but after that was done, I saw Wai record WH on twitter and saw WH shake his head dismissively during the wedding recap. It also seems Rusev has a new gimmick. He’ll spit in the face of people who don’t want to be cool. Anyway, Raw was the usual fair tonight, but since WH is on, a few questions. Who do you think would fit well in New Japan on the current roster, and who from tonight would simply be a Chase Owens level jobber?

Nas from NYC

Why did the referee stop Andrade from hitting his finisher at first? That ending was so confusing. Ruined so much of the good stuff before that.

I love the idea of Brock in the Rumble. I’m salivating at the idea of Brock going face to face with Matt Riddle.

For someone who didn’t watch WK, Raw was pretty good tonight. However the 3rd member being Bigshow annoyed me.

Tyler from Orlando,

Haven’t seen New Year Dash yet, so only RAW review from me tonight. What was up with security tackling that guy in the ring after the AJ Styles match? Wasn’t it the priest for the Lana/Bobby marriage segment? I’m guessing Drew officially turned babyface tonight, I guess he needed something different but I still don’t think they will truly run with him. What the hell is this fist fight thing gonna be, I got my fill of fisting last year when the Shield farewell tour was going on.

Brian from New York

Opened the day hoping for an Ibushi or Sanada heel turn and ended the day praying for not another Big Show turn…so…at least we had a theme today.

Just on New Year’s Dash - I was impressed how quickly Bullet Club became so strong at the top of their group. Between Jay White and KENTA they have two of the strongest pure heels in the company to throw at Naito. WWE has had trouble capitalizing on the momentum of big crowning moments at Wrestlemanias recently (i.e. Bryan at WMXXX and Becky this past year) with suitably exciting programs. Gedo has effectively created two options that can get him through the Winter until the New Japan Cup.

Also loved how quickly they’ve given me more interest in Goto than I’ve ever had between the heated match with KENTA and with that great match with Shingo, EVIL, and Ishii. I’m very excited to see any combination of the 4 including more tag matches and perhaps 1 of the 2 teams actually entering the tag division. A more interesting Openweight division can only help in a company that has so many burgeoning singles stars who need something to do.

Thanks for all the great work this weekend. I’m glad you guys got to experience this in person. I myself am hoping to get to Dominion later this year and the strong Wrestle Kingdom doubleheader only got me more excited for the trip.

Nick from Lansing

I have a feeling I’m going to be in the minority, but for what it was I enjoyed Raw tonight. The first hour was a lot of fun, Rey and Andrade delivered even with a screwy finish and that tag title match was exciting. Glad the in ring skills of the Street Profits are being showcased, it’s a better use of them than overwritten backstage segments. They connect with a live crowd so well it’d be a waste to keep them backstage.

I can understand some people not thinking The Big Show was a worthy enough surprise to build up so long, but I liked seeing him fighting along side Samoa Joe, and Kevin Owens was delightful jumping behind him taunting AOP

Highlights of New Years Dash was the ceremony for Liger and the continuation of Suzuki and Moxley. When Liger stood in the middle of the ring you could feel the respect every single person in the building had for that man, it was heartwarming. And on the opposite end, my god will it be satisfying to watch those two scary mother fuckers tear each other apart

Thanks for all the exhaustive coverage this weekend!

WH, did you see the guy in the front row dressed as I think Jesse Ventura… possibly Macho Man? What do you think about people dressing up as characters and have you seen any that have blown you away at a live show?

I went to Raw tonight. This may be long. Sorry, but my wife’s sister bought us three adult tickets for Christmas - for myself, my wife (barely a fan), and my toddler. She loves chaos. From a parent’s view (and yes, we used the earphones for her):

• She was alert for Brock
  • She was attentive for Rey vs Almas
  • She legit started falling asleep during the ever-long rest hold during the 3-way, going in and out all the way until the Rusev angle
  • She was interested in the (possibly mistake?) security guard incident with the Pastor
  • SHE LOVED THE WEDDING ANGLE
  • She went back to an almost sleep state for the rest of the show.

We left at the announcement of Big Show. My only complaint is I was facing a clock on the hard cam wall which was in Eastern time, so not only did I see the wrong time, but the time weighed on me. As well, my wife, barely a fan, was mad the more interesting matches would be next week. It’s also hard having a job, a kid, and sitting through basically two movies live.

8/10 it was a great live experience but probably 5/10 if I were at home as I’d dipped in and out. As well, I love how the crowd live was energetic to keep me awake.

Bruce from Vancouver,

It was interesting to see how, despite some high profile losses at Wrestle Kingdom, Bullet Club felt like a freshly reinvigorated entity on NYD. The serious heat Kenta has is palpable, and I’m keen to see how it all plays out even if Shibata isn’t involved. Also, while I don’t tune into NYD shows specifically for top tier matches, boy-howdy that Chaos/LIJ tag was great.

Lara from Vancouver but currently in the Toudoukan Shop

Dash was an incredible night live, with a lot of surprising high work rate for what is supposed to be an angle focused show. Had incredible seats for Liger’s retirement, thrill of my life

After realizing that my negative reaction to KENTA ruining Naito’s celebration two nights in a row is entirely because I selfishly wanted to see the full LIJ roll call live in person, I cannot deny that it’s an incredibly effective build for Kenta/Naito. I want to see this match and see Naito win now more than ever. Plus the match is likely in Osaka so Naito and LIJ doing their full celebration there is perfect.

Finally I want to touch on one potentially lost detail on Naito’s path to the IWGP title. Just how perfect it was that the IC belt, a belt he once abused, threw around and threatened to outright destroy, ended up being his ticket to finally beating Okada at the Dome, in the main event, for the IWGP title. It wasn’t winning the G1, it wasn’t winning the briefcase from the G1 winner, it was winning the IC title, that finally allowed him reach his Destino.

Gedo literally played off everything that’s happened in the past 6 years and tied it all in: the IC belt, the fan vote, the stardust press, all of it. It all came together to allow Naito to finally have his moment. It is truly the greatest long term story in wrestling history.

1 Like