IMPACT WRESTLING REPORT: Aces & Eights tease, Purrazzo's debut match

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/06/23/impact-wrestling-report-aces-eights-tease-purrazzos-debut-match/

IMPACT Wrestling

June 23rd, 2020

Skyway Studios, Nashville, Tennessee

By: Davie Portman

Commentary by: Josh Matthews and Madison Rayne

The show opened with a recap of last week’s episode of Impact. It’s worth noting that there was no mention on the show of the recent #SpeakingOut controversy and Dave Crist and Joey Ryan were not mentioned. Michael Elgin however, was featured in the recap video.

Tasha Steelz w/ Kiera Hogan vs Nevaeh w/ Havok

The match starts with Tasha Steelz talking trash to Nevaeh. As Nevaeh is distracted by Kiera Hogan, Steelz hits a jumping knee and gets the upper hand. Nevaeh starts to fight and hits Good Vibrations but Steelz comes back with a Big Boot for a two count. Steelz goes for a Spear in the corner but Nevaeh dodges causing Steelz to crash into the ring post. Nevaeh follows up with a Running Dropkick and German Suplex. Nevaeh sets up for her finishing move, the Swinging Reverse STO, but Kiera Hogan gets on the apron to distract. As Nevaeh is distracted by Hogan, Steelz rolls her up for the win.

Tasha Steelz defeats Nevaeh via Pinfall in 6 mins 5 secs

Davie’s thoughts: This match was a let down for me. Tasha Steelz has been impressive in her matches the last few weeks but Nevaeh didn’t really show me anything here. The finish of the match was incredibly lazy and actually made Nevaeh look pretty stupid as she could have easily hit her move and won the match. The Impact women’s division is definitely one of the strongest aspects of their promotion, however, this was disappointing.

Deonna Purrazzo on Busted Open Radio

We see a recap of Deonna Purrazzo on Busted Open Radio earlier in the week. During the interview, Jordynne Grace interrupts and says that Deonna is making a name for herself the wrong way and she can’t forgive her for attacking her twice. Deonna calls her jealous and disrespectful for interrupting the interview. Deonna calls herself the face of the Knockout Division and tells Grace that whenever they step in the ring she will become the Knockouts Champion.

After the interview, Deonna is interviewed by Gia Miller. Deonna says that she hasn’t come to Impact wrestling to brawl but to be a champion. She will only fight Jordynn Grace when the title is on the line. Alisha interrupts and says that she would usually come and welcome the new women in the Knockouts Division but she has come to give some advice. Deonna says she doesn’t need her advice and doesn’t want to be affiliated with her family or drama. Alisha tells Deonna to bring her “Virsa Tosa” to the ring and she will bring her “drama”.

Davie’s thoughts: I thought this was a great way to promote this feud. Busted Open Radio is a really popular platform and I think the format really worked. Both Jordynne Grace and Deonna Purrazzo sounded really good and believable. I’m very much looking forward to this match when it happens. The following interview was not as strong and I thought that Alisha sounded really bad. I’m also not sure if she was trying to be funny by saying “Virsa Tosa” or just genuinely didn’t know how to say “Virtuosa”.

Slammiversary “Former World Champion” Video

We have another video of the hooded man, drinking whiskey, watching the breaking news about the released wrestlers. The news report confirms that at least one former World Champion will be returning to Impact Wrestling at Slammiversary.

Johnny Swinger and Rich Swann

Johnny Swinger has invited Rich Swann into his dressing room to ask him to be his and Bey’s partner in the Six-Man Tag Match against The Deaners and Willie Mack. Swann says that he is still injured so he can’t wrestle and that Mack is his best friend. The segment ends with Swinger trying to work out who to ask next.

Impact Plus Flashback Moment of the Week

This week’s Impact Plus Flashback Moment of the Week is from Impact on November 1st, 2012 when Bully Ray calls out Devon for being a member of the Aces and Eights. Members of the Impact roster join Bully to take out the Aces and Eights and the segment. One member of the Aces and Eights is unmasked and revealed to be Doc Gallows.

