IMPACT REPORT: Go-Home Episode for Slammiversary

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/07/14/impact-report-go-home-episode-for-slammiversary/

IMPACT Wrestling

July 14th, 2020

Skyway Studios, Nashville, Tennessee

By: Davie Portman

Commentary by: Josh Matthews and Madison Rayne

This week is the go-home edition of Impact before this Saturday’s Slammiversary!

10 Women Knockouts Tag Team Match

Kiera Hogan, Tasha Steelz, Kimber Lee, Rosemary, and Taya Valkyrie w/ John E. Bravo vs Havok, Nevaeh, Alisha, Susie, and Kylie Rae

This 10 Woman match opens with Havok and Nevaeh double-teaming Tasha Steelz and Kiera Hogan. Havok swiftly takes out Taya and Kimber Lee with kicks to the head. ON the outside Kiera Hogan and Steelz beat down on Nevaeh. Susie takes out the heels with a Somersault Plancha and Alisha follows up by getting thrown on top of everyone by Havok. Havok then hits a Tope Suicida to the outside. Kylie goes to jump to the outside but Taya stops her. The heel team then take advantage of Kylie Rae and isolate her in their corner. Kylie makes the tag to Susie who fires up and takes down Kimber Lee with a Hurricanrana for a two count. Taya and Rosemary takedown Havok with a Double Spear. Alisha counters a double team move into a DDT but gets taken out by a Roundhouse Kick from Kimber Lee. Susie hits Kimber Lee with the Panic Switch (Samoan Driver) for the win.

Havok, Nevaeh, Alisha, Susie, and Kylie Rae defeat Kiera Hogan, Tasha Steelz, Kimber Lee, Rosemary, and Taya Valkyrie via Pinfall in 9 mins 9 secs (plus commercials)

After the match, all the women brawl in the ring and ends with Kylie Rae standing tall after delivering Superkicks to all the heels.

Davie’s thoughts: Fun chaotic match to open the show giving a preview of what to expect in the Gauntlet Match this Saturday. I expect to see a lot of the feuds that have been playing out over the past few weeks between Havok/Nevaeh and Steels/Hogan, Rosemary/Taya, and Kylie Rae/Susie to come to a head during the gauntlet. Commentary made a point that Susie won with Su Yung’s finisher, so maybe we will see her revert to her old gimmick.

Ace Austin and Madman Fulton Road Trip

Ace Austin and Madman Fulton are on a road trip in Dayton Ohio. Fulton is angry as he was told that after leaving oVe he would never have to go back to Ohio again. Ace Austin tells Fulton to trust the process and he will make him better than he was before. Sometimes you have to go back to your roots to progress.

Hernandez vs Rhino Arm Wrestling

We see a highlight package of the Arm Wrestling match between Hernandez and Rhino that is still ongoing since last week. They’ve been battling in the bathroom, around the arena, outside, and many other places.

As the two are arm wrestling, Moose comes in and asks them both to be his tag team partner but they say they’re too busy. Moose slams their fists down causing Rhino to win. Hernandez is angry and refuses to pay up as Moose interfered. Hernandez calls Rhino out to a fight outside

Impact Plus Flashback Moment of the Week

This week’s Impact Plus Flashback Moment of the Week is an Ultimate X Match from Slammeversary 2013 where Chris Sabin defeated Kenny King and Suicide to capture the X Division Championship.

XXXL vs The Deaners

Cousin Jake squares off with Larry D to start the match. Larry D knocks down Jake with a Shoulder Tackle but Cousin Jake manages to get straight back up and hits a Scoop Slam to the big man followed by a Spear into the corner before making the tag to Cody Deaner. Acey Romero gets tagged in and flattens Deaner with a big Crossbody before Pouncing Cousin Jake into the corner. Larry D picks up Cody Deaner who manages to make a tag to Cousin Jake. Larry D slams Deaner with the Powerbomb but doesn’t realize that he’s not the legal man. Cousin Jake runs up behind and rolls Larry D up in a Crucifix Pin for the win.

The Deaners defeat XXXL in 3 mins 22 secs

After the match XXXL attack The Deaners.

Davie’s thoughts: I quite enjoy the big men we have in the tag division in Impact. I find Cousin Jake especially impressive with his mix of strength and speed. This was a very quick match and they managed to fit in as much as they could in the time. I was happy with the angle at the end of the match as I feel we need to see tag teams step up to be seen at the same level as The North. A heel turn for XXXL could be a step in the right direction.

Moose Tries To Recruit Rohit

Rohit Raju is training backstage when Moose approaches him to ask if he will be his tag partner. Rohit is angry because he is always the last to be asked but ultimately agrees to tag with Moose.

