Where It All Begins…Again

On Tuesday’s edition of Rewind-A-Wai, it’s our special LISTENER’S CHOICE review and you have chosen WWF Ground Zero from Sept. 1997.

The full show is available on the WWE Network https://watch.wwe.com/episode/In-Your-House-Ground-Zero-11770

Wai Ting and I will reflect on our “inaugural review” with a fresh review of this show eleven years later.

Post your feedback & questions related to this event/era.

WWF GROUND ZERO
Sunday, Sept. 7, 1997
Louisville, Kentucky at the Louisville Gardens
*The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels
*Bret Hart vs. The Patriot for the WWF Championship
*The Godwinns vs. The Head Bangers vs. Owen Hart & British Bulldog vs. Legion of Doom for the vacant WWF Tag Titles
*El Torito vs. Max Mini
*Savio Vega vs. Faarooq vs. Crush
*Brian Christopher vs. Scott Putski
*Goldust vs. Brian Pillman

1 Like

Jesse from the 6

Will John & Wai ever review Breakdown '98? That show is your white whale.

First, thanks to Mr. Olsen for donating his pick to democracy.

[NOTE: If you guys yourselves have gone back and listened to your first review you might want to skip this part.]
You first reviewed this show 10.5 years ago (and have not reviewed it since). I wonder if on today’s review you will be inspired to, as you were then, discuss:

• The political geography of the United Arab Emirates.

• 9-11-year-olds in your studio who make you feel like old men (at age 25) because they don’t know what a VHS tape is. (Fun fact: those kids would now be 19-23-year-old adults now.)

• The Surf

• “Vineas” Godwin

Question: What was the deal with The Patriot? All I know is that he wrestled in All Japan, came to the Fed in '97, got hot-shotted into a title program, and then disappeared almost immediately. Seems strange. Was this always Vince’s plan for Del Wilkes? And did he wrestle as “The Patriot” in Japan?

On a serious note, going back through your archives, one will occasionally hear a joke or a term used that you guys wouldn’t say today, but nothing mean-spirited or hateful. While you’ve grown over the past decade, you’ve always been consistent in trying to be inclusive and you’ve never “punched down” to laugh at marginalized groups. Thank you for that.

“So, take a look!”

1 Like

Just heard you mention that the Undertaker found out that his brother passed away just before taping the WrestleMania Boneyard match.
It reminded me of this weird connection between the Undertaker & Bret Hart which I had begun to notice a number of years ago.
The Undertaker made his debut as “Kane the Undertaker” at a taping of on November 19, 1990. Seven years before the “Montreal Screwjob” edition of The Survivor Series (1997).
Undertaker then made his official on-camera debut as “The Undertaker” on November 22 1990 at the Survivor Series. On his opponents team is Bret Hart. Bret had just found out the day before HIS brother Dean had passed away.
According to wikipedia, as a child Dean had once accidentally started a fire in the Hart House.

Glen Jacobs had his first match as the Kane character (although he had been around on tv for over a month) on the very same card as the Montreal Screwjob, Survivor Series November 9th 1997