IMPACT WRESTLING REPORT: Grace vs. Dashwood, #Heath4IMPACT

Originally published at https://www.postwrestling.com/2020/09/23/impact-wrestling-report-grace-vs-dashwood-heath4impact/

IMPACT Wrestling

September 22nd, 2020

Skyway Studios, Nashville, Tennessee

Commentary by: Josh Matthews and Madison Rayne

X Division Championship Number 1 Contenders Match

Chris Bey vs Trey Miguel vs TJP

This week’s episode of IMPACT starts with a Triple Threat Match where the winner will go on to immediately face Rohit Raju for the X Division Championship. As expected the match starts at a really fast pace. Chris Bey sends TJP out of the ring with a Springboard Arm Drag. Trey immediately comes back in the ring and hits a Standing Moonsault on Bey for a two count. TJP attempts an Octopus Stretch on Trey but can’t quite lock it in so transitions to a Crucifix Pin attempt for a near fall. Chris Bey hits a Reverse DDT on TJP whilst hitting Trey with a Flatliner at the same time. Bey attempts to pin both men but only picks up a two. TJP applies a Sharpshooter on Trey whilst also applying the Camel Clutch on Bey. TJP then applies a Muta Lock to Trey but Bey breaks up the hold with a Double Stomp to the stomach. TJP hits the Three Amigos to Bey and then goes to the top. Trey runs to the top but is knocked off and Moonsaults over Chris Bey, landing on his feet. Bey looked genuinely concerned here as Trey almost landed on him. Trey has an awesome sequence ending with a Reverse Neckbreaker to TJP for a near fall. Trey leaps off the top rope for a Splash onto TJP but is caught with a Cutter from Bey for another near fall. TJP applies the Kneebar to Bey, but Trey leaps off the top rope with the Fresh Prince of Midair (Double Knees) and picks up the win.

Trey Miguel wins via Pinfall in 7 mins 12 secs

Davie’s thoughts: This match did not disappoint at all and was an excellent opener to the show. All three men were incredibly innovative and worked a different style of Triple Threat than I’m used to seeing as there was rarely a moment when it was just one on one as one of the wrestlers is on the outside. I think these three are some of the most exciting singles performers to watch on Impact and I wouldn’t mind seeing them mix it up with each other more often.

X Division Championship

Trey Miguel vs Rohit Raju

Rohit rolls up Trey and uses the tights to pick up the win in eight seconds.

Rohit Raju wins via Pinfall in 8 seconds

Eric Young talks about how he has had seven days to think about what Rich Swann said last week. He says that his conscience is clear and anything that happens to Rich Swann at Bound For Glory is Scott D’Amore and Rich Swann’s fault.

Tenille Dashwood Interview

Gia Miller knocks on the door of Tenille Dashwood for an interview but her photographer Kaleb (with a K) answers and says that she is having her bee venom therapy but will be ready for her big return tonight. Tenille comes out and Kaleb says that she isn’t meant to get up for another hour. Tenille says that it reminds her of her favorite quote “strength grows in moments when you think you can’t go on but you keep going anyway” and that she is ready for her match.

Kimber Lee w/ Deonna Purrazzo vs Susie w/Kylie Ray

Kimber Lee starts the match by doing the splits. Susie tries to do the splits too but Kimber Lee tries to roll her up for a pin. Kimber Lee does her bow pose and Susie copies her and asks for a truce, which Kimber Lee doesn’t agree with. Both trade Headlock Takedowns and Susie hits a Bulldog for a two count. Kimber Lee hits a Tilt A Whirl Backbreaker for a two count. Susie gets Dropkicked out of the ring and as the referee is distracted Deonna Purrazzo attacks her on the floor. Kimber Lee hits a series of Kicks followed by a Roundhouse for a two count. Susie goes for a Hurricanrana off the top rope but Kimber Lee catches her and applies a Boston Crab. Susie starts to fight back with some Palm Strikes and a Lou Thesz Press. Susie hits a Leg Scissors sending Kimber Lee headfirst into the top turnbuckle for a two count. Kimber Lee hits a Sit-Out Powerbomb for another near fall. As the referee is distracted, Purrazzo tries to grab Susie’s leg but Susie fights it off causing Deonna to inadvertently hit Kimber Lee. Susie hits the Panic Switch to pick up the win

Susie defeats Kimber Lee via Pinfall in 8 mins 18secs (Plus commercials)

After the match, Susie begins to transition into Su Young but Kylie Rae snaps her out of it. Purrazzo then runs into the ring and attacks both Kylie and Susie. Purrazzo applies the Fujiwara Armbar to Susie but Kylie Rae Superkicks her out of the ring. Kylie gets on the mic and says that she is the Number One Contender and is going to challenge her for the Knockouts Championship at Bound For Glory.

