HonorClub - New ROH Streaming Service

/?wouldn’t they only have to pay once?

Someone more knowledgeable than I can feel free to correct me but I believe music rights last a period of time and must be repaid once the contract is up in order to renew them and not be in breach. It’s why companies like PROGRESS and Ring of Honor have in-house themes and why PWG edits the entrances for DVD releases; so they aren’t nailed with huge law suits over licensing fees.

Togi Makabe in New Japan uses a Led Zepplin song (I forget which, I think it’s “Immigrant Song” but I’m not totally sure) but the Zep are notoriously expensive when it comes to allowing their tracks to be used in anything - just ask Taika Watiti and the Marvel bods - so instead of paying to let it air, NJPWWorld just cuts the sound on the broadcast any time Makabe enters or wins.

In order to license the themes, even just for Punk and Bryan (and I’d say Joe’s theme was an integral part of his act too, as was Homicide’s) ROH would need to pay a fee to who knows how many record companies every few months or years, for the forseeable future. Because of the way the whole thing is set up it’s just not financially viable for Sinclair.

I’d say their best option, considering they clearly haven’t been doing this already (as I assumed they had been for years before announcing HonorClub) is to copy PWG and edit out the entrances and have little title cards before each match, where you see the entrances but don’t hear the music, that way you get to see the fan response, the streamers, the banging on the guardrail, etc… but they don’t have to fork out a bunch of cash for something that won’t gain them anything financially.

TL;DR - It depends on how each record company wants to deal with it, but usually, no - it’s a constant drain on financial resources.

I’m probably not going to rush into subscribing to this, since I’m happy getting my weekly ROH fix through their weekly program, which is available for free (with ads) on the Fite TV app. I also have a limited budget and I’m already paying $12 CND every month for NJPW World.

First thing I noticed was no wording on past PPVs, only “Access to ROH historical footage, HDNet, exclusive interviews, compilations and more.” Does that mean we can’t watch old “Death before Dishonor” and “Final Battle” shows?

Has Ring of Honor uploaded all its ppv library yet?