Johnny Swinger The Promotional Support Companion

Johnny Swinger is backstage trying to hype up Chris Bey for his X Division Championship match and is assuring him that he still has a plan. Swinger approaches a referee and threatens him with a lawsuit saying that he is Chris Bey’s “Promotional Support Companion”. The referee reverses the decision and lets Swinger be ringside for Bey’s X Division Match.

Chris Bey is trying to chat up Gia Miller and tells her that he has been making Johnny Swinger do all the work for him so that he can be champion. Swinger overhears this and tells Bey that the office still won’t let him in his corner at Slammiversary.

Knockouts Championship Contract Signing

Jimmy Jacobs is hosting the contract signing between Deonna Purrazzo and Jordynne Grace. Purrazzo signs first and says that when you step into the ring with class, sophistication and she’s exiting without the Knockouts Championship. Grace signs next and tells Purrazzo that she doesn’t; ’t know what she’s getting herself into before slamming her face onto the desk.

Shamrock & Callihan/The North Video Package

Next up we have a video package hyping up the Tag Titles Match between The North and Ken Shamrock/Sami Callihan. We see highlights from Callihan and Shamrock’s rivalry. Shamrock says that Callihan didn’t tap out from the Ankle Lock and passed out instead and that’s why he wants him in the corner. Callihan tells the story of the frog and the scorpion and how the frog helped the scorpion across the stream but still got stung. Shamrock says that “if that scorpion stings me” in other words if Callihan turns on him, he will “break that scorpion’s neck”.

Moose & Rohit Raju vs Crazzy Steve & Tommy Dreamer

Tommy Dreamer and Rohit Raju start the match. They both trade Wrist Locks until Dreamer manages to hit a Vertical Suplex and makes the tag to Crazzy Steve. Rohit makes the tag to Moose who hits a huge Fallaway Slam. Steve manages to make the tag to Dreamer, which allows them to double team Moose and get the advantage for a short while. Moose catches Crazzy Steve on the outside but Dreamer hits a Baseball Slide to knock Moose down. Dreamer blocks a Double Axe Handle from Moose and hits a DDT before making the tag to Crazzy Steve. Steve and Rohit then inject a bit of speed into the match. Crazzy Steve hits the Side Russian Leg Sweep followed by submission but Moose breaks it up. As Moose and Tommy Dreamer are fighting on the outside, Crazzy Steve hits a Diving DDT off the second rope to pick up the win.

Crazzy Steve & Tommy Dreamer defeat Moose & Rohit Raju in 6 mins 24 secs

Davie’s thoughts: I didn’t find this match particularly entertaining. As much as I have enjoyed the recent promos between Tommy Dreamer and Moose, I am not looking forward to seeing the actual match and I didn’t find their interactions here particularly good. The best bit of the match was the brief time Crazzy Steve and Rohit had to wrestle with each other.

Ace Austin and Madman Fulton Are “Home”

Ace Austin and Mad Man Fulton arrive somewhere in the car. Austin says “looks like we’re home”.

Backlot Brawl

Hernandez vs Rhino

Hernandez and Rhino have a cinematic style backstage brawl following their arm-wrestling match. Dramatic music is playing as they are fighting over the wad of cash that they were arm wrestling over. They both attempt to choke each other with Hernandez’s bandana. Rhino seems to have won when Hernandez gets back up and throws a traffic cone at him. They continue to hit each other with trash cans, traffic cones, and anything else they can find in the parking lot. The production uses a POV cam as they are punching over so we, the viewer see the punches from the person getting punched. They end up deciding to split the winnings and shake hands.

Davie’s thoughts: For a throwaway, comedy segment I thought this was okay. I do feel these cinematic style matches need to be more creative than just adding dramatic music during a brawl. The use of the POV cam was different and I would like to see more than that. Other than that this was just an uncreative brawl.

Ace Austin Video Package

We see Ace Austin training with Madman Fulton in a montage before Austin cuts a promo. He talks about debuting just over a year ago and not even being booked at last year’s Slammiversary and now he is in the main event. He talks about his appetite for success and how he is going to be the youngest World Champion of all time.

Mystery Opponent Video

We see another “news report” style video that says “not only he will be in attendance but…” before the audio gets distorted and we see clips of many former Impact wrestlers. The video ends with three hands taking the whiskey glasses.

Eddie Edwards Video Package

Eddie Edwards talks about his life and career as we see pictures and clips of him growing up and winning championships. He says that every moment in his life has brought him to this moment at Slammiversary. He says that he has stayed at Impact Wrestling for a reason and that’s because he is meant to be Impact World Heavyweight Champion.

Gym Brawl

Trey is outside walking with Wentz and telling him how much he doesn’t like mysteries. Trey checks his Instagram and sees that Ace Austin is working out at their gym. Trey and Wentz leave to go after Ace Austin.

