Gina Carano dropped by Lucasfilm after "abhorrent" comments

Originally published at Gina Carano dropped by Lucasfilm after "abhorrent" comments

Gina Carano has been dropped by Lucasfilm over a series of social media posts that resulted in a call for the studio to fire her.

On Tuesday, the following statement was posted on Carano’s Instagram and later removed:

Jews were beaten in the streets, not by Nazi soldiers but by their neighbors…even by children. Because history is edited, most people today don’t realize that to get to the point where Nazi soldiers could easily round up thousands of Jews, the government first made their own neighbors hate them simply for being Jews. How is that any different from hating someone for their political views.

This was met with an online backlash and people calling for Carano’s removal from the popular Disney+ series “The Mandalorian” where she plays the role of Cara Dune.

On Wednesday night, Lucasfilm issued the following statement confirming her departure:

Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.

It has been reported by Deadline that the former fighter and actress has also been dropped by United Talent Agency.

Carano has been criticized over the past months over social media postings that criticized mask-wearing during the pandemic, calling the U.S. election results into question, and making light of gender pronouns.

The news occurs on the fourteenth anniversary of one of the most important fights in women’s MMA history. On February 10, 2007, Carano fought Julie Kedzie on Elite XC’s debut card on Showtime and was the first women’s fight to air on a national network. While it wasn’t the main event, their fight is the legacy of that show and led to Carano becoming a superstar in the sport for Elite XC and later, Strikeforce.

Carano last fought in August 2009 losing to Cris “Cyborg” Justino in a massive fight for Strikeforce at the SAP Center in San Jose, California.

3 Likes

Well she was daring them to do it. They finally did.

Conservative Celebrities still have their head buried in the sand. Good thing most of them are has beens like Scott Biao, Kevin Sorbo, Dean Cain, and that Calvin Klein model who called Obama a Muslim.

She was one that actually still had a strong career going. Oh well they never learn.

A 10-8 round against the consequences of her actions. She kept tempting fate with her dumbass comments, and now she’s lost the biggest acting gig of her career.

Oh yeah? Stating historical facts to show a point (those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it) is now deemed dumbass? Unlike the perfectly sane and pc comments of, let’s say Krystina Arielle, who works for the same company?

You know what’s scary in this firing? The thing that it proved that she was 100% spot on with the comment that got her cancelled.

Thus said: #CancelDisneyPlus :slight_smile:

These, partci, are dumbass comments. Throwing in comparisons between Nazi Germany and today was the last straw for them.

Now excuse me as I continue to watch New Japan, which I have installed on a Fire stick alongside Disney+ and other services.

4 Likes

There is a saying about music: You listen but you don’t hear.

Have you followed all of these? Cause I did. And what I saw was that the far left there had twisted her words time and time again to prove their point, not what she was actually saying. Something that you just did.

Right because Jews in Germany.

• Stood against black lives mattering

• suppressed voters during election

• locked up immigrant kids at the German Border

• Tried to invade the German Capitol building to try and execute elected officials but killed Gestapo instead all because they lost a fair election.

This all happened factually according to history professor Ms Carano.

Nope it proved that whoever you work for has every right to disagree with your opinions and dissolve their association with you if you continue to cause problems with your opinions.

For example I’m required to wear a uniform at my job. Now if I started coming to work in whatever the hell I feel like and cause problems at the company. Well guess what I won’t have a job anymore. Thats just life kid get over it.

Now excuse me I’m going to go watch Hamilton on Disney+ for the 100th time. Bye bye.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone here is particularly interested in your far right ramblings that you’ve copy and pasted off facebook patrci. If you want to defend anti Semitism, transphobia and covid conspiracy theories among other abhorrent things go find somewhere to do it where people actually care about you. Admittedly it will probably be tough to find anyone in the world who cares about you. Go try start a culture war at the bottom of a well or something

6 Likes

“You listen but you don’t hear.”

