Grilling JR

Has anyone listened to Grilling Jr, the reformatted Jim Ross podcast? They have one episode out with JR discussing leaving wcw for wwf.

I think Jim is one of the greatest storytellers in wrestling. Very interesting and honest.

I fell off his podcast because I don’t think hes a good interviewer, especially with young talent. He talks over them and gives them advice instead of just listening and asking follow up questions. I miss his weekly take on the product but Ross is a much better subject than interviewer. Conrad’s great as usual.

I loved him talking about commentary as his lifelong passion. A legend!

2 Likes

I agree with your assessment.
Early on I listened to his Podcast and really lost interest quick.

The new format with Conrad hosting is a wise move. Listened to the first episode, and was really good.

I don’t think I’ve ever been a fan of “Good Ol’ JR”, but I am a fan of Jim Ross in this format.

1 Like

Conrad does a very good job guiding these shows and getting the most out of some strong personalities.

2 Likes

Will check it out.

I hated his podcast as he’s horrible as an interviewer. But might be different with Conrad at the helm

1 Like

It is WAY better with Conrad. I think he helps keep JR on track a bit more and keeps the story more focused.

That being said, the bitterness and grumpy old man-ness of JR is really grating for a near 3 hour podcast. Great stories though, and worth listening to.

2 Likes

I listened to the first one, and it wasn’t bad. I think it will take them a few episodes to get into a rhythm. My favorite Conrad podcast is still What Happened When with Tony Schiavone.

problem with all of Conrads pod cast is they are too long. Break them up into 2 parters. I know it makes no since but I would listen to two different podcasts at 1 to 1-1/2 hours a week then one of 2-3 hours

There was a time when the Prichard show was going super long, where each episode would be 4 hours. It is difficult to keep up with all of Conrad’s podcasts. WHW with Tony Schiavone sometimes is only an hour and a half if they do an old Crockett TV. The Prichard show has also been a little more condensed lately.

Why not just stop it half-way, and finish it at another time?

Just found out about this (from this thread) and will give it a listen. For a guy like JR, I think I’ll prefer the Conrad formula of “pick a topic and go through the details with somebody who was there”.

And this may sound stupid, but I couldn’t stand JR’s ad breaks. And as someone who listens to podcasts mainly while driving, this was a big deal. If I never have to hear him do another Stu Hart or Gordon Solie impression, I’m in.

3 Likes

Good question. I am sure its more mental then anything. I just look at the time and think I dont have the time to commit to that long a pod cast but hey I can listen to two others that are equal in time to it.

1 Like

This true

Shari’s berries.

Another winner from Conrad! This has taken the place of Something to Wrestle With as I believe you’re only going to get “WWE speak” from Bruce now that he works for them

1 Like

The Ross report was an old man mumbling,this so far has been great.

2 Likes

Anyone listen to the latest episode on Capital Combat '90? It was an interesting episode and felt JR reverted a little back to his preachy old school, “Wrestlers these days need to learn how to sell” ways. I will give JR credit in the fact that he is better than Bruce Prichard at admitting fault and being critical of himself and the companies he worked for.

1 Like

I really liked his barbecue sauce. They used to sell it in the local grocery store, then one day they were all marked for clearance and disappeared.

1 Like