Henry Cejudo to be stripped of flyweight title, Benavidez to fight Figueiredo

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2019/12/19/henry-cejudo-to-be-stripped-of-flyweight-title-benavidez-to-fight-figueiredo/

The UFC has one less double champion with the news that Henry Cejudo will be stripped of his 125-pound title and a new champion will be crowned in February.

The news of a championship fight between contenders Joseph Benavidez and Deiveson Figueiredo was reported by BJPenn.com on Thursday followed by an update at MMA Junkie that the fight would be for the vacant title.

Cejudo became UFC flyweight champion in August 2018 at UFC 227 ending the long tenure of Demetrious Johnson, who had not lost a fight at the weight and was the inaugural 125-pound champion. Johnson won the title by defeating Joseph Benavidez at UFC 152 in September 2012.

Cejudo moved up to 135-pounds and defeated T.J. Dillashaw this past January to become a two-division champion and defended the bantamweight title in June with a win over Marlon Moraes. Recover from shoulder surgery has prevented Cejudo from fighting since that time and placed both divisions on hold.

Benavidez and Figueiredo will fight for the title on Saturday, February 29th at an ESPN+ card in Norfolk, Virginia.

In addition to losing to Johnson in September 2012, he lost a rematch to Johnson for the title in December 2013 when he was knocked out in the opening round. Since that fight, Benavidez has won nine of his last ten fights and there are no arguments he deserves to fight for the title.

Figueiredo has a record of 17-1 with a 6-1 mark inside the UFC. His lone loss came by decision to Jussier Formiga this past March and rebounded with wins over Alexandre Pantoja and Tim Elliott this year.

Once Cejudo relinquishes the title, Amanda Nunes will remain the only fighter in the promotion to hold championships at two weight classes.

1 Like

That’s a great fight. Joseph Benavidez is (in my opinion) the best fighter to never hold a championship, and I imagine this will be his final chance to add some gold to his resume.

No surprises that Cejudo isn’t cutting to 125lbs again. Ideally, he should fight Sterling or Yan next, but I’m sure he’ll wind up fighting Dominick Cruz or Jose Aldo.

Cejudo hurt his shoulder reaching for a personality.

Still didn’t find one.

1 Like

Lol nice dig I like what Henry has done during this streak and the bigger fights are at 135. I need to keep up better didn’t know this was happening to I read this.