Gina Carano dropped by Lucasfilm after "abhorrent" comments

This Republican persecution complex is just so stupid. And unfounded.

4 Likes

6 Likes

Rush Limbaugh, Alex Jones, Hannity, Anne Coulter and the like, their business model is based on anger and outage. They have to constantly tell you who is going to destroy your way of life.

1 Like

It was definitely an over the top comparison but not sure if comparing certain events in history is offensive when most people do refer to history to make comparison points. Disagreeing with her comparison is fine but how is it offensive? She wasn’t supporting nazis or anything close to it.

On masks ; Last year WHO put out a memo stating that people should only wear masks if they’re sick and had some experts say masks aren’t effective. Which was a dumb thing to do. People completely mistrust the institutions because of these things.

So, did Gina do anything that was fireable? I don’t think so. I was listening to the podcast and John only stated she said something horrible. I thought she was supporting nazis which isn’t the case here. The comparison was hyberbolelic. I was confused listening to the podcast.

1 Like

She got fired after bunch of people organised #firegina? I’ve noticed other actors making political statements as well. How’s it cut and dry when having a different opinion gets you fired?

Let’s say I have view that MMA should be banned and that its human cockfighting. So now mma fans are mad and campaign to get me fired from my work… My employer doesn’t want to deal withit fires me. Now, should i be fired for this opinion? Are we only going to work with people with correct political opinions? Differences of opinions are fine. You losing a job for having a different opinion is crazy to me.

1 Like

I think with the new policy on Disney+ it is clear that they are all about political correctness and erasing their own past. Either you are on board with that or with American higher and fire culture you are out. Here in Germany it would not be possible to fire someone because of their political views.

One is fired and the other one just got a new leading role on an HBO show. Funny how these things work.

1 Like

Maybe just don’t trivialize something like the Holocaust by comparing it with political discourse of today. Not even remotely comparable, anyone who would try has serious brain damage

2 Likes

With all due respect, Partci…If your “political viewpoint” is one that wishes to promote racism, sexism, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc…Your political viewpoint is trash, and you deserve to be called out for it.

There are Republicans/Conservatives that I actually enjoy listening to (Michael Steele, Adam Kinzinger, SE Cupp, etc.), because they have a different political opinion…But can express a difference of opinion without being racist/homophobic and without supporting conspiracy theories.

We can have debates about infrastructure, or military spending…But there’s certain things that are beyond debate at this point. I’m here for bipartisanship, but when some members of a party don’t believe that Black lives matter, or don’t believe in equal rights, or feel like being respectful to others is an infringement on their 1st amendment rights…You can’t enter into good faith negotiations with folks who don’t come in good faith.

*Consequences Culture.

Some of the criticism of folks is a bit much…But more often than not, it’s people getting called out now for stuff they were wrongly able to get away with in the past (We see you, Joss…)

I was a big fan of GC’s (so much do in fact, that a few years back she was on my short-list of who should play Wonder Woman)…But she did this to herself. Part of the issue with Trumpism (which is different than conservatism/boilerplate Republican values) is that Trump can get away with this stuff…Everyone else, will ultimately have to reckon with the consequences of their actions.

If afterJan 6th, I got on “The Rocky Maivia Picture Show” and had a 10-minute tirade about “white people are the worst”, and then double-down with some good old fashioned antisemitism, the listeners would have every right to ask for me to be off of the network. And if I persisted w/o any apology or remorse or growth, John & Wai would have every right to cancel the show. That’s not me being persecuted for having a different opinion, that’s me experiencing the consequences of my actions.

Gina (and anyone who feels like her) has all the freedom in the world to express her viewpoints…But she’s not free from the consequences of her words. Even if she truly believes what she’s saying (and not just hopping on the Trump Train to appeal to a different demographic), the fact that she chose to keep going & mess up her bread, speaks to an extreme lack of awareness on her part.

:100:

8 Likes

Just by stating something is racist, sexist, homophobic doesn’t make it that. If someone does have those views, then of course they should be called out for it. But what’s happening is people who different view points are branded as such. If people don’t want to join a movement doesn’t make them racist. Howeveryyou want to brand them by not supporting a particular movement that you like doesn’t make them racist.

It’s not "consequences culture " it’s getting fired for having different opinions than yours. When peoplehhave campaigns to get people fired for having different views is crazy.