Or you can’t hear? Or you don’t want to hear, because it’s against your narrative?

Having a dress code at work has absolutely nothing to do with you being fired cause you have different political or whatever opinion from your boss, who takes your words out of context, with zero nuance and spinning them the way it suits them best.

I have absolutely no power to tell you what to watch or not - it’s entirely your choice. I’ve made mine and it is to not support a company that can fire someone for reading a text out of context, but leaving at work someone else who’s calling an entire ethnic racist or the other one, who called half (your!) country Nazis, for voting for the “wrong” presidential candidate. The same company that was filming a movie and had bend the knee to a country that is putting people in concentration camps in this day and age and also shrink a particular character in the promotional poster for that same country, cause they may find it “offensive” or something to the regime here.

For the record: I’m not right nor left (obviously). I just look at common sense and it seems to me a good chunk of the world has absolutely lost it lately.

@Eric You are speaking the exact far-left language that is going crazy censoring and cancelling people right now. I’d suggest you go learn from history what happens when the pendulum swings too far in one direction or the other. You go the path of Nazism, Fascism, Bolshevism, Communism and whatever else oppressive regime you can think of. This is exactly what Gina was saying and the scariest thing is: she was proven right in no time.

So just to be crystal clear…
You’re agreeing with the sentiment that Trump supporters / Q-Anon believers / and other “very fine people”, who are facing backlash for their support / beliefs - are facing the same persecution that Jewish people went through in Nazi Germany?

5 Likes

She was doing well with the comments until the last sentence…

I’m against writing someone completely off any chance you get and “cancel culture” is an issue but not seeing the difference between extreme bigotry and disagreement over political views is pretty dumb.

1 Like

People sharing every opinion they have on social media, I will never understand.

5 Likes

FFS dude, you are taking this literally-literally. The world is not black and white - read the nuance.

Are you agreeing that every person that supports Trump, Q-Anon or whatever should be persecuted? Cause from where I live I can see that this is exactly what is going on right now - a massive witch-hunt. You may not believe it (just like you don’t believe that there was rigging of the last election) cause you’ve been raised in a different system, but I’ve seen it here where I am and now I see it there where you are. And it’s not funny. It’s worrisome.

I would just suggest to you that this is a wrestling message board and you can calm down. No need to get so worked up.

5 Likes

Even if we were to apply her comparison to what goes on now, ignoring how extreme it is, it still doesn’t make sense. People that fan the flames of bigotry now are the people that were victims of the flames of bigotry in the past? What?

Not saying she has extreme views like a Nazi but in this extreme comparison that’s the team she falls on.

If she wants to stand up for conservatives and say it’s unfair to brand them all as dumb racists then that’s totally fair but maybe she should have found a better way to do it.

3 Likes

I am, actually, perfectly calm. :slight_smile:

But I will suggest you to watch for people calling other people what they are not, just because they have a different view point, as well.

Good riddance. She should have known better. Instead she wasted her time in bitter Twitter arguments coming off as an internet troll.

She was supposed to be the star of a New Republic show. You don’t get to headline a piece of a multi-billion dollar franchise mostly targeted to kids and families and behave the way she does online.

If she wants to spend her time arguing online and promoting conspiracy theories she should go into politics. Or be in WWE. Or go back to UFC. There are plenty of places that will welcome her and all the negative attention she brings.

2 Likes

This seems pretty cut and dry? Gina valued her right to free expression more than she valued her job. Lucasfilm and UTA saw that what she valued didn’t match their values as organizations and moved on. She’s still on Instagram and Twitter, she still has a public platform to continue saying what she wants. That doesn’t scream censored, or persecuted, or cancelled to me.

2 Likes

If you have a problem with people calling you names, there is a report button you can use. I’m not here to babysit every topic you might feel oppressed in.

5 Likes

Said perfectly. If she wants to make the point that conservatives should not all be painted with the same brush this was a completely idiotic way to do it.

1 Like