Gillberg opens up about his heart attacks, suffered multiple and didn't know

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2021/09/21/gillberg-opens-up-about-his-heart-attacks-suffered-multiple-and-didnt-know/

Duane Gill details his health scare from late 2020.

In November 2020, it was shared through Duane ‘Gillberg’ Gill’s social media pages that he suffered a heart attack. Gill opened up in detail about his heart attack, which he later discovered were heart attacks. He appeared on the MCW Cast and explained that he thought he was the healthiest he had ever been. When he first started noticing something off with his body, he went to the hospital and was diagnosed with acid indigestion.

Gill continued to work his non-wrestling job and would often find himself falling down or not being able to function due to the pain. He shared that while he was undergoing surgery, he woke up and the doctor let him know that he was suffering a massive heart attack in that moment.

I was actually, I thought in the best shape of my life. I had been working out , you know what I’m talking about and I was crying like a baby and finally, about three o’clock in the morning, my wife hears me out in the living room punching the floor because I’m trying to make my hand hurt worse than my chest. I couldn’t take it no more man. I was crying like a baby and she said, ‘What is wrong?’ I said, ‘I can’t take it no more. This is killing me’, little did I know and she said, ‘Come on, you’re going to the hospital.’ I said, ‘For what? Acid indigestion?’ And she said, ‘I don’t care what it is. You’re going back.’ She dropped me off, I walked in and the lady at the desk goes, ‘Oh, you’re back?’ I mean I had tears coming down. I said, ‘I can’t take it no more. I can’t take it. It’s too much’ and she said, ‘Well let’s give you EKG. I’ll just type in your name and everything will come right up’ and it all came up.

So I went right in and probably a minute-and-a-half after walking through the door, I was laying down getting an EKG. Girl turned on the machine, ran out. Came back with four other people, turned around and ran out. I’m like, ‘Okay, this ain’t good.’ Came back with a doctor and like six other people and the doctor looks at me and goes, ‘Mr. Gill, this is gonna be real fast.’ I said, ‘What’s gonna be –’ is going on?’ You know, as loud as I could and the doctor leaned over and got like this far from my face and she said, ‘Mr. Gill, can you see and hear me?’ I said, ‘Yes ma’am I can.’ She said, ‘I’m trying to save your life. You’re having a massive heart attack.’ I went, ‘Okay.’ Never said another word man.

The day after his surgery, Gill was told that had more time passed without action being taken, it would have been fatal. He learned that those moments of pain he felt leading up to his surgery were heart attacks and he was just not aware it was happening.

The next day when she . Oh my God it hurt man. It hurt like no tomorrow and yeah, they put two stents in.

Gill has not wrestled since February 2020, but he makes appearances at conventions and does signings.

If the quotes in this article are used, please credit the MCW Cast with an H/T to POST Wrestling for the transcriptions.