IMPACT REPORT: Trey vs. Fulton, Tommy Dreamer's promo on Moose

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/06/30/impact-report-trey-vs-fulton-tommy-dreamers-promo-on-moose/

IMPACT Wrestling

June 30th, 2020

Skyway Studios, Nashville, Tennessee

By: Davie Portman

Commentary by: Josh Matthews and Madison Rayne

The show opens with Josh Matthews announcing that the Impact World Championship has been vacated and that the main event will be Eddie Edwards vs Ace Austin vs Trey for the Championship. There was no mention as to why Tessa Blanchard has vacated the title or why Michael Elgin is not in the match.

Chris Bey w/ Johnny Swinger vs Suicide

Chris Bey starts the match showing off his agility and dance moves. Suicide hits an Arm Drag and mocks Bey’s dancing. Bey starts to show off more of an aggressive side by striking Suicide with punches, stomps, and a Clothesline for a two count. Suicide attempts to submit Bey with an Octopus Stretch followed by a Sunset Flip for a two count. Bey hits a Back Suplex and follows up with a Moonsault off the second rope but Suicide moves. Suicide hits a big Double Stomp to the chest for a two count. Johnny Swinger enters the ring to try and take out Suicide but gets sent to the outside. Suicide leaps off the top to take out both Bey and Swinger. As Suicide climbs to the top rope, Swinger knocks him off allowing Bey to hit the Beymouser for the win.

Chris Bey defeats Suicide via Pinfall in 7 mins 52 secs

Davie’s thoughts: Not a bad opening match for the show, although I feel Chris Bey should be beating someone on the level of Suicide cleanly going into his X Division Championship match at Slammiversary. Suicide was also on top for most of the match, which felt odd considering Chris Bey’s position. At this point, I am kind of over the Suicide gimmick and would love to see some more performers in the X Division

Moose Interview

Moose says the only reason his match is big tonight is that he is in it. Moose criticizes Crazzy Steve for having too much fun and games. Moose says that it wasn’t fun and games, which made him TNA World Heavyweight Champion. He calls himself the real World Champion and a legend.

Davie’s thoughts: This Moose promo wasn’t as funny as some of his previous ones but was still pretty good. Moose is now wearing all white with big gold chains, which I felt added to his character even more. Moose is a constant highlight on Impact every week for me.

Chris Bey and Johnny Swinger

Johnny Swinger is congratulating Chris Bey on his win and says that if they continue that way at Slammiversary he will become the new X Division Champion. A referee walks in on the conversation and says that he is going to make sure that Johnny Swinger is banned from ringside at Slammiversary.

Reno Scum vs TJP & Fallah Bahh

As TJP & Fallah Bahh are making their entrance, Reno Scum attacks them. TJP & Fallah Bahh gets the advantage after a Poetry in Motion followed by a Belly to Belly Suplex to Luster the Legend. Luster rubs TJP’s face in Thornstowe’s armpit before making the tag. The two continue to isolate TJP in their corner and beat down on him. Reno Scum hit an assisted Double Stomp to Fallah Bahh’s back for a two count. The referee loses control of the match as all four start fighting. Fallah Bahh hits the Samoan Drop to Adam Thornstowe, TJP follows up with the Mamba Splash for the win

TJP & Fallah Bahh defeat Reno Scum via Pinfall in 4 mins 53 secs

Davie’s thoughts: TJP & Fallah Bahh continue to impress me as a tag team. There were some fun sequences from both teams here but I am starting to get frustrated when the tag rules are just thrown out. It just seems like a cheap way to make the match exciting. I think TJP & Fallah Bahh could do with a serious feud now or challenge for the titles again.

Locker Room Talk With Madison Rayne

Johnny Swinger opens Locker Room Talk by complaining about being banned from ringside. John E Bravo enters as today’s guest and is asked about his relationship with Rosemary. Bravo denies that there is anything romantic and says that they are “just hanging out”. Rayne introduces Rosemary to the room and Johnny Swinger says that he has a thing for Rosemary. Bravo now stands up for Rosemary and the two begin to argue. Bravo is asked whether he is in love with Rosemary. Before he can answer, Taya enters and asks Rosemary to be her new tag team partner.