Davie’s thoughts: After they got away from the terrible comedy at the start of the match, I felt these two had a pretty good match. Kimber Lee looked impressive and I really like her kicks. Susie’s character work sometimes gets in the way of her performing well and at times looks like she is moving in slow motion and is slightly awkward. She definitely isn’t as polished as some of the other women in the Knockouts Division. The angle after the match worked well in setting up what I’m sure is going to be a fantastic championship match between Kylie Rae and Deonna Purrazzo at Bound For Glory.

#Heath4IMPACT

We get another Heath (don’t call him Slater) commercial where he is trying to get a contract at IMPACT Wrestling. He says that he uses to have a last name but a billionaire now has it locked in a safe. We see news reports of Heath getting fired. Heath says that he needs this job for his kids. His daughters come up to him and ask if they can get a water slide for their pool and Heath turns to the camera with sad eyes. Heath says that he also needs the job because he loves wrestling. He says that he can go wherever he wants but he wants to go to IMPACT Wrestling because it has some of the best competition in the world and his best friend (Rhino) works there. Rhino then says that you can help Rhino Preservation by supporting #Heath4IMPACT. They both try and get the hashtag trending. Rhino says that it is not just him that wants Heath in IMPACT Wrestling but many people in the entertainment business. We then see Cameo messages from David Hasselhoff, Flava Flav, Olympic Medalist Nancy Kerrigan, Chuck Norris telling Scott D’Amore to give Heath a job. D’Lo Brown (credited as DeLorian Brown) also cuts a promo trying to get Heath a job. The commercial ends with Heath’s daughters pleading Scott D’Amore to give him a job.

Davie’s thoughts: I haven’t been keen on Heath retreading the “I Got Kids” gimmick but this was by far the best video they’ve put out since Heath came into IMPACT and some of it was pretty funny. I especially enjoyed the Cameo’s as it was quite clear that the celebrities had no idea who Heath or Scott D’Amore is. Heath’s kids at the end were also adorable and I can’t see how Scott D’Amore can say no to them!

Motor City Machine Guns

The Motor City Machine Guns are backstage when The Good Brothers come in asking for a thank you for stepping in to take the place of “those young boys” The Rascalz, last week. Wentz and Dez enter and are offended at being called “young boys”. Wentz says that they have hung with and beaten some of the best teams in the company and that they have earned the Motor City Machine Guns respect. Now they are demanding The Good Brothers’ respect and they want a match. The Good Brothers accept a match but don’t promise that they will give them respect.

IMPACT Plus Flashback Moment of the Week

This week on the IMPACT Plus Flashback Moment of the week we see a highlight from Bound For Glory 2013 where AJ Styles defeated Bully Ray in a No DQ Match for the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

EC3 Gives Out Moose’s Phone Number

EC3 says he knows what it’s like to be stolen from. He knows what it’s like to have the TNA World Heavyweight Championship stolen from him. He says that it makes you feel angry and scared but these are the times we must unite and “control your narrative”. EC3 says that we must all help Moose find the TNA World Heavyweight Championship and therefore reads out Moose’s phone number so we all can pass on any relevant information.

Taya and Rosemary On The Same Page

Taya Valkyrie approaches Rosemary backstage asking her where she was for her match last week. Rosemary tells her that she was unconscious backstage after being attacked by Havok. Rosemary says they need to be on the same page so if she helps Taya with her situation she will help her with hers. Taya agrees and says that she will help Rosemary out with her situation first as that’s what friends do. Taya says that Bravo has the wedding under control and is becoming his own man.

