Gable Steveson now training full-time with WWE after undergoing heart procedure

Originally published at Gable Steveson now training full-time with WWE after undergoing heart procedure

He is at the Performance Center in Orlando as a full-time trainee.

It was in September 2021 that WWE formally announced their signing of Gable Steveson. The Olympic Wrestling gold medalist was last featured on WWE programming at WrestleMania 38 when he got physical with Chad Gable.

ESPN’s Mike Coppinger ran a story and noted that Steveson is now training full-time at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando, Florida. Last month, he underwent a procedure to treat Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. According to the Mayo Clinic, W.P.W. is an extra signaling pathway between the heart’s upper and lower chambers that causes a fast heartbeat. The episodes of fast heartbeats in W.P.W. are not life-threatening but can cause heart problems.

Steveson told ESPN that the issue was discovered before he went to Tokyo for the Olympics. He did not undergo the procedure until WWE’s medical staff advised him to. The company recommended him to the top cardiologists and that whole process delayed his start at the Performance Center.

We’re just excited to get this journey started, it’s been a long road to get to this point… I feel that I’m capable of being in that top spot and I feel that I’m capable of handling that position in the right way. I’m a competitor, I’m an entertainer. I can do things that a lot of other big guys can’t. I look forward to putting that on display and sooner or later, taking over that top spot and being the guy that people want to see.

WWE’s Chief Content Officer Paul ‘Triple H’ Levesque commented on the situation at hand and said he’s glad Steveson is healthy and training at the facility. He added that WWE takes pride in their medical staff which guided Gable throughout this process.

Steveson’s brother, Damon Kemp has become a fixture on the weekly NXT TV product. Kemp is scheduled to compete at NXT Halloween Havoc on October 22nd against Julius Creed in an Ambulance match.

This past May, the Minnesota Gophers wrestling coach did a media interview and stated that Gable was interested in returning to the team as he had one year of eligibility left although he graduated from university.