The North Address Ken Shamrock

Josh Alexander pokes fun at how Ken Shamrock calls himself the “World’s Most Dangerous Man”, yet he didn’t even make it to the ring for their match last week. Ethan Page then says that Shamrock lacks friends and that’s why he won’t ever be as dangerous as them. Shamrock enters the ring and then Sami Callihan hacks the screen and says “who needs a friend when you’ve got an enemy”. Callihan appears in the ring and helps Shamrock fight off The North before disappearing.

Scott D’Amore is on the phone talking about a great deal and how “a couple of good brothers like you will fit right in here”. The North approach him and complain that they aren’t in their wrestling attire and therefore they weren’t prepared to be attacked. Scott D’Amore mocks outrage and books a Tag Team Championship Match at Slammiversary, The North vs Ken Shamrock & Sami Callihan.

Davie’s thoughts: I think this is a good direction for the tag division. I feel that The North are head and shoulders above everyone in the tag division and feel like a main event act. None of the other teams in Impact are big enough to face them so why not pair two main eventers against them? I think it’s a great idea and should be a pretty entertaining match.

It was also confirmed earlier this week that Doc Gallows and Karl Anderson have signed with Impact Wrestling. This is who Scott D’Amore must have been referencing when he mentioned “Good Brothers”. The tag division is in desperate need of new teams, so I think this will be a good fit for them.

Impact Plus Flashback Moment of the Week

This week’s Impact Plus Flashback Moment of the Week is from April 10th, 2014 where Eric Young beats Magnus for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

Trey Interview

Jimmy Jacobs interviews Trey prior to his match against Madman Fulton. Trey cut a short, intense promo saying that he is going to get revenge on Fulton for the sneak attacks.

“TNA World Heavyweight Championship”

Crazzy Steve vs Moose

As always, Moose gets David Penzer to announce the TNA World Heavyweight Championship match. He then continuously makes him repeat “Mr Impact Wrestling”, until he is satisfied. Steve sends Moose to the outside and attempts a Tope Suicida but Moose catches him and slams him on the ring apron. On the outside, Moose swings Steve into the ring steps, which causes him to bleed from the mouth. Moose follows up by punching away at the ribs. Steve manages to fight back, bites Moose in the face, and hits a Sunset Bomb for a one count. Crazzy Steve fires up and hits a Rolling Senton into the corner, jumps off the top but gets caught and thrown into a Fallaway Slam. Moose follows up with the No Jackhammer Needed Spear for the win.

Moose defeats Crazzy Steve via Pinfall in 8 mins 10 secs

After the match, Moose continues to beat down Crazzy Steve to send a message to the former World Champion scheduled to return at Slammiversary. Referees along with Tommy Dreamer (wearing a protective mask) pull Moose off of Steve. Moose comes back and attacks Tommy Dreamer before leaving.

After the commercial break, Tommy Dreamer is still in the ring and cuts a promo on Moose. He says that he has been in the business for thirty years and has faced thousands of wrestlers but can count the number of wrestlers with the same natural God-given ability as Moose on one hand. Dreamer praises him for being in the NFL but only came to be a professional wrestler for a paycheque. He says that Moose didn’t listen to people like Bill Belichick and Tom Brady in the NFL and since coming to Impact hasn’t listened to friends like Eddie Edwards, Scott D’Amore, and D’Lo Brown and that is why he is also going to be a bust in professional wrestling. Dreamer calls him out for not being good enough to win a World Championship so he had to steal one. He then quotes the Dusty Rhodes “Hard Times” promo and says that everyone in the locker room works hard but Moose just complains. He tells Moose to be a locker room leader and not a locker room cancer. Dreamer finishes the promo saying that Moose was a footnote in the NFL and will now be a footnote in professional wrestling as he is a waste of talent.

Davie’s thoughts: I found the match to be pretty boring. I didn’t buy any of the hope spots for Crazzy Steve and honestly felt it should have just been a quick squash.

