Game of Thrones*SPOILER ALERT*

Both sides were embarassimg tactiticians!

The entire attempt to even fight the dead in open field was embarrassing considering THEY CAN BE BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE! Like literally they coulda been down to their last solider, and all Night King had to do was show up and raise them all back up. Or at least the newly dead.

The idea that could have worked: dig up massive trenches so the army of the dead had to cross them and would go down into them before getting to the wall. Then repeatedly flame them with dragons while they are in a pit.

The dead could not be brought back if they were killed with dragon glass, fire, or valerian steel. The issue is your own casualties coming back, every loss on your side is a gain for the dead.

That said both sides were awful tactically, the dead were better other than the night king being a moron and going in while fighting was still happening. I understand time is a thing but the living should have had multiple flaming trenches, to funnel the dead into a small space that they hammered with trebuchets and kept the Dothraki back as a sweeper unit running down the dead that get across the trench.

That is what I meant. Fighting them in open field was atrocious. Jon and Dany are pretty horrible strategists. Tyrion didn’t help but he may not have known the dead could rise. This was the gaff and running home about the Crypts being so safe :roll_eyes:. The Living deserved the L and got saved out by gods: God of Light and Faceless Men. Maybe that was the point :thinking:

And I fully appreciate the trope of the Super Villain being so cocky to show his face or take the bait thinking he’s untouchable. If only we had a backstory to appreciate such arrogance.

Incredible film making. Bad story telling.

I agree with need to have more reason for the Night King to kill Bran. Why did he have to do it himself? Make it so that he gains the power of the three eyed raven if he turns him into a walker, or have Bran have the power to interfere with his control of the Wights within a certain range so the walkers need to be the ones to take him out

1 Like

So…I havent read the books, but I believe I’ve heard there isnt much, if any of the Night King at all up to this point. I dont know if this has been explained or not, but does anyone know if there could be a Night Queen? Its wishful thinking that this story will continue with only 3 episodes left and I doubt they’d debut a new character like that in such little time, but I think it would be cool if we get to the last episode and one group thinks they’ve won, but they havent really defeated the dead yet.

There is no mention of a “night king” thus far in the books if I recall (at least not the same type of nights king we know from the show). And I daresay you’re going to be disappointed. I think the dead are done for with only 3 episodes left.

I’ve not read all the books but i listen to podcasts of people who have. Yes, a Night Queen is mentioned in the books.

She’s mentioned in this animated short to accompany season 2 as well.

Dothraki are Danaerys loyal…Jon about to swerve her and stake his claim for the iron throne.

2 Likes

Interesting that they sent all the blacks and browns off to die before they remembered they had dragons…

On to things people care about though, The Night King looked like a waste of time. Everyone was expecting an interesting backstory, an interesting motivation but we got nothing but him being killed easily. And Arya should’ve died, to be honest she should’ve died last season instead of them killing the most interesting character in the show, Littlefinger.

The show overall isn’t as smart or as brave as it was before last season. It’s more of a basic action series.

3 Likes

I thought about that and i’ve seen it touched on elsewhere as well. It’s especially interesting when you remember the context. The Dothraki, in the entire history of their culture, had never left their continent - it was literally a significant aspect of their culture to not do so. Yet they did, all for Dany…and she got them essentially wiped off the planet for her cause.
The Unsullied, former slaves who are barely humanised due to the discipline and loyalty programmed into them, were essentially just used as fodder and their main purpose was to protect the seemingly more important Northerners. Those same Northerners which the show has made a point showing us how racist they are.

While it’s still been great by general entertainment standards, I agree on the lack of smartness in recent seasons too. It’s very clear where the book content ends.

1 Like

In the shows defense, the book characters made stupid decisions too. And these were adapted in the show. The red wedding happened because of Robb Starks mistakes. Jamie was captured because of his mistakes. Cersi was imprisoned by the High Sparrow because of her mistakes. Oberon was killed because of his mistakes.

The fact that the characters aren’t perfect, they make mistakes and there are consequences are what make it a rich story.

The Dothraki being wiped out seems to being talked about as a huge mistake. But I think in terms of medieval combat their actions were right. They are horse riders. They would be less effective staying on their horses outside of Winterfell. Against other normal armies (like the loot train attack last season), they are sent in on the front line.

The Dothraki dying also solves the issue of what to do with them after the war is over. Their way of life doesn’t go with peace in the Realm.

2 Likes

Neither does any character really. Except Tyrion. He just wants to drink and fck

The people of Westeros can live that way, it seems like that was the case during Robert’s rule for a while. The Dothraki are all about riding, raiding, raping etc. so I don’t see them settling down to build homes and farms etc.

“The fact that the characters aren’t perfect, they make mistakes and there are consequences are what make it a rich story.”

This is what I love so much about this show. Everything that happens means something.

This is what i mean by the dumbing down of the show, from one of the writers themselves:

It’s not just the irrational and out of character decision making either, it’s the lazy way they’re done too. From this episode, a few other examples:

• Sansa dramatically promising to keep a secret then spilling it a few minutes later like it’s nothing.
  • Everyone, including Tyrion of all people, still underestimating and not accepting that Cersei is an irredeemable monster despite her telling them so literally the entirety of the show.
  • Sansa’s thankfulness for being raped and held prisoner by multiple men to make her the woman she is today
2 Likes

I mean Sansa spilling the beans is totally in her character though. Her choice to Tyrion is questionable but she doesn’t like Dany, so she would want to push Jon. I also didn’t get her being thankful for being raped etc, just stating the fact that if she had been protected by the hound that she would still be a naive little girl. I also didn’t see them forgetting the fleet but believing the dragons would account for it.

I almost forgot…spot the coffee cup:

Maybe it’s not a case of a bad mistake and Starbucks is actually canon. Starbucks having a branch in Winterfell makes more sense than some of the logic on display.

2 Likes

Good episode. It was a weird feeling at first for things to “reset” after the Battle of Winterfell, but once I got over that, I was all in.

I really liked this episode. I wasn’t expecting Euron to be such a force in this episode, but taking down another dragon makes sense. Having 2 dragons going into the final battle, would have made it too unrealistic in my opinion. At least now, this makes the odds a little closer, if they can keep Drogon at bay. I was fully expecting Tyrion to be killed at the end. I wasnt a fan of Missandei, so glad she got it. Hopefully Grey Worm is one of the next to go.

This episode really made me feel for Dani. She begged Jon and he still told his family. I think this is going to push Dani to make the big heel turn either at the end of next weeks episode or in the finale. I see Cersei getting defeated next week and then Jon & Dani going into battle in the finale and maybe they both kill each other.

I’m hoping there is a big reveal for Bran still. He’s the most intriguing character to me right now.

1 Like