The North Insult Shamrock

Ethan Page is complaining to Josh Alexander that everyone is paying attention to Ken Shamrock and no one is giving them the attention they deserve. Ken Shamrock walks in and hears Ethan Page insulting him. Shamrock threatens Page but Alexander steps in and says that he will face Shamrock in a match instead.

Moose and Crazzy Steve

Moose is backstage talking to referees and production staff saying that he is confused that no one is respecting him as TNA World Champion. Crazzy Steve comes in and calls him a “fake champion” and mocks Moose by singing a song. Moose challenges Crazzy Steve to a match next week for the “TNA World Heavyweight Championship”.

Deonna Purrazzo vs Alisha

Deonna traps Alisha in a submission hold right away but Alisha makes it to the ropes. Deonna continues to attack the arm of Alisha, weakening it for her Fujiwara Armbar. Purrazzo hits a High Knee to the face followed by a Side Russian Leg Sweep transitioning into the Fujiwara Armbar for an instant tap out.

Deonna Purrazzo defeats Alisha via Submission in 2 mins 56 secs

After the match, Jordynne Grace runs out to attack Deonna. Purrazzo escapes out of the ring and says “on my time” as she poses on the stage.

Davie’s thoughts: Very quick squash match, which saw Alisha getting zero offense in. I think they did a good job in building the Fujiwara Armbar as this deadly weapon that will make people tap out instantly. Deonna looked as smooth as always.

Johnny Swinger Recruiting

Johnny Swinger is now trying to recruit Suicide as their partner in the Six-Man Tag Match. As Swinger is saying how amazing they will be as a team, Suicide leaves.

Swinger is then seen trying to recruit Hernandez. Hernandez says that he will be their partner if Swinger can beat him in an arm-wrestling match. Hernandez wins right away and hands him a Rhino Micro Brawler.

Johnny Swinger then asks Taya Valkyrie to be their partner. Taya says that she would never partner him and goes off looking for John E Bravo.

Ken Shamrock vs Josh Alexander

As Ken Shamrock is making his entrance The North attacks him from behind. Josh Alexander applies the Ankle Lock as Ethan Page stomps down on him. The North continues to beat down on Shamrock as security comes out to check on him. The North exit and leave Shamrock laid out.

Davie’s thoughts: I really like The North as a tag team. I think they are two of the best wrestlers in the company and prove to be very entertaining on the mic. I enjoy the other tag teams in Impact but none of the other teams are on their level. If this is a way to give The North a higher profile match at Slammiversary, I am all for it. I wouldn’t be surprised if we see Sami Callihan team up with Shamrock to challenge The North for the Tag Team Championship as that relationship has been teased over the past few weeks.

Taya Valkyrie vs Susie

Susie hits a Bulldog early in the match for a two count. Susie runs headfirst into the turnbuckle and gets hit by a German Suplex by Taya. As the referee is distracted, John E Bravo chokes Susie using the bottom rope. Susie makes a comeback after hitting a Back Elbow followed by an unorthodox Hurricanrana, which sends Taya headfirst into the turnbuckle. Taya locks Susie in a Surfboard hold and Curb Stomps Susie for a two count. Taya attempts to hit Road To Valhalla but Susie rolls through for a near fall. Taya then hits the Road To Valhalla for the win

Taya Valkyrie defeats Susie via Pinfall in 8 mins 6 secs

After the match, Taya mocks Susie and says that no one buys her good girl act. Kylie runs out to save Taya and takes her out with a Superkick.

Davie’s thoughts: I thought Susie seemed a step off in this match. The way she was moving seemed quite slow and some of her moves just seemed sloppy. There didn’t seem to be much flow to the match and was definitely weaker than I was expecting. On commentary, they were teasing that we may see the return of Su Yung and I feel that this is where the story is probably going. Also, it looks like we’re going to get a match between Taya and Kylie Rae down the line which should be pretty good!

Madman Fulton Interview

Jimmy Jacobs attempts to get an interview with Madman Fulton to find out why he has aligned himself with Ace Austin. Austin interrupts and says that he is the one who does the talking. He says that Fulton wasn’t the weak link in oVe and that he can bring out his full potential. Austin says that the alliance is about success and making him the youngest Impact World Champion of all time.