Bravo’s Groomsmen

We cut to John E Bravo telling The Deaners, Crazzy Steve, Johnny Swinger, Fallah Bahh, and Alisha Edwards that they are all his groomsmen. Alisha says that she is part of the bridal party. Bravo asks if she is here to help or not and Alisha calls him a “dictator”. Bravo says they all need to buckle down and get ready to work. The Groomsmen all say they are only there for the Batchelor party and not to work. Bravo says that they need to work and tells Cody Deaner that if it wasn’t for him bringing Cody into Wrestle House he wouldn’t be relevant. Cody says that he has a match tonight and therefore he is out of there. Johnny Swinger is mad that Fallah Bahh is the Best Man instead of him and the two start arguing. Tommy Dreamer comes in to call for “Match Time” but Bravo tells him to go away as they aren’t at Wrestle House anymore. Bravo says there is a lot of work to be done and asks them all who is good at landscaping and scrapbooking as the segment ends.

Tommy Dreamer Confronts Brian Myers

Gia Miller tries to interview Brian Myers backstage but he doesn’t want to talk. She asks about him cheating to get the win over Willie Mack and Myers gets angry and flips over a table. Tommy Dreamer enters and tells Myers to calm down. Dreamer tells Myers that this is a place for a new start and that he must respect this place. Dreamer tells him to clean it up and not disrespect the company and locker room. Myers refuses and says that he is the same age Dreamer was when he hired him and that he isn’t a kid. Myers says that he wouldn’t let his own father talk to him like that. Dreamer says that if he talked to his father that way he would slap his face but Myers says that he would slap his. Myers agrees to clean up the mess but says that if he sees Dreamer in the hallway again, he better walk the other way.

Davie’s thoughts: I haven’t been a fan of Brian Myers since coming into IMPACT Wrestling but I thought this segment was pretty good. Both Myers and Dreamer performed it really well and I liked how they brought the fact that Dreamer was the one who hired him back in the day into the story. The idea of a Myers vs Dreamer match doesn’t really interest me in the slightest but I feel the build to the match could be really good if both perform at this level.

Eric Young Attacks The Deaners

As Cody Deaner and Cousin Jake are making their entrance, Eric Young comes out and attacks them, both with his title belt. Young screams that “this world belongs to me” before Cody tries to fight back. Young rakes the eyes of Deaner before delivering the Sitout Piledriver. Deaner sells the Piledriver by twitching like he has had spinal damage. Eric Young says “you remind me of Eddie. You remind me of Rich. My conscience is clear.” He then tries to break the ankle of Cody Deaner as Cousin Jake runs out for the save. Eric Young retreats but then comes back to attack Cousin Jake and hits him with the Piledriver. Young grabs the microphone and says that this is all Scott D’Amore’s fault. As Eric Young is about to leave he turns to Cody Deaner and asks if he was going to sneak up on him and continues to attack him. Young then turns his attention to Cousin Jake and tries to break his ankle. Security ran out to try and stop him but Eric Young fights them off. Scott D’Amore then comes out and asks what he is doing and tells him that this isn’t him and not what he worked all his career for. Young goes to attack Scott D’Amore when Eddie Edwards runs out for the save.

Davie’s thoughts: I thought this angle went on for far too long. I have no problem with Eric Young attacking someone each week until Scott D’Amore gives him what he wants but the problem was the angle went on for so long that it made Eddie Edwards look weak for leaving it so long to come out for the save.

Eddie Edwards Gets a Title Shot

Backstage, an irate Eddie Edwards screams at Scott D’Amore that he wants to get his hands on Eddie Edwards and why does Rich Swann get a title match before him? D’Amore grants Eddie Edwards the title match at Victory Road.

Rob Van Dam vs Sami Callihan (If Van Dam wins, Katie Forbes gets to spend five minutes in the ring with Sami Callihan)

Sami Callihan immediately attacks Rob Van Dam during his entrance and throws him against the guard railing. Sami throws Rob Van Dam into the ring but Katie Forbes grabs the ankle of Callihan allowing Van Dam to kick him back to the outside. RVD hits the Rolling Thunder on the floor. Van Dam hits a Spinning Wheel Kick on the outside and sends Callihan into the ring allowing the match to officially start. As the referee is distracted Katie Forbes attacks Callihan in the ropes. Van Dam applies a Camel Clutch but Callihan bites the hand to break the hold. The two start trading Jabs and Uppercuts until Van Dam Rakes the eyes of Callihan and then Callihan returns the favor. Sami hits a DDT for a two count. As the referee is distracted, Katie Forbes sprays hairspray in the eyes of Callihan allowing Rob Van Dam to pick up the win.

