Hana Kimura passes away at age 22

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/05/23/hana-kimura-passes-away-at-age-22/

It has been reported by Stardom (‘World Wonder Ring Stardom’) that Hana Kimura has passed away at the age of 22.

The news comes hours after several disturbing posts from the performer that included graphic images of self-harm, leading many to concern for her well-being. The posts were later deleted and there had been no update on her until Stardom announced her passing.

Stardom put out a statement in Japanese, which was translated by Reddit user hybrid3415:

Regarding the death of Hana Kimura

Our Hana Kimura passed away today on May 23.

We apologize for the sudden concern and sorrow for our fans and all concerned.

Regarding the details, there are some parts that we have not yet grasped, so we will continue to cooperate with the investigation between the parties concerned.

We pray deeply for Hana Kimura’s life.

We will discuss the future with her relatives.

In addition, we will also strive to ensure the mental wellbeing of all our roster.

Kimura had been part of the Netflix reality series ‘Terrace House’ and had been subjected to online harassment stemming from her portrayal on the show following a series of events, including a dispute with another cast member over an incident involving one of her wrestling costumes being ruined.

She had been wrestling since 2016 and became one of the promotion’s key stars. On January 4th this year, she teamed with Giulia losing to Mayu Iwatani & Arisa Hoshiki in a dark match at Wrestle Kingdom 14. It was the first women’s match at the Tokyo Dome since October 2002.

Her career began at Wrestle-1 where she trained and joined Stardom early in her career. This included matches alongside her mother Kyoko, who retired in 2017 and had a standout career of her own.

Along with Kagetsu, the mother and daughter team won the Artist of Stardom Championship in October 2016 from Io Shirai, Kairi Hojo (Kairi Sane in WWE) & Mayu Iwatani.

Kimura won the same titles with Jungle Kyona and Konami in May 2019 as part of the Tokyo Cyber Squad group, which Kimura was the leader of.

Kimura and Kagetsu became the Goddess of Stardom champions in June 2017 defeating Hiroyo Matsumoto & Jungle Kyona, holding the titles for almost one year until they were defeated by Mayu Iwatani & Saki Kashima.

In 2019, Kimura won Stardom’s annual 5-Star Grand Prix defeating Konami in the final. This came in the same year that she focused full-time on Stardom.

Kimura was added to the cast of ‘Terrace House’ last September. It was a big break for her as one of Stardom’s top stars receiving a role in the unscripted reality series.

Kimura last wrestled in the Cinderella tournament back in March wrestling Mayu Iwatani to a draw in the opening round.

This is a tragic story involving a woman that has died at a far too young age at 22. There are few details available right now and we will continue to monitor and cover this story in the days to come.

Our condolences to the family and friends of Hana Kimura.

3 Likes

God this is devastating. She was so young and so talented. She surely would’ve been in the US within 2 years if she’d chosen to.

I think part of the reason it’s so devastating is that deaths like this - if we assume that 2 + 2 = 4 - kind of challenge us as a society. Cyber bullying and abuse, mental health and suicide are all issues that we as global and local societies don’t deal with very well. The cesspool of social media and how it affects people who were never taught to deal with it is also a really common societal issue. I wonder if that’s not particularly true at the moment in isolation, where social media might be the only connection we have.

2 Likes

May 23rd has been a tragedy since the Owen Hart incident. It’s a calamity now that as the following years pass, two individuals will be remembered and mourned this day in the pro wrestling industry.

RIP

I like that a lot of people are saying “be careful what you say to someone, you don’t know what they’re going through”. No one means it though. They weren’t involved in tearing this person down so they can see that overwhelming someone with abuse is wrong but when they want to get involved in tearing someone down with a lot of other people, they will. Especially if it’s trending and seen as a good thing to take that person down as part of an angry mob.

You do know that most people don’t harass others online or tear them down right?

4 Likes

Don’t know what world you’re living in but cancel culture and backlash over incidents that people on twitter don’t like is very normal.

It’s also weird that this is being presented as people randomly trolling and harassing her rather than the regular backlash that people on twitter provide in reaction to incidents they don’t like. Guessing people just don’t know why she was getting hate. Angry mobs that have no sense of perspective will continue to be a thing on social media.

I live in the world where vocal minorities to constitute that majority. Your initial comment implies that people saying be careful what you say don’t mean it because those same people all trash people online. This is false. I’m sure there is some overlap but it isn’t as big a thing as you seem to believe.

Its probably exacerbated by the lock down. Social media is one of the few ways to communicate safely, so to be bombarded with that…
I hope the responsible parties are haunted by this. A real person died because of a tv show.

