Originally published at Hiromu Takahashi undergoes surgery for torn left pectoral muscle
Back in February, former 4-time IWGP Junior Heavyweight Champion Hiromu Takahashi relinquished the Junior Title after the news broke that he suffered a torn left pectoral muscle. While speaking to Tokyo Sports, Takahashi confirmed that he underwent successful surgery and he is aiming to return earlier than expected and challenge for the Junior Title.
The injury occurred in February and his operation took place on March 1st. Hiromu was discharged from the hospital on the 6th. Hiromu said the following about the injury:
It seems that after about 3 months, it will completely stick together and return to 90%. The remaining 10% depends on the practice, so I want to go home with 100% or more. It was said that it was a month, but the injury itself will heal in 3 months. It will take about half a year for me to return to the ring, so it’s an injury.
After Hiromu’s injury, a three-way match was held at the 2/28 Castle Attack show that saw El Desperado best El Phantasmo and BUSHI to become Junior Heavyweight Champion. Desperado went on to face IWGP World Heavyweight Champion Kota Ibushi at the Anniversary event several days later.
NJPW is currently in the middle of the New Japan Cup with the next show scheduled for 3/15. Hiroshi Tanahashi is headlining that show against Jay White in a second round match.