Music starts to play as Trey and Wentz approach the gym. Ace Austin is in the gym training someone as Madman Fulton watches on. The Rascalz attack Fulton from behind with a trash can and lock him in a cupboard. Fulton breaks out and runs after Wentz. Trey is left in the ring with Austin and starts to attack him. The two brawl in the gym to techno music. Austin starts to get the advantage as he hits Trey with a broom and a folding chair. Trey makes a comeback as Austin accidentally chops a metal pole and is then Superkicked over the ring guard. The two start to brawl on top of a stage in the gym. Trey tries to throw Austin off the stage but Fulton catches him. Wentz runs in with a chair wrapped in barbed wire, so Austin and Fulton leave.

Davie’s thoughts: Compared to the earlier brawl this was a lot better but still not particularly creative. We’ve been wanting to see Trey get his hands on Ace Austin for a while but I feel it should have been saved for the PPV. I did, however, like the look of the gym they were fighting in as it was a different location than we aren’t used to seeing on Impact.

Mystery Fed Ex

The show ends with one final mystery man video. WE see the mystery man put a contract in an envelope and deliver it via Fed Ex. Scott D’Amore received the envelope, reads the contract, and laughs saying “Slammiversary just got even more exciting”.

Davie’s thoughts: I felt like they could have given one more big clue going into Sunday as who the mystery opponent is. I like not knowing and am looking forward to the surprise. However, after building it up for this long they need to deliver. I was hoping to see Rusev make his debut for Impact this weekend but, with the news coming out about him having COVID, that’s not going to happen.

Overall, the wrestling on this show was below par but the video packages and promos to hype up Slammiversary were excellent and made up for it. I feel like I could have done with one solid singles match on the show as all the in-ring action was tags. I’m genuinely looking forward to the majority of the card and will share my predictions below.

4.5 Fed Ex Envelopes Out of 10

Davie’s Slammiversary Predictions

Moose (c) vs Tommy Dreamer (Old School Rules Match for the Unsanctioned TNA World Heavyweight Championship

As much as I have enjoyed the mic work both men have put in going into this match, this is the match I am least interested in. I think Moose will win and then get challenged by one of the former TNA Champions who are making their return.

Davie Predicts: Moose

Alisha Edwards vs. Havok vs. Kiera Hogan vs. Kimber Lee vs. Kylie Rae vs. Nevaeh vs. Madison Rayne vs. Rosemary vs. Susie vs. Tasha Steelz vs. Taya Valkyrie (Number 1 Contender Gauntlet Match)

I think the ultimate destination in the Knockouts Division should be Kylie Rae vs Deonna Purrazzo. With it probably being a few months until the next PPV, they may not want to put Kylie Rae in that Number 1 Contenders spot this early. So I could potentially see Susie turning back to her Su Yung character to get a shot on TV. I would hope they just go with Kylie Rae and have a long build to that title match.

Davie Predicts: Kylie Rae

Willie Mack (c) vs. Chris Bey

I think this match is going to be excellent. Both men are great in the ring and should work together really well. Willie Mack hasn’t been champion for very long and after this week’s angle, I see Johnny Swinger costing Chris Bey his shot and Willie Mack retains.

Davie Predicts: Willie Mack

The North (Ethan Page and Josh Alexander) (c) vs. Ken Shamrock and Sami Callihan (Impact Tag Team Championship)

I’m really happy to see The North in this position. I think they have been excellent inside and outside the ring for a long time and it’s nice to see them in a main event level match. I think to freshen up the division there should be a title switch and I think there are more stories to tell with Shamrock and Callihan as champions moving forward. Eventually, you could put the titles back on The North but I think the timing is right for a title change.

Davie Predicts: Ken Shamrock and Sami Callihan

Jordynne Grace (c) vs. Deonna Purrazzo (Knockouts Championship)

I’m looking forward to this match. I think Deonna Purrazzo should win and become the new champion or it could risk damaging the momentum she has built since leaving NXT. As I mentioned earlier, I see the ultimate destination being Deonna Purrazzo vs Kylie Rae for the Knockouts Championship.

Davie Predicts: Deonna Purrazzo

Ace Austin vs. Eddie Edwards vs. Trey vs. TBD (Impact World Heavyweight Championship)

This should be another great match. I feel all three confirmed men in this match have been putting out some great work and Trey especially has stepped up to the occasion. I really can’t predict who the mystery opponent will be but I think it makes sense to give the title to whoever it is. If not, I could see Ace Austin having a run as the champion because he has been a great heel recently.

Davie Predicts: TBD

Overall, I’m pretty looking forward to this PPV. I think there is a lot of interest going into it with who is going to show up and also the matches on paper look pretty great!

You can check out my thoughts on Slammiversary 2020 on Saturday night when I will join John Pollock and Nate Milton for our POST Show!

2 Likes