Rob Van Dam defeats Katie Forbes via Pinfall in 6 mins 3 secs (plus commercials)

After the match, Katie Forbes’ five minutes in the ring with Callihan begins. Forbes attacks Sami Callihan with the help of Van Dam. They place a chair on top of Callihan and RVD goes to the top for the Frog Splash but Callihan gets back up and throws the chair at Van Dam. Forbes goes to slap Callihan but he catches her and hits her with a Piledriver before counting a fake pinfall.

Davie’s thoughts: I found this incredibly boring. The story between these three has been at times painful to watch. The brawl at the start of the match on the outside went on for far too long and I don’t feel works in the empty arena setting. I did, however, think that Forbes sold the Piledriver well.

The North Challenge Austin and Fulton

Gia Miller is backstage with Ace Austin and Madman Fulton who says that he is the man who always has a plan and last week he pinned Chris Sabin, which means that he and Fulton should be next in line for the Tag Team Championship. The North interrupts and says that they own this division. Ethan Page makes fun of Madman Fulton saying that he can’t count as high as the number of days they were Tag Champions. Fulton gets in the face of Page but Page doesn’t back down and challenges them to a match next week.

Davie’s thoughts: I really like that it looks like The North is moving into a tweener role and possibly babyfaces. Ethan Page is so good on the microphone and both guys are so good in the ring that I feel these two would work excellently in a face role and it can really refresh their characters. I always look forward to seeing The North in action and feel like this could be a pretty good match next week.

Next Week

Johnny Swinger vs Fallah Bahh (The Winner will be John E Bravo’s Best Man)

Rosemary & Taya vs Nevaeh & Havok

The Rascalz vs The Good Brothers

Ace Austin & Madman Fulton vs The North

Tenille Dashwood vs Jordynne Grace

As David Penzer is introducing the main event, Kaleb (with a K) interrupts. He introduces Tenille Dashwood to the ring by saying that she has more followers on Instagram than anyone else in the company and it’s all about her.

Jordynne Grace dominates the early part of the match after hitting Clotheslines and a big Beal Toss. Grace goes for a Baseball Slide to the outside but Tenille gets out of the way, starts to pull at her hair, and gains control. Grace fights back with a Back Elbow, goes for a Powerslam but Dashwood slips out and hits a Reverse DDT for a two count. Grace delivers some stiff Clotheslines to the front and back of Dashwood before delivering the Michinoku Driver for a near fall. Dashwood delivers a Double Stomp to Grace as she is in the Tree Of Woe and follows up with the Taste of Tenille (fka Emma Sandwich) for a two count. Grace fights back with a Spinebuster for a two count of her own. Dashwood ducks a Clothesline but Grace hits her in the back of the head instead. Kaleb (with a K) tries to get involved and as Grace is distracted, Dashwood hits her with the Spotlight Kick (very similar to the Claymore) for the win.

Tenille Dashwood defeats Jordynne Grace via Pinfall in 9 mins 4secs

Davie’s thoughts: I thought this was a strong and entertaining main event with both women working really well together. It’s really nice to see Tenille Dashwood wrestling again and I thought she looked really good here. Jordynne Grace, as always, looked great and I hope they find enough interesting things for her to do now that she seems to be out of the title picture.

Eddie Edwards Attacked

At the end of the show, we see Eddie Edwards backstage heading for the exit when the lights go out and we hear him getting attacked. The lights come back on and we see that Edwards has been laid out.

Davie’s thoughts: Overall, I thought this episode had some great moments to it but it did start to drag in the latter part before the main event. There were a lot of talking segments back to back that should have been broken up by a match as I felt it really dragged the pace down. The highlights of the night were definitely the X Division Triple Threat, Tenille Dashwood vs Jordynne Grace, and Heath’s video. I would have perhaps liked to have seen the main event go a little longer and cut some of the time away from the Eric Young segment.

6 Cameos Out Of 10

Are Impact trying to make WWE’s failed gimmicks work?

• Trying to get Curt Hawkins over

• Sami Callahan’s hacker gimmick

• Tenielle is Emmalina