I’d suggest to you that for the most part there’s no correct opinion to have. You are assuming all your views are progressive and the correct view that everyone should hold on to. Should racists, sexists and homophobic people have consequences for their actions 100% but that’s not what’s happened here. Labelling people willy nilly as racists or homophobic or anti semitism when that’s not the case is ridiculous. Not sure if people are dishonest or just willfully ignoring it just so their political views can be shone upon.

There’s no good faith going on in this case. I looked onto this because i was confused by John’s news on RAD. Her getting fired is ridiculous.

1 Like

Many people use history to compare present events. It’s common and happens always. Hyperbolic comparison is common and is done by people with any political views.

1 Like

Far too many people arguing in favour of what shev said are also (conviently) leaving out the fact that this was not the first time this exact thing happened with her. It was the 4th time she tweeted something that Disney had a problem with. After her co-workers vouched for her, she continued to do exactly what she was told not to do. Kevin Feige stuck his neck out for her. Pedro Pascal stuck his neck out for her. And this is how she repaid them.

2 Likes

Regarding the wording of LucasFilm’s statement. She wasn’t fired because of what she posted on Feb 10th. LucasFilm just made it public knowledge that she was not curently employed. They gave up on her before this week.

The Hollywood Reporter: “According to sources, Lucasfilm planned to unveil Carano as the star of her own Disney+ series during a [December investors presentation] but scrapped those plans following her November tweets,”

We found out today. She wasn’t fired today. LucasFilm anticipated this and put Cara Dune on ice. On Feb 9th there were no plans for her in the future. She wasn’t fired on Feb 10th. Jon Favreau isn’t re-writing scripts. They possibly could have welcomed her back (similar to James Gunn,) but its unlikely now. And for comparison, here is the wording of James Gunn’s termination who was contracted for GotG 3.

“The offensive attitudes and statements discovered on James’ Twitter feed are indefensible and inconsistent with our studio’s values, and we have severed our business relationship with him” -Alan Horn

“Gina Carano is not currently employed by Lucasfilm and there are no plans for her to be in the future. Nevertheless, her social media posts denigrating people based on their cultural and religious identities are abhorrent and unacceptable.” -LucasFilm spokesperson

I agree with this, but it is absolutely not the case with what she said/quoted - namely the meaning behind it about separating people into groups and what the consequences of it brings historically. And she was proven right about it immediately.

She gave an extreme example, yes, but it is one that people are best familiar with (she could easily go with Stalin). It is unfortunate that because of political believes people jump into conclusions before they actually rationalize the meaning of what is written.

And again I ask why Pedro was not punished, when his tweets comparing Trump supporters to Nazis (this is approximately half of your country right now) are WAY more offensive than hers ever were.

And also there’s Krystina Arielle…

BTW there are some news out there that someone pushed her to be fired right before the earnings call from yesterday. And it was a HOT topic among the investors.

Someone comparing their “victimization” in getting crap online and losing their job, to the Nazis systematic extermination is at the least contraversial and to many people offensive.

We can debate Disney’s “values” all day, they are a global conglomerate, but they didn’t want Gina working for them anymore, and now she’s not.

3 Likes

Sadly it is the case with what she said. Your meme above leaves out her other posts. Further posting about people hating others for their “political beliefs” would be true if those beliefs were something like “should marijuana be legal.” Not really when they amount to “certain groups should be treated as a lesser class of humans.”

Part of it is also a matter of when these things occur. People pushing the “rigged election” don’t come across well when pushing that narrative led to violence in the capitol building.

1 Like

And if you’ve watched/heard the impeachment trial. The rioters were 58 steps away from Pence and the Senators. that no one else got killed is pure dumb luck.

1. As stated by posters other than me, she didn’t get fired due to a Twitter campaign. Her PR firm dropped her over a month ago, before this statement even happened. You’re not forced to work with anyone you don’t want to, and that goes both ways.
  2. What I find really irritating about the “fired for having a different opinion” line is that it strips the so called fired person from any agency. If you’re a public figure who is making statements that have previously been “misinterpreted”, maybe put a little bit more time into being eloquent. Maybe decide to hold back from sharing this opinion, even if you think it’s correct because it may cause more problems then it will solve. Again, Gina has agency here. She made the choice to hit post on this and other statements. That’s why I wrote earlier, she valued her right to express herself more than she valued her job. And since she’s still on Instagram and Facebook, she can continue doing the thing that’s most important to her.
4 Likes

And she’s already been co-opted as a martyr:

Maybe you are right. But how will you explain the hypocrisy of Disney to fire her, and not the other people for the same (and worse) reasons?

Yes, by the way - she already has a new project. People with sources are saying: expect more unexpected developments and news.