The Tommy Dreamer promo after the match was excellent. He proved that he is still an excellent talker and he managed to tie in the real-life history of Moose’s NFL career with his wrestling character. I can’t say I’m too interested in seeing a match between Dreamer and Moose, however, I would be very happy to see Dreamer used as a mouthpiece for whoever the former TNA World Champion is going to be.

Arm Wrestling

Hernandez is betting backstage with the Deaners as they both try to beat him at an arm-wrestling match. Hernandez first beats Cousin Jake easily. Cody Deaner says “double or nothing” and also loses to Hernandez.

Kiera Hogan vs Havok

Kiera Hogan jumps the bell and attacks Havok in the corner. Havok very quickly makes a comeback and throws Kiera all over the ring. Tasha Steelz tries to get involved but Havok knocks her off the apron. Hogan, however, manages to take advantage of the distraction and applies a Sleeper Hold. In the corner, Kiera Hogan uses her hair to choke out Havok. Havok throws Hogan off the top rope and hits repeated Running Boots into the corner. Tasha Steelz gets onto the apron and taunts Havok with her gas mask. Steelz throws the mask to Hogan who hits Havok with it, follows up with a Superkick, and picks up the win.

Kiera Hogan defeats Havok via Pinfall in 5 mins 49 secs (plus commercials)

Davie’s thoughts: I thought Havok showcased some good power moves and her kicks in the corner looked great. The chemistry between Steelz and Hogan is growing more and more each and every week. I’m not usually a big fan of dirty finishes but in this case, it helps build Steelz and Hogan up as big heels in the Knockouts division, so I didn’t mind it.

Moose Interview

Moose is offended by Tommy Dreamer’s words and says that the only thing he knows about him is from what he read on Wikipedia. Moose says that his words were slander and he demands an apology or he will sue him and the company for defamation of character.

Madman Fulton w/ Ace Austin vs Trey

Madman Fulton attempts a Big Boot as soon as the bell rings but Trey uses his speed to send him out of the ring. Trey attempts a Tope Suicida but gets caught and dumped back in the ring. Trey repeatedly attempts dives onto Fulton but gets caught every time. Trey manages to slip out of Fulton’s power moves but eventually gets caught with a big Chokeslam followed by a Gorilla Press Slam. Fulton hits a Reverse Suplex and stands on Trey’s hand. Trey manages to fight back after hitting a Moonsault off the second rope into a Sleeper hold but Fulton manages to counter into a Sidewalk Slam. Trey hits his combo finishing with a second rope Diving Neckbreaker. Trey follows up with a series of Kicks but gets caught in a Northern Lights Suplex after a springboard attempt. Fulton places Trey on the top rope but Trey grabs Ace Austin’s cane and uses it against Fulton for the DQ.

Madman Fulton defeats Trey via Disqualification in 7 mins 15 secs

After the match, Trey attacks Fulton and Ace Austin with a steel chair.

Davie’s thoughts: Madman Fulton has definitely improved a lot having had two pretty good matches two weeks in a row. I didn’t think this was quite as good as his match against Edwards last week but he still managed to show that he can be an effective big man. However, I hope he isn’t going to be the mystery fourth man in the Slammiversary match as I don’t think he is a main eventer yet. I liked Trey’s fire throughout the match, being angry after the sneak attacks. The DQ finish actually made sense as Trey cared more about revenge than the win.

The Golden Robe and Mask

At the end of the show, we see a golden robe and a golden mask with the letter “E” on it. The camera pans up as Superman-esque music is playing. A hand grabs the mask and the screen cuts to black. Possible Eric Young tease?

Davie’s thoughts: Overall, I thought this week’s Impact was on the weaker side. Obviously, they have had a lot happen over the past few weeks that has changed their plans and it is admirable that they are even able to put out a full show. None of the in-ring work particularly cut it this week, with three matches having dirty finished. The highlight of the night was Tommy Dreamer’s excellent promo and The North were entertaining as always. I think the Slammiversary card is looking pretty strong and following the departures of Blanchard and Elgin, the company definitely needs some fresh talent to shake things up.

4 Gas Masks Out of 10