2 Likes

This is why I don’t let negative opinions sway me.

I am not a wrestling star nor am I a movie god, but still, batshit like this can affect the average human being. Sometimes, the last place to expect intelligent conversation is the Internet. It’s all full of comments like “you’re stupid” and “you’re stupid too.”

Quit while you’re ahead. if you sense bullshit comments like those,on Facebook or Twitter, just delete the fuck out of them. My friend did, and he’s working in a sinecure job. This job requires that he delete his social media account. I won’t say what his job is, but he was chased by naysayers of his lifestyle and blackmailers.

It’s happening over here too, on this beloved forum. I don’t delete my account, but when I see a negative comment, I don’t bother reading it, I just skip it and read another comment.

You should never ever let negative comments influence your judgement. You don’t owe these people anything and you don’t especially have to live life based on their approval, so fuck them and all.

That’s my piece,but if you’re going to make stupid comments, go ahead. I just won’t be reading them.

Hana Kimura, we hardly knew ya and that’s sad. Rest in peace.

1 Like

This is gutting news. I was not aware of Hana Kimura prior, as I’ve really not been following much wrestling in recent years. But, hearing the details was just utterly devastating. For any 22 year old to go through that kind of depression to be piled upon by online harassment, I can’t even imagine.

I’m 24 and suffer from severe depression and anxiety. I had to outright get rid of all my social media because it was such a toxic part of my life. There were arguments, unnecessary conflict and just so much negativity. Nowadays I just log on to see what’s trending without a profile to just see news headlines. And even then I get depressed. But, like John and Wai have noted, removing social media entirely in 2020 with a younger generation is not easy. I felt lonely and then turned to Reddit, to have some interaction and remain anonymous. And it was just about 100x more toxic. Even if you’re not involved there’s threads upon threads of nonsensical arguments and unnecessary bullying over things as trivial as an opinion on a wrestling show.

This all goes without mentioning the state of the world we’re in. Even those who don’t suffer from mental illness are having a hard time. This isn’t easy for anyone as is, even if you can work and even if you can financially support yourself. Not to again bring it back to me, but my situation has been awful. Being officially fired, running out of savings, and being thousands of miles from friends and family, I’m hurting severely. So, I went online to escape in things I enjoy, and one shitty comment or one shitty interaction with someone can throw me off the rails entirely. A lot of people are hanging by just a single thread. And it’s the smallest things that people may not even think are a big deal that can make all the difference. I just had a rude neighbor interaction today on my walk and it ruined my entire day, as it was in conjunction with everything else going wrong. And even before then I’ve battled severely bad thoughts I haven’t had in nearly ten years

To circle back to Hana Kimura, it’s clear she had severe mental health issues that were amplified by online harassment, especially as a 22 year old woman. I just can’t imagine it. I can honestly say that with all the horrible things going on in my life, I personally don’t think I could last long if I woke up, checked my phone and saw hundreds of messages telling me I suck or should die or something of that matter due to a fabricated reality tv show. The strength to battle those issues with yourself is one thing, but to then feel like everyone online is reaffirming the darkness you battle is another thing. She probably felt those people online were the final
push. The final confirmation that let the self doubt take over. It’s a truly horrible feeling, and is further amplified being someone in a high profile position.

I only even posted this here because this is a rare place where every little word isn’t criticized with negativity - props to the guys for cultivating such an environment. But, my overall point is people need to be nicer to one another. Don’t be an ass to your neighbor or to the person who wrote someone you disagree with online, especially right now. People even in Kimura’s standing have feelings and thoughts like some of us. No amount of fame, finances or any other disparity protects anyone from their mental demons. Just like you or I, these people can snap and be done - and twitter or Reddit can be that final nudge off the bridge.

Please be nice to people. It’s not hard to do. You don’t know what others are going through. You could be the final push into ending a life. I hope we can begin to start a dialogue about mental health awareness and how important it is that we go out of our way to not saying anything if we have nothing nice to say

RIP Hana Kimura.

5 Likes

In light of how far cancel culture can push its target and how wrestling fans have apparently come to the realisation that endlessly harassing someone along with the crowd (even when you disagree with what they did) can lead to something the target can’t come back from, I wonder how people will react the next time a Lars Sullivan or Tessa Blanchard situation pops up. Do you actually think people will deal with it in a mature and fair manner now? Will they say that even though they disagree with what happened, there’s no need to destroy them? I doubt it. They’ll continue not being able to do that when it’s incidents from years ago let alone if something happened recently. That’s why I say it’s mostly bullshit. It’s easy to say it’s “trolls being trolls” so that they can carry on as normal.