Johnny Swinger Reveals The Third Man

Johnny Swinger reveals to Chris Bey that their partner is going to be Rohit Raju. Bey is not impressed with Rohit being the partner. Rohit says he isn’t happy about it either but he sold Swinger his used car and it is part of the deal. Bey is not happy about it and walks off.

Chris Bey, Johnny Swinger & Rohit Raju vs The Deaners & Willie Mack

The Deaners and Willie Mack take it in turns to take out Rohit Raju. Chris Bey gets tagged in and Cousin Jake tags Willie Mack in but Bey decides not to fight him and tags Swinger into the match. The babyfaces all take out the heels with a Clothesline to the outside. Cousin Jake hits a huge Spear in the corner to Rohit and lays out Bey with a Clothesline. He makes the tag to Willie Mack who goes to the top but Rohit knocks him off. The match breaks down and everyone hits their signature moves. Bey rolls up Mack for a near fall. Mack hits Rohit with the Stunner but gets hit by the Beymouser by Chris Bey for the win.

Chris Bey, Johnny Swinger & Rohit Raju defeat The Deaners & Willie Mack via Pinfall in 7 mins 50 secs (plus commercials)

Davie’s thoughts: I thought this was a really fun match and easily match of the night so far. Cousin Jake has been really impressing me recently. He moves really well for a big guy and has a lot of personalities. Although the rules kind of got thrown out the window during the match, it did make it a lot more entertaining with everyone hitting their big moves. Now that Chris Bey has a pinfall victory over Willie Mack it seems like we will be getting that X Division Title match at Slammiversary.

Reno Scum and TJP/Fallah Bahh

Reno Scum approach D’Lo Brown backstage and call him a sellout. TJP and Fallah Bahh approach them and are mad because they accused them last week of attacking Trey. A match is set up between the two teams for next week.

Next Week

TJP & Fallah Bahh vs Reno Scum

Kiera Hogan vs Steelz

Moose vs Crazzy Steve (TNA World Heavyweight Championship)

Jordynne Grace vs Deonna Purrazzo (Knockouts Championship) confirmed for Slammiversary

Madman Fulton vs Eddie Edwards

Fulton knocks down Edwards early in the match with a big Back Elbow. Edwards sends Fulton to the outside and runs to hit a Tope Suicida but Fulton stands tall and beckons him to come at him. Fulton is very dominant for the majority of the match. Edwards attempts to get back into the match with a Vertical Suplex but Fulton counters with one of his own. Edwards finally makes a comeback and hits a Tope Suicida sending Fulton crashing into the guard rail. As Edwards is catching his breath, Fulton rises behind him like a monster coming back from the dead. Edwards hits a Blue Thunder Bomb for a two count. Edwards hits a Top Rope Hurricanrana and Ace Austin gets on the apron to distract. Edwards knocks Austin off the apron and hits the Tiger Driver for a near fall. Edwards goes for the Boston Knee Party but gets caught in a Lifted Reverse STO for the win.

Madman Fulton defeats Eddie Edwards via Pinfall in 11 mins 6 secs (plus commercials)

Davie’s thoughts: I actually thought this was a pretty good match. I have not been impressed by Madman Fulton in the past but I thought he played the role of the dominant monster very well here. It was important to give him a win to establish him in this new role but I found it confusing why he would pin someone who is going to be in the title match at Slammiversary and cleanly too.

Getting The Band Back Together

The show ends with D’Lo Brown talking to someone on his laptop saying “It’s time to get the band back together”. As he leaves he picks up an Aces and Eights jacket.

Davie’s thoughts: It seems like they are teasing a lot of possible past returns for Slammiversary. I hope that if they are bringing Aces and Eights back together it is just for a one-night thing. I think Impact has been doing well in recent weeks with their storytelling and I don’t think they should be relying on the past too much.

Overall, this was a weaker show as far as match quality goes but it’s nice to see the card coming together for Slammiversary. Deonna Purrazzo vs Jordynne Grace and Chris Bey vs Willie Mack are the two matches I’m most looking forward to as I feel they will provide the best quality wrestling. It will be interesting to see if Fulton now gets inserted into the main event after his win over Edwards, especially now that it looks like Elgin may be out.

5 Aces and Eights Jackets Out Of 10