Therein lies the rub though. A significant proportion of people who use social media are looking for approval and validation and social media platforms are set up primarily to drive that behaviour because they know so many in society now crave attention to validate their lives and deal with their insecurities e.g. likes, friends, etc. It’s sadly one of the main reasons so many girls and women feel the need to demean themselves by posting revealing pictures and videos (just look at that fn awful TikTok).

Rather than focussing on how they feel about themselves they are more concerned about how many people didn’t like the picture of their breakfast, why they only have 103,902 “friends” when someone else has 103,903, etc, etc. It is really quite sad.

Unless the social media platforms aggressively remove negative comments (which I doubt they have the algorithms and/or manpower to do and would ironically remove the attraction for a significant proportion of users thus impacting their commercial model) then if you are going to use these platforms you need to be able to deal with the shit that comes with them, because if you are expecting people to have an epiphany that they should be nice, you will be waiting a very long time.

Hana Kimura’s death is a tragedy like every other death and if it was because of what people were saying on social media then that is even more tragic.

There is a difference between saying it won’t happen, and saying it is lots of people doing it. There are also matters of degree with anything. The point remains that bulking people on the Internet is a bad thing. But it isn’t the same as calling someone out about something bad they did.

Agreed with the first part, anytime anybody groups a large amount of people as being a specific way, its never good. As for the second part I think it depends on how you “call them out”.

Personally I would never tweet anything negative towards a celebrity of any kind on twitter because I do feel that stuff like that is toxic, but I think there is a difference between “Hey @??? what you did was not OK, an apology is in order” vs “You stupid C**T, I hope you die because you’re a piece of sh*t”.

Sure there is also a ton in between, but you get my point. Sometimes people on twitter are brutal, and such hypocrites, and the mob mentality of the minority can fool a person into thinking the entire world is against them and hates them.

3 Likes

Humans are shitty end of.

Depending on how much has been deleted, it might be possible to determine if this was wide spread or just a few individuals.

I’d also guess that she was already having a very serious issue with her mental health before any of this started.

So I guess, what you['re saying is it’s like playing a game.

Yeah, I can appreciate because many people that I admired played this game before, but won by stopping this infantile game. What would Dr. Martin Luther King be if he cared about the opinions of every ignorant white person call him a “nigger” when his quest to bring equality between his race and the “masters?” Not a hero, I wold presume. But he knew that what he was doing was right, and that is to know that what he’s doing is right and those white folks who opposed his mission can rot in hell. Sure he died like Hana Kimura, but his legacy lives on because he wasn’t afraid to go down fighting.

Hana Kimura is nothing like Dr. King, because she failed to realise that she must stop playing this game and trash the fucking socital media accounts before they her life. To quote Captain Piard, “The line must be drawn here, this far, no further.”

That being said, it is helpful that you should take some criticism (I’m referring to you, Vince McMahon), because criticism is important for improvement (I’m referring to your product, Vince McMahon), but only if it’s constructive. The kinds of criticism that Kimura got were destructive and unfounded. I know most Japanese are about perfectionism, just look at NJPW: wrestlers are employed because they have built their reputation and are kept b ecuase they want to do more. But to do that, they separate the wheat from the chaff. They know which comments are relevant and which aren’t, and that is why they are in the level that they are.

I hope my comments are helpful. If not,you can bash it. If your country, your god, and your belief system allows you to ruin my post and misinterpret it, then you are lucky, more so than Hana Kimura. It’s too bad that things like this can affect a young, lovely lady like Kimura, if she read what most of us here are saying, maybe it would not have been too late.

I agree, for call out it would be closer to the former.

In regards to your third paragraph, I completely agree. In addition, unfortunately some people can’t take constructive criticism. I conduct interviews for my place of work all the time, and one of the questions I ask is “Give an example of a time in your life where you encountered constructive criticism, and how you handled it”. I know its not an easy question, but all I’m looking for is for someone to give an example where they took advice and learned from it. You would be shocked at how often I get answers like “I try not to let haters bring me down” or “I would ignore them because they are just jealous” etc. I think its important to teach kids at young age that bashing someone, or taking personal shots at someone because it makes you feel better, is not ok. However, on the other side of the coin, if someone gives you constructive criticism with the intent of helping you, you need to learn from it, and not take it so personally.

Now it Hana Kimura’s case, it sounds like the issue was “fans” going at her personally in a vicious manner not the latter that I spoke of, but all of this needs to be taught to people at a young age. Also, sadly like @Bdubz mentions earlier, some of these younger kids put so much of their self worth into the validation and acceptance they get in the fake world of social media. It is very sad. I truly hope that the next generation that comes up see social media for the cesspool it can be and don’t